Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53-52 - Is Having Some Image Retention Issues, Is This Normal?

DriplessAtoms
DriplessAtoms Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
I bought an acer nitro 5 laptop a few months ago and when I got it everything seemed normal but after about a month my laptop started to burn in it's screen. It would only burn in if I leave the laptop at one screen for about 5 minutes and if left longer it would create a deeper burn, but after a while it will eventually go away. I later researched this issue and found out that this was called "image retention". Image retention is like a screen burn but it's only temporary and doesn't cause any permanent damage. Anyways I returned that laptop and got a new one and as I said before it seemed normal but eventually it started to have the same issue with image retention. I assumed now that this was normal because both the laptops had the same problem. I want to know if this is normal, if this is not please tell me. I want to make sure that I get a computer that will last me awhile especially for gaming.

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    I bought an acer nitro 5 laptop a few months ago and when I got it everything seemed normal but after about a month my laptop started to burn in it's screen. It would only burn in if I leave the laptop at one screen for about 5 minutes and if left longer it would create a deeper burn, but after a while it will eventually go away. I later researched this issue and found out that this was called "image retention". Image retention is like a screen burn but it's only temporary and doesn't cause any permanent damage. Anyways I returned that laptop and got a new one and as I said before it seemed normal but eventually it started to have the same issue with image retention. I assumed now that this was normal because both the laptops had the same problem. I want to know if this is normal, if this is not please tell me. I want to make sure that I get a computer that will last me awhile especially for gaming.

This is entirely normal. The image in an LCD screen is made up of tiny liquid crystals and they set in a certain shape to make the image. The longer thay are left in this shape the longer it takes for them to return to a fluid state which is Image Retention. If they are left for too long they can become stuck and this is Image Burning. This is why the moving Screen Saver was invented so that the Crystals never sat for too long. If you want to avoid potential image burn download and use a moving or slide show screen saver which is set to be enabled after 2 minutes of inactivity, the moment you move your mouse or touch the touchpad the saver disappears and the original image is displayed again. This is nothing to do with Acer or any other Laptop manufacturer, it is simply how LCD technology works and may be more evident on budget displays but a Screensaver will solve the problem.

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• DriplessAtoms
    DriplessAtoms Member Posts: 2 New User
    Oh I almost forgot my laptop is AN515-53-52 and I bought this brand new so this wasn't just a renewed or used product.
  • RavenBlut
    RavenBlut Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

the same ***** that happen to my nitro 5
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓

This is entirely normal. The image in an LCD screen is made up of tiny liquid crystals and they set in a certain shape to make the image. The longer thay are left in this shape the longer it takes for them to return to a fluid state which is Image Retention. If they are left for too long they can become stuck and this is Image Burning. This is why the moving Screen Saver was invented so that the Crystals never sat for too long. If you want to avoid potential image burn download and use a moving or slide show screen saver which is set to be enabled after 2 minutes of inactivity, the moment you move your mouse or touch the touchpad the saver disappears and the original image is displayed again. This is nothing to do with Acer or any other Laptop manufacturer, it is simply how LCD technology works and may be more evident on budget displays but a Screensaver will solve the problem.

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Advait_Shrivastava
    Advait_Shrivastava Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same problem with my AN515-52-54, some blocks of the previous screen still show in the current screen for some time.
    It does not happen always. If you found any solution to that then please help me.I'm worried about the display of my laptop.
  • Nazif
    Nazif Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same problem with my AN515-52-54, some blocks of the previous screen still show in the current screen for some time.
    It does not happen always. If you found any solution to that then please help me.I'm worried about the display of my laptop.
    Hi. Yup it is very common for LCD screen to have this "temporary" burn. When I open black/dark background app, the previous image is can be seen through my current app background. This is called retention if I am not mistaken. If you do not want your screen to be replaced, what you can do is very simple. You just need to "relax" the LCD. My method is to open a clear white image and set it to fullscreen, then let it display the image for several time.

Sometimes when I open Discord (app with dark background), a website structure from Chrome still can be seen through. I put the white display for about 2 hours and the "ghosting" and "overlay" of previous image is gone. Just a tip for not getting a new panel hahaha