Acer Swift 3 SF314-52G - Random shutsdown

WyattMcLaren
WyattMcLaren Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My laptop keeps shuttig down periodically every day after starting to use it on battery. It has only happed when on battery so far and after around 5-10 minutes of use. It shuts down without any presage. When i turn it on, it dies again and then it is allright for another day. No overheating - checked temperatures with speedfan. This happens during light use, battery saver usually turned on, fan spinning on lowest rate or not at all. Not to do with movement - tried to shake it, different positions - no issue. The laptop is in spotless condition without damage, never dropped it. Already tried resettig the battery according to the manual. I wonder if anyone has this problem. So far have only seen one post mentioning a faulty BIOS update 1.10, but i have 1.08 and the newest is 1.09 but its fixig Spectre vulnerability of the L1 terminal. I have no intentions of updating, just clearing this possibility.

Model Name: SF314-52G

Answers

• Hardo
    Hardo Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem! I did nothing to my laptop, i just usually spent the day doing graphic design with my swift 3. I think there must be a problem either on Windows or Battery
  • WyattMcLaren
    WyattMcLaren Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hardo said:
    I have the same problem! I did nothing to my laptop, i just usually spent the day doing graphic design with my swift 3. I think there must be a problem either on Windows or Battery
    It was the battery. Have it replaced. That solved the problem on my side.
  • Hardo
    Hardo Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2019
    Hardo said:
    Mine is kinda different i think. My laptop shutdown either while plugged-in or not. My hypothesis so far, theres therthing "loose" in the mainboard, since it'll only randomly shutdown while im im typing (lately i decide to use external keyboard and mouse, and put the laptop on a safe & plan surface, all went good, no prob at all)

Unfortunately, acer service in my area takes long time to get done, 2-3 weeks! What laptop will i use when my laptop is being fixed for that long? Hahaha
  • CharlesAllen
    CharlesAllen Member Posts: 3 New User
    One of 3 problems. 1)system board is bad. 2) plug in for power is bad.  3) Batrery is bad.  
    Does the battery start with a full charge?  Do you leave the battery plugged in, even when at 100%?  Can you remove the battery and just run on power cord? 
    Can you giggle the power cord at the computer and does that affect the computer and power?
  • Luci_Lazza
    Luci_Lazza Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hardo said:
    Hardo said:
    Mine is kinda different i think. My laptop shutdown either while plugged-in or not. My hypothesis so far, theres therthing "loose" in the mainboard, since it'll only randomly shutdown while im im typing (lately i decide to use external keyboard and mouse, and put the laptop on a safe & plan surface, all went good, no prob at all)

Unfortunately, acer service in my area takes long time to get done, 2-3 weeks! What laptop will i use when my laptop is being fixed for that long? Hahaha
    Same here. Mine is plugged in and I've had the computer for literally 3 days, never even used the battery. Brand new, and it keeps shutting down at different intervals, no warning, no nothing. I'm not sure what to do.... I have timed / proctored exams I plan on using the computer for, and I can't really afford to have it shutting down during these. Not really sure what to do.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @AlisonT and @Nazia, start new threads and describe your problem in more detail. Include your full model number (example, SF314-52G-5257) adn list what you have tried so far.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hello to all,

The topic is closed because of its age, if you still have problems with your computer, I invite you to open a new question or post so that the users of the Acer community can guide you.

Thank you,
    Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.