Connect 2 monitors to laptop? Acer Nitro 5

Robert631
Robert631 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Nitro Gaming
I have an Acer Nitro 5 which only has 1 HDMI port. It has a USBC port but it does not have the lightning bolt. 

I've been using 1 external monitor as an extension so far and it works fine but I'd like to connect another monitor: 2 external monitors (excluding the laptop screen)
I purchased a HDMI splitter from amazon and it does not work, the 2nd external monitor can't even be manually detected.

Is there a splitter/adapter that I can purchase that allows 2 external monitors to my laptop that extends? (not mirror the displays)

My first external monitor has: VGA, DVI and HDMI ports
My second external monitor has: HDMI and VGA ports. 
As stated earlier, my laptop only has ONE HDMI port. 
[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Best Answer

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Which Nitro 5 model do you have? I'd guess your best chance is of the USB-C port supports video. There are six different Nitro 5 models just on the US site, and numerous others for other locales.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Robert631

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Which Nitro 5 model do you have? I'd guess your best chance is of the USB-C port supports video. There are six different Nitro 5 models just on the US site, and numerous others for other locales.
    Mine is GTX 1050 Ti, 256 GB SSD, with i5 
    I've already tried a USBC to HDMI cord, it doesn't work, which is why im looking for a splitter/adapter
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Yeah, if you can't get video off one of the USB ports you are out of luck. There's only one signal on the HDMI port.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DDub
    DDub Member Posts: 3 New User
    Robert631 said:
    For anyone wondering, I've found the solution.

The acer nitro 5 has a USB 3.0 port on the left side so i ordered a USB 3.0 docking station with a HDMI input.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X5VH1LJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

all 3 screens (including laptop screen) works now and they all extend and not mirror
    Am I reading this correctly? You have 1 external monitor connected via the laptop HDMI, and a second external monitor connected via the HDMI port from the USB docking station? And all 3 monitors are extended?

Thanks!
  • Robert631

Tinkerer

DDub said:
    Robert631 said:

The acer nitro 5 has a USB 3.0 port on the left side so i ordered a USB 3.0 docking station with a HDMI input.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X5VH1LJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

all 3 screens (including laptop screen) works now and they all extend and not mirror
    Am I reading this correctly? You have 1 external monitor connected via the laptop HDMI, and a second external monitor connected via the HDMI port from the USB docking station? And all 3 monitors are extended?

Thanks!

Yup. That's correct. All 3 are extended. I bought this in January and it's still working fine today.
  • DDub
    Robert631 said:
    DDub said:
    Robert631 said:

Thanks!

Yup. That's correct. All 3 are extended. I bought this in January and it's still working fine today.
    Thanks! Will definitely give this a try.
  • DDub
    Robert631 said:
    DDub said:
    Robert631 said:

Thanks!

Thanks!!! I picked up a different style of USB hub, but it still functioned the same. Now the girlfriend has the set-up she's looking for. Much appreciated.
  • dialguiba
    dialguiba Member Posts: 1 New User
    Robert631 said:
    DDub said:
    Robert631 said:

Thanks!

I boughtan adaptor like that. But it doesnt work for me with 2 external monitors. I can only have 1 (with the laptop screen). When i connect the other the image of the monitor connected to the adaptar freezes
  • Robert631

Tinkerer

dialguiba said:
    Robert631 said:
    DDub said:
    Robert631 said:

Thanks!

I boughtan adaptor like that. But it doesnt work for me with 2 external monitors. I can only have 1 (with the laptop screen). When i connect the other the image of the monitor connected to the adaptar freezes
    Which ports are you using right now to connect the 1 external monitor? I'm using 1 external monitor by HDMI and the 2nd external monitor by USB 3.0 port via the adapter. Maybe the adapter you bought does not support USB 3.0, if the adapter's head is BLUE then it should be 3.0, if it is BLACK then it's USB 2.0 which doesn't work for external monitors. 
  • xaliblu
    xaliblu Member Posts: 1 New User
    KINDA ***** UP OF YOU TO LIE ABOUT ***** LIKE THIS, MADE ME SPEND ***** 500 BUCKS ON USELESS ***** THAT DIDNT WORK.
  • robobronco
    robobronco Member Posts: 1 New User
    Robert631 said:

I got the one you linked, but it only works if I turn it down to 1680x1050. On my 27" gaming monitor that doesn't look all that good. I have it in my USB 3.0 port but it just won't work if I turn it to full res. Does yours run at full?
  • Robert631

Tinkerer

Robert631 said:

I got the one you linked, but it only works if I turn it down to 1680x1050. On my 27" gaming monitor that doesn't look all that good. I have it in my USB 3.0 port but it just won't work if I turn it to full res. Does yours run at full?

Both of my external monitors are Acer R240HY 23.8 inches and they both are set to 1920 x 1080 which was the recommended setting and yeah it is at full resolution. 
  • MP227
    MP227 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Robert631 said:

I am looking to purchase this device, however, Robert631 can you tell me whether or not the onboard video or the Geforce will be connected to the monitor?
  • Robert631

Tinkerer

MP227 said:
    Robert631 said:

I am looking to purchase this device, however, Robert631 can you tell me whether or not the onboard video or the Geforce will be connected to the monitor?
    I am not sure about that. All I can say is that the monitors are all extending. If you can tell me how to find out on my computer, I'd be happy to try. 
  • MP227

Tinkerer

Robert631 said:
    MP227 said:
    Robert631 said:

I am not sure about that. All I can say is that the monitors are all extending. If you can tell me how to find out on my computer, I'd be happy to try. 
    If you go to Display Settings > Advanced display settings > then select your display from the dropdown it will tell you what graphics you are connected to in the Display information. For me it says my monitor(connected via HDMI port) is connected to GTX 1650 and laptop monitor is AMD Radeon Graphics.
  • Robert631

Tinkerer

It's connected to the adapter. 
  • MP227

Tinkerer

Robert631 said:

It's connected to the adapter. 
    Thank you.
  • 2000sasank
    2000sasank Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2020
    Robert631 said:

Hi Robert, Do you think this will work with all displays? Also what graphics drivers did you have to install? Is it one that keeps running in the background?

Edit: I was also wondering if portrait mode would work with this because I want to extend a portrait monitor.
  • Robert631

Tinkerer

Robert631 said:

Hi Robert, Do you think this will work with all displays? Also what graphics drivers did you have to install? Is it one that keeps running in the background?

Edit: I was also wondering if portrait mode would work with this because I want to extend a portrait monitor.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work with all monitors. As long as it is an external monitor, it should work. I didn't have to install any graphic drivers but I did update it after connecting the 3rd external monitor. 

Not sure about portrait mode bc I've never used it before but I'd assume you just select Portrait in the display settings page and turn ur monitor vertically.