X35 flickering(Acer X35 monitor)

Answers

• hendrix69
    hendrix69 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Just received my 3rd PG35VQ today after another two week wait for the RMA and guess what.......this one is exactly the same. Fired up PUBG as that is the game i play most, went straight to the practice range, stood amongst the trees and grass and free looked about, flickering like mad again. 
    When i opened the box and took the stand off to mount it on the wall i noticed the little rubber plug that covers service port was hanging out. I thought maybe the screen had been flashed with new firmware and the rubber plug not re-fitted properly. If it has been re-flashed it hasn’t made a difference to the flickering.
    i didn’t notice the build date of the first monitor i sent back but the second and third monitors both had a build date of June.  
  • Kaiserlol
    Kaiserlol Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Where can you check when its made? I want to check mine
  • Kaiserlol
    I recieved my display today. The asus variant though. Mine has way less flickering than the videos Ive seen so far. It is there and I can reproduce it with all the games and methods mentioned here. But as I said most of the time it is barely noticable at all and I would consider myself as sensitive to all kind of flickers, stutters, low hz etc. 
    In general I can say that this panel is a little slower than my former pg27q9 in terms of ghosting even though that IPS has only max 165hz.

I think I have found a good interim solution for that flickering and weird lines in games: You guys have mentioned that turning on chromatic aberration in BFV for example make the stutter disappear. I can confirm that.
    The program reshade lets you manually turn on chromatic aberration in its settings. You can have reshade turn chromatic aberration on and edit how strong or visible you want the effect to be. In that way you can turn the effect on but only on a very very minimal setting; you have chromatic aberration turned on -> no ugly chromatic aberration effect -> no flickering.

Can somebody try that in other games too? Im about to test it in PUBG.

greetings
  • Kaiserlol
    In PUBG I dont have flickering at all. At least after my little 15 min play test and in those areas where people reported flickering.
  • hendrix69
    hendrix69 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Kaiserlol said:
    If you look at the sticker on the back of the monitor it has a production month on it. Sticker is next to the input ports. 
  • Kaiserlol
    hendrix69 said:
    Kaiserlol said:
    If you look at the sticker on the back of the monitor it has a production month on it. Sticker is next to the input ports. 
    Mine is an august batch.
  • riffles21
    riffles21 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Kaiserlol said:
    hendrix69 said:
    Kaiserlol said:
    Mine is an august batch.
    My Pg35vq was from June and had crazy flickering in PUBG and in some of the other mentioned Games. You say you have less or no flickering at all? 

Maybe the problem is also batch related? 
  • HAL_9000
    HAL_9000 Member Posts: 39 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    @riffles21
    maybe Kaiserlol did not set up the monitor to reproduce the issue... overdrive set to normal, 144Hz, 10bit. i wont believe it since @TweetiePie also fails to prove his monitor is not flickering.
    @Kaiserlol can you show a non flickering PG35 ? you have here in this thread the crosstalk test and the snowy village photo. Nothing outside the browser window should be affected. a youtube video showing the OSD settings and moving the window around should conclude the flickering / inversion behavior.
  • Kaiserlol
    As I said my monitor does flicker. But it is really really hard to notice at all. No comparison to the videos I have seen here. You barely notice it at all. I have my monitor on 200hz,8 bit color, overdrive normal. 

I have done all crosstalk tests, snowy village photo, as well as BFV, Destiny 2, PUBG, Squad, PES20, AC Odyssey ... I can only see a little bit of flickering in BFV when I go to the exact same spot you can see here: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxGqx4YeNss&lc=z22qgh15iwb2gzsq304t1aokges4ttdxvsmysuqkdphcrk0h00410.1571392933102895

But as mentioned before it is WAY less flickering than in the video. And my trick to implement chromatic abberation through reshade eliminates the flickering completley.

When I look at the cross talk tests it flickers just a little bit outside the window itself but it is not noticeable at all. I have to put my eyes like 10 cm away from the screen to see it.

TLDR:  I have the flickering and I can reproduce it but it is very very little compared to what Ive seen. For those rare case I can see the flickering enabling chromatic abberation using a low value with the program reshade eliminates the flickering in games withouth having the ugly chromatic abberation effect.

