xc-230: model AXC-230B DT.B61EQ.007

wrap
wrap Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
 my router deliver 200 mbps, but my laptop only links 10 mbps ?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Wired or wireless connection? Where do you see the 10mbps number?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • wrap

Tinkerer

Its a wired connection (1,5 mtr CAT6a)(CAT7). My network tell me that the connection only link 10 mbps (port 1 from router), but at speedtest its about 20 mbps. (still way too low) My laptop has a integrated LAN 10/100/1000, so I dont understand whats wrong with the connection  ....
  • billsey
    What is the brand and model number of your router? It might be on that side that's connecting wrong.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • wrap

Tinkerer

ICOTERA i4850-00 router. I connected my old PC, and tested the speed: download 168 mbps - upload 211 mbps, so it seems to be OK 
  • billsey
    OK, that router pretty much should support up to gigabit on that port. Let's check to make sure Windows doesn't have the port throttled:
    Here is how it can be done.
    1. Open the Settings app in Windows 10.
    2. Go to Network & Internet -> Ethernet if you are using a wired connection.
    3. Click the link Change adapter properties: ...
    4. Double click the adapter whose speed you need to know.
    Capture a screenshot and lets see what it displays.
  • wrap

Tinkerer

The speed is 1GB, and all my drivers are updatet via DRIVERFINDER
  • billsey
    What you show looks like a crop from Device Manager, not from the Ethernet properties...
  • wrap

Tinkerer

Sorry ... 
  • billsey
    Well that's showing a 1Gbps connection, as expected. So it's not a hardware or port configuration issue. Are you running your speed tests through the VPN connection or directly? Which speed test are you using?
  • wrap

Tinkerer

Tested via downloaded OOKLA speedtest. Without VPN installed, the speed is something like 56/56 mbps 
  • billsey
    Can you boot into safe mode with networking and try the test again? There is likely something pulling your system down running in the background. That test will determine if it's a Windows process or some other app/driver.

• wrap

Tinkerer

Deleted the OOKLA spedd app, and downloaded it again. My PC doesent like that app - went in slowmotion, so i deleted it again. Booted into safe mode, and used some lokal speedtest on the internet: download 51,2 mbps upload 231,2 mbps - OOKLA on the net: down 14,61 Up 145,16  
  • billsey
    Those numbers are just backwards from what I typically see. Usually uploads run about 10% (or in my neck of the woods 5%) of downloads. This is because almost everyone pulls things like web pages down to view them, but seldom are they putting stuff up on the web, unless backing up to the cloud. Anyway, it looks like your speeds are actually pretty good. :) Now to see if they change much when booted into the normal Windows instead of safe mode.
  • wrap

Tinkerer

Into normal mode: Waoo - down/up 23.8/117.1 - 25.7/100.9 - Bredbånd - 51.3/130.2 - 54.4/132.7  - Testmyspeed - 55.6/105.1 - 37.1/109.0
  • billsey
    I wonder if your ISP is giving you a symmetrical signal, but over subscribed... Did you still get the same results with the other computer?
  • wrap

Tinkerer

My old computer download/upload: Waoo 128.0/230.8 - 136.0/231.2 - Bredbånd 158.0/230.9 - Testmyspeed 176.8/230.8 - 189.6/230.8  -
    (Ookla 35.79/213.97 - 159.88/67.15) ??
  • billsey
    OK, let's see if there are any other drivers for your Ethernet port. The newest from Acer is dated 2015, so what Microsoft will deliver through Windows Update is likely newer. Bring up Properties on the port and capture here the Realtek model number and driver version. Some older gig ports used the processor for packet decoding and that could affect overall speed.
  • wrap

Tinkerer

The driver is named RealTek PCle gbe Family Controller 10.23.1003.2017 and updatet via Microsoft Update and by using DRIVERFINDER. The test today : download 41.7 upload 107.1 mbps
  • billsey
    OK, so that is quite a bit newer than the one on the Acer support site, 10.1 vs. 10.23. The service manual doesn't state which Realtek controller is installed, it's likely something like the RTL8xxxxx models. Realtek has 10.38 drivers on their site, but we'll want to figure out which chip it is before trying to install it. It initially looks like their package fits a bunch of different chips, from the 10/100 to the 1.5G, but better safe than sorry. Check to see if any of the system info type apps state which chips is used.
  • wrap

Tinkerer

Sorry, I cant find anything like that ....