Whether linux can run on this pcn? predator 3000

Genetic
Genetic Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
En av ordningene når jeg kjøpte denne pcn hos elkjøp så var det at denne kunne oppere med Linux. Men jeg får det ikke til...har prøvd de fleste versionene jeg liker og har sett litt på. Kommer ikke inn i systemet skikkelig og får noen merkelige feilmeldinger.. Er det systemlåst, hvordan i tilfelle kan dette fikses? Må dette gjøres i butikken, eller kan jeg enkelt "unlock" den selv?

mvh

Genetic

Tankk

One of the schemes when I bought this pcn at electricity purchase was that it could operate with Linux. But I don't get it ... have tried most versions I like and have looked at a bit. Does not get into the system properly and gets some strange error messages .. Is it system locked, how in case can this be fixed? Does this have to be done in the store, or can I easily "unlock" it myself?

mvh

Genetic

Tankk

Edited the Content from Norwegian to English
By
Acer-Erick

Answers

• inform the model of your devices. Example g3-571-58vh.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Genetic
    edited February 2020
    hvordan finner jeg ut av det? jeg er vant til bygge pcer. men min ble ødelagt under flytting så jeg kjøpte denne med garati av butikken at det gikk an. acer predator 3000 før nyttår.

how do i find out? I'm used to building PCs. but mine was destroyed during relocation so I bought this with the store's guarantee that it was possible. acer predator 3000 before new year.

Edited the Content from Norwegian to English
    By
    Acer-Erick
  • Please answer in English.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Genetic
    well, i got theese facts from store that it should support linux. i cant get it to work, believe me i have tried many versions and no one consults to work on this device.

I want linux to opperate on it aswell.

its is pc "acer predator 3000".

I dont know what youre talking baoutl

but, they recomended that they should do it. i wonder,

are there any applications that will unlock the hardware on it so i can run Linux instead of any windows 10 os related?
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2020
    These are steps to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on most Acer desktops with SATA Mode=AHCI

1. Backup your important personal files. (Very important)
    2. Create a Windows USB recovery drive with Acer Care Center app and put in a safe place. (Very important)
    https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38145/~/windows-10%3A-create-a-usb-recovery-drive-using-acer-care-center
    3.  Go in to Windows Disk Management and shrink your C: drive by at least 35 GB
    4.  Disable fast start up
    5. Create Ubuntu installation media with rufus and the Ubuntu ISO with rufus settings:  GPT, UEFI (non CSM), FAT32

https://rufus.ie/

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

6. Go in to your BIOS settings and disable secure boot, and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit.
    7. Boot the Ubuntu USB by tapping the F12 key at Acer post/boot logo
    8. Install Ubuntu alongside Windows
    9. When the computer restarts, if you don't get the grub menu and it boots to Windows, then add grub from a Windows admin command prompt...you type:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

10. You **should** now be able to enable secure boot.

https://translate.google.com/

Optional Step: Make sure you have the latest BIOS version

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Important Note:

If you go in to your BIOS settings and see that your SATA Mode is RST with Optane instead of AHCI, then @egydiocoelho will explain (hopefully) how to properly switch your desktop to AHCI.  If your SATA Mode is already AHCI then disregard this note.

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
    Acer-Samuel
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • It is always recommended to enable secure boot of windows, before changing sata mode to ahci!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Genetic
    Well, as i know, Ubuntu is supported for windows hardware. But i am intressted in Linux Mint . www.linuxmint.com 
  • In this case, if you want to use the dual boot scheme, enable secure boot on windows and enable ahci mode. This way, you will install linux, which will recognize the hdd or ssd in the installation, next to the windows boot manager.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JordanB
    edited February 2020
    Sorry, I don't have a clue whether or not Mint or Ubuntu will work properly on your predator desktop. The instructions for dual booting Mint are identical to Ubuntu.  Mint uses the same path   \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

If you decide you want to get rid of Mint or Ubuntu....and  no longer wish to dual boot.

1. Go to Windows Disk Management and delete the Ubuntu/Mint
    2. In Windows Disk Management, expand your C drive
    3. Open an admin command prompt and follow the guide below on how to delete linux EFI entries. 

• Genetic
    Wheni try to boot from usb it miss matches my hard composits, like it refuses to work with them. is this cause and hardware lock? 

or should i delive it in to store and let them do it?
  • JordanB
    Genetic said:
    Wheni try to boot from usb it miss matches my hard composits, like it refuses to work with them. is this cause and hardware lock? 

or should i delive it in to store and let them do it?
    I’m sorry but I’m all out of suggestions.  Maybe @egydiocoelho can help or you can take to store. 
  • When you say "hard composits", are you referring to the hard disk (HDD) that is not identified by the linux installation? If so, try changing the sata mode to ahci.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JordanB
    edited February 2020
    A better option for a lot of people is to just use Virtual Box instead of dual booting.   But again, you still need to always keep your files backed up and make sure you create your Windows USB recovery drive with Acer Care Center and then put the USB in envelope and label it....and keep in a safe place before attempting to use Virtual Box.  Virtual Box is decent option for a powerful desktop such as predator 3000.  You probably need a minimum of 16 GB ram.....so it's not sluggish.

https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38145/~/windows-10%3A-create-a-usb-recovery-drive-using-acer-care-center

Here's a tutorial for Virtual Box.  There's lots of tutorials on internet or youtube.

https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-in-virtualbox/

https://linuxmint.com/download.php