For me it is no problem at all.
  • kot0005
    kot0005 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Apparently PG35VQ Issue has been fixed and Firmware update is coming. I wasnt told if new units from november will have this firmware or which serial numbers will be affected.
  • SonicB0000M
    SonicB0000M Member Posts: 24 Networker
    kot0005 said:
    Apparently PG35VQ Issue has been fixed and Firmware update is coming. I wasnt told if new units from november will have this firmware or which serial numbers will be affected.
    Source? 
  • Iwantedto
    Iwantedto Member Posts: 4 New User
    kot0005 said:
    As source would be appreciated on this. Also, what would people do that have models without the "patch". As far as I know the users cannot do the firmware update by themselves?
  • Ilcose
    Ilcose Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hi there,
     received mine in Italy a week ago. Bought in Germany, it has the production date of Jul2019.
    No flickering at all so far. I can clearly see scanlines with the mountain picture and with the xtalk test.  But no flickering triggered moving the picture around the screen, the only thing more similar to flickering i can see is when the picture was moved near the edge of the screen and the scanline disappear and reappers moving the window back. 

No HDR games tested so far, only video and movies for HDR testing. Tried 4/5 different SDR games with no issue at all. 

100% of the time with FALD on, RGB 444 10bit @144hz OV Extreme

The screen is not fast, the ghosting is there, overshoot is there aswell. But i’m used to VA and this is acceptable, amazing looking contrast and halo barely visible only on High Contrast situation (HUD or mouse pointer over deep black backround). 

The fan is bearable when it start to make a low hum and more annoyng when it start to ramp up and down with no sense after hours of usage or in HDR. So not silent for me but bearable. In game is absolutely impossible to hear.

The most annoyng thing is the Blue Light bug. 50% of the times that the monitor goes to stand by the preset goes to Blue Light with all color to 0,0,0. It’s unbeliavable that such a bug is present in an official release....
    It also happened that when the monitor goes in deep sleep and i wake it up the nvidia driver no longer recognizes it as RGB 444 10bit but only YCbCr422 8bit limited, when this happens there is nothing i can do but unplug/repluc the DP or reboot the PC. But i think the latter is a nvidia bug. Do you experience some of the bug i encountered? 
  • Blejd
    Blejd Member Posts: 4 New User
    kot0005 said:
    Dude.
    It is Asus PG27UQ that got the firmware upgrade but people need to send the monitor back to the RMA service because only an authorized service can do it and has the right equipment for it, I hope it will be similar with PG35VQ and x35.

• Lyker
    Lyker Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hey guys, anyone know what this issue is that I am having? The blacks change as I move.

• Ilcose
    Ilcose Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Lyker said:
    Hey guys, anyone know what this issue is that I am having? The blacks change as I move.

It's ghosting and smearing. You see the black trails because the VA panel has slow transition expecially out of black.
    Your monitor it's not faulty. Try overdrive to Extreme to see if you like It most. Beware: in Extreme It Also introduces overshoot.
  • HAL_9000
    HAL_9000 Member Posts: 39 Devotee WiFi Icon
    @Lyker
    it seems to be the same behavior many people are complaining about.
    you can check out this response time measurements (entire review, here):

The deep blacks are many frames behind in a moving image. Unfortunately with extreme overdrive you will have significant overshoot. This issue cannot be fixed since it is an inherent characteristic of the VA panel itself.
    That must be the reason Apple picked a IPS panel to pair with FALD.
  • Lyker
    Lyker Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Thanks guys. Wish I had checked up on this before. IPS seem to be the way to go. VA is suppose to have better blacks no? But what is the point of having a little bit deeper black if it was yesterdays blacks ;)
  • Iwantedto
    Iwantedto Member Posts: 4 New User
    Blejd said:
    kot0005 said:
    Dude.
    It is Asus PG27UQ that got the firmware upgrade but people need to send the monitor back to the RMA service because only an authorized service can do it and has the right equipment for it, I hope it will be similar with PG35VQ and x35.

Didn't Asus claim they release a tool that allows users to do a firmware upgrade by themselfes? Also that thing is out for over a year now, does it take them that long for releasing an update? That would be bad news for the x35/pg35vq as they are inherently different from the PG27UQ as far as I know.
This discussion has been closed.