X35 flickering(Acer X35 monitor)

Answers

• kot0005
    kot0005 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Yeah i only notice a strange shadow adjustment in the 2 older games, this seems like a driver issue or an issue with the HDR implementation on these specific games. in far cry i can make it go away by switching off of the HDR10 mode to the other HDR mode offered in this game. Have not played Witcher enough to be bothered by it. All the new games perform excellent and i do not experience any "flicker". I played Destiny 2 yesterday for the entire day and had 0 issue. 

Hanging onto my monitor for sure!
    Not a Driver issue, happens without any connection to the PC on the OSD. Multiple People confirmed it. You prolly just cant tell the difference..
  • TweetiePie
    TweetiePie Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    kot0005 said:
    Yeah i only notice a strange shadow adjustment in the 2 older games, this seems like a driver issue or an issue with the HDR implementation on these specific games. in far cry i can make it go away by switching off of the HDR10 mode to the other HDR mode offered in this game. Have not played Witcher enough to be bothered by it. All the new games perform excellent and i do not experience any "flicker". I played Destiny 2 yesterday for the entire day and had 0 issue. 

Not a Driver issue, happens without any connection to the PC on the OSD. Multiple People confirmed it. You prolly just cant tell the difference..

kot0005 said:

Oh I see it ok, when switching to say HDMI which I only use DP for the purposes of this test I then switch to HDMI a small box will come up with the following to me I describe it as a fast pulse of light every second very fast it just pulses or flashes but one I switch back to DP it goes away. Here is the thing I don’t think for a minute that my monitor is faulty so I will be keeping my monitor also but if I play that new Modern warfare game with full HDR support and if it throws up any flickering then I would want to return it for a refund.  Anyhow I’ll report back on my findings but so far so good and I doubt really, I will see any flickering much like the dreaded fan noise I have not heard any fan noise on my monitor either all is quite on the western front. Can anyone throw me a picture to check for scan lines.

• HAL_9000
    HAL_9000 Member Posts: 39 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    is it possible that the issue is caused by the slow out-of-black pixel response time? 
    you can see in the review made by tftcentral that the out-of-black transisions are exceptionally slow even for 60Hz refresh rate:

@144 Hz, any transition > 7ms will not keep up with the refresh rate and will result in smearing... but can it cause flickering for larger response times ?
  • SonicB0000M
    SonicB0000M Member Posts: 24 Networker
    I just got the PG35VQ today, tried all games where people have issues and I've had none. Running at 144hz 10 bit RGB full. OD set to normal and FALD on fast.
  • kot0005
    edited October 2019
    I just got the PG35VQ today, tried all games where people have issues and I've had none. Running at 144hz 10 bit RGB full. OD set to normal and FALD on fast.
    you most likely have it but havent noticed it. Scanlines can be seen on the OSD menus without a cable going to the PC. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvTXhnakPZo

Ihave seen multiple people comment that they dont see anything wrong or flickering in my videos when there is clear flickering.
  • SonicB0000M
    SonicB0000M Member Posts: 24 Networker
    edited October 2019

kot0005 said: SonicB0000M said: I just got the PG35VQ today, tried all games where people have issues and I've had none. Running at 144hz 10 bit RGB full. OD set to normal and FALD on fast.

you most likely have it but havent noticed it. Scanlines can be seen on the OSD menus without a cable going to the PC. 

wow, mine doesn't have that at all. You really need to get yours changed. The only issue i have with mine is the very slight black smear on some games when you move the camera and that is it. But that is a VA problem
  • TweetiePie

kot0005 said:

wow, mine doesn't have that at all. You really need to get yours changed. The only issue i have with mine is the very slight black smear on some games when you move the camera and that is it. But that is a VA problem
    kot0005 should have his monitor replaced A.S.A.P I have already stated that fact in earlier posts I would nto be on thsi formum talking about it I would have the monitor replaced and I am sure Acer would replace it for him or here without much trouble. @kot0005 can you arrange a return of yoru monitor and let us all know how you get on with yoru replacement once it would arrive a pain ihn the butt I know but it is the only to make positively sure you receiev a screen with no issues. I ahve no issues with my screen and neither does @SonicB0000M
  • TweetiePie

