How do I actually disable the keyboard backlight timeout? Acer Nitro 5

thewolfmoonmoon
thewolfmoonmoon Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey guys!

I have this annoying issue with my keyboard backlight timeout, which is driving me crazy..
So I installed the latest BIOS update through Acers software page. After the installation I could pick either to enable or to disable the keyboard backlight timeout in the BIOS settings. 
I disabled the timeout, but it still turns out the backlight after 30 seconds of inactivity. I have double checked my settings and it is disabled.

Am I doing anything wrong? Missing a step or something?

I hope you guys can help, thank you!

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓

Hi all,

Thank you for all the feedback provided on this matter, please keep in mind that the backlight automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke, is a power saving feature (mostly found in our newer models) as part of our effort to meet Energy Star7.0, Acer is unable to offer a support path to override or modify this feature if your model is not eligible for the following BIOS update:

A "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" function has been implemented for the following models only: 

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Aspire T7000

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A715-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH315-51

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A717-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-52

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-53

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH317-52

2019/03/20

Download

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Nitro AN515-42

2019/03/08

Download

Note: Please keep in mind that this implementation (Main tab) will allow users to Disable the "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" option to have the Keyboard Backlight on at all times when on AC power only if the unit is on battery power, it will work as intended (automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke). You can check periodically for any drivers, manuals and BIOS updates here: Drivers&Manual official page

Please follow the "Disable keyboard backlight timeout" instructions (FAQ):

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61998#_ga=2.159783933.1374864991.1552488642-1045363774.1531752932

BIOS changes example:

Note: This thread will be now closed and this reply will be marked as the solution.

Best Regards,

Acer-Manny

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    It's a power saving feature and can not be disabled, could you please tell us how did you manage to disable it in BIOS.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button' . Click 'change what the power buttons do' . Click 'change settings that currently are unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Shut down. Turn machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• thewolfmoonmoon
    Hi,
    It's a power saving feature and can not be disabled, could you please tell us how did you manage to disable it in BIOS.

In the latest BIOS this option appears under 'main' in BIOS.
    I followed this guide, but it didn't work:
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61998/~/disable-keyboard-backlight-timeout
  • thewolfmoonmoon
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button' . Click 'change what the power buttons do' . Click 'change settings that currently are unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Shut down. Turn machine back on. Jack E/NJ
    I will try to do this, thank you!
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Hi,

In the latest BIOS this option appears under 'main' in BIOS.
    I followed this guide, but it didn't work:
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61998/~/disable-keyboard-backlight-timeout
    Thank you :)
  • AlienHand
    AlienHand Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Dear ACER.
    Please make your laptops more user friendly by adding back-light timeout enable/disable for AC and for Battery separately in the BIOS!
    When buying a +$1000 laptop, you want to have back-light timeout at DISABLE at all times no matter if using AC or Battery!
    How hard can it be?!
  • Grond_Strong
    Grond_Strong Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2019
    AlienHand said:
    Dear ACER.
    Please make your laptops more user friendly by adding back-light timeout enable/disable for AC and for Battery separately in the BIOS!
    When buying a +$1000 laptop, you want to have back-light timeout at DISABLE at all times no matter if using AC or Battery!
    How hard can it be?!
    I second this!
    This is yet another frustrating thing that is left to the "wisdom" of the manufacturer instead of the preference of the customer. There are simply some people who want their keys to be backlit ALL THE TIME regardless of the battery usage. Because it doesn't matter how much battery it takes if we can't use our machines properly in the dark which is when we use our computers 90% of the time.

My wife is a legal drafter and gamer. She draft documents on battery power and games on AC, she does both of these things at night. It's MORE important that the keys are constantly backlit on battery power for her than it is on AC because of how she works. She will scroll with the mouse, then type again, then scroll, then type. She is constantly missing keys due to the nature of her work and for some reason, the option to just do away with the timeout altogether is missing.

Ironically, her old Macbook which I finally got her away from had a physical button on the keyboard to turn off and on the backlight at her leisure. Don't be the reason a person goes back to buying Macs, Acer. 
  • JackE
    These changes are in the works and have been already implemented for some models. Keep checking this link and your specific model for BIOS updates that specifically address this issue. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Juz10
    Juz10 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have a Nitro 5, have been searching for a solution to the 30-second timeout on the keyboard, and the bios update 1.25 (found here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7571?b=1) worked for me.

Downloaded the Bios update

Restarted and entered the BIOS manager

Found the keyboartd backlight timeout setting (which defaults to "enabled")

Disabled it

Used F10 to save and restart

Backlight stays on now

So, it looks like the BIOS 1.25 update from March 2019 works on this particular model (Nitro AN515-53)

Better and writing a macro that presses the CTRL key every 28 seconds...which is what I was doing when I followed this thread to the Driver Update Page over on ACER - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

....and I just saw this, it's directions to do what I did, but better explained than I did.
  • AlienHand
    AlienHand Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Juz10 said:
    I have a Nitro 5, have been searching for a solution to the 30-second timeout on the keyboard, and the bios update 1.25 (found here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7571?b=1) worked for me.

Downloaded the Bios update

Restarted and entered the BIOS manager

Found the keyboartd backlight timeout setting (which defaults to "enabled")

Disabled it

Used F10 to save and restart

Backlight stays on now

So, it looks like the BIOS 1.25 update from March 2019 works on this particular model (Nitro AN515-53)

Better and writing a macro that presses the CTRL key every 28 seconds...which is what I was doing when I followed this thread to the Driver Update Page over on ACER - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

....and I just saw this, it's directions to do what I did, but better explained than I did.
    Yes is works if using AC but NOT when using battery (which is a huge and annoying problem!).

I'm on a Nitro AN515-52 with RAM (32 GB) + HD expansion.

I need backlight 24/7 regardless of using AC or battery.
  • JackE

I suggest re-posting your Sept idea/request  in the new AcerIdeas section. https://community.acer.com/en/post/idea/en  Seems to have a new format. Maybe it'll get better attention.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Harsh3338
    Harsh3338 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Not sure if this is a late post, but let me put it out there.
    I am using Nitro 5 AN515-43, and found a solution for the Keyboard back light.

-> Open NitroSense application (default app for Fan control), if you don't have it please download from the Acer website & install the latest version, if it is supported for your machine.
    -> Go to Settings (Click on the gear icon you find on top right corner).
    -> You will find Keyboard Setting there, just below that "Backlight off after 30 Seconds" -> just Disable this option and you are good to go.
    -> To increase the backlight brightness press Fn + F10
    -> To decrease the backlight brightness press Fn + F9
    -> You're Welcome :-)

• JackE
    Thanks. Hopefully it'll work for the others. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jimfitter
    jimfitter Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

A BIOS update came and went, without a keyboard update. I keep giving bad reviews where I can, on this model, in various forums. Hopefully, the bad press gives someone the incentive to fix this. It really is frustrating to have to deal with this. Aspire A515-54
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓

Hi all,

Thank you for all the feedback provided on this matter, please keep in mind that the backlight automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke, is a power saving feature (mostly found in our newer models) as part of our effort to meet Energy Star7.0, Acer is unable to offer a support path to override or modify this feature if your model is not eligible for the following BIOS update:

A "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" function has been implemented for the following models only: 

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Aspire T7000

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A715-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH315-51

2019/03/20

Download

Aspire A717-72G

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-52

2019/03/20

Download

Nitro AN515-53

2019/03/20

Download

Predator PH317-52

2019/03/20

Download

Model

BIOS v.

Date

Download Link

Nitro AN515-42

2019/03/08

Download

Note: Please keep in mind that this implementation (Main tab) will allow users to Disable the "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" option to have the Keyboard Backlight on at all times when on AC power only if the unit is on battery power, it will work as intended (automatically turning off 30 seconds after the last keystroke). You can check periodically for any drivers, manuals and BIOS updates here: Drivers&Manual official page

Please follow the "Disable keyboard backlight timeout" instructions (FAQ):

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61998#_ga=2.159783933.1374864991.1552488642-1045363774.1531752932

BIOS changes example:

Note: This thread will be now closed and this reply will be marked as the solution.

Best Regards,

Acer-Manny

This discussion has been closed.