Anyone from the UK you can buy here 4 in stock although price has jumped up £103 to £2309 https://www.kikatek.com/Product/1256260-UMCX0EE005-Acer-Predator-X35-35-INCH-WQHD-Curve-200Hz-Gsync-HA-HDMI-DP-MM-US

Price here is £2263 that is a £63 increase https://www.lambda-tek.com/Acer-UM-CX0EE-005~sh/B43578284&origin=gbaseGB8.18?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMPf7tmN5QIVyLHtCh1nwwShEAYYAiABEgJZaPD_BwE

Each store has 4 in stock as of today Tuesday 8th October 2019

• ObiWonton
    ObiWonton Member Posts: 4 New User
    Welp, after I returned my X35 and tasted the excellent HDR 1000 exp... I gave the PG35VQ a whirl. Two units later.... all three (+X35) demonstrated the same issue. 

Here is a quick test that allowed me to replicate the issue on my pg35vq consistently. 

…….

I've spent way too much time troubleshooting this issue. I started my journey with an Acer X35 (returned) and now two PG35VQ. Over my testing I did come across a YT video that caused my screen to flicker/burst scanlines consistently.

Couple things....

1. The flicker will only happen when the image fills up majority of the screen. When viewing this YT vid in non theater mode no scanline/flickering bursts occur.

2. The scanline/flicker burst will only happen with OD settings are on Normal/Extreme. Disabling OD will remove the issue. However, the monitor becomes a smeary mess.

3. Variable Backlight on/toggling speeds doesn't have an impact.

This YT video, viewed in theater mode, paused at 0:04. Once done, drag the window left and right... On my two pg35vq units I've tested both treated me with flickering w/ quick bursts of scanlines. If you drag left and right really tight the scanline burst is more visable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxUgJ-2B7zo

This flicker/scanline deal is what I'm exp in games like Squad, DOS2, SWBF2, and occasionally CS:GO. I've been able to tweak settings in Squad and DOS2 to minimize the effect. However, all issues around flickering/scanlines are remedied by simply turning off your OD setting. (Which makes this monitor useless)

I've been able to test all of this on my older IPS monitor and can't reproduce any of the issues I'm exp with the pg35vq/X35.

I've done the cable swap, and messed around with dif port inputs on my gpu (EVGA XC 2080ti). I've tested with dif degrees of overclocks on my GPU and of course stock clocks. Never made a difference.

Some games run great with ZERO issues. I think that's why you're getting some users saying they have zero problems. However, after going through a X35, and two PG35's all demonstrating the same issue... personally I'm a little suspect of those claims. (I mean if I bought this and only played Destiny 2 it would be "perfect"......)

At the moment this seems to be an issue with the OD setting... I'm not even sure if that's something that can be patched. 

…….

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/dfm0pl/pg35vq_consistent_flicker_test/
  • kot0005
    edited October 2019

I wont believe you unless you can make a video showing proof. You are prolly not able to notice it.
  • HAL_9000
    there is no proof of a single PG35VQ or X35 that works without flickering.
    @TweetiePie & @sonicboooom can you please provide the first ever proof that at least one PG35 or X35 works without flickering and scan lines ?
    If it is a design flaw (so far so it seems), it should be impossible that there is even a single working unit.
  • kot0005
    I was at PAX AU and visited the ROG booth which had Three Pg35VQ's . Opened this image :https://pcmonitors.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/snowy-village.jpg 
    and behold scanlines on all three and all of them flickered like mine when I moved the window arround. So anyone saying this doesnt happen on theirs is 10000% Lying. The chances of 3 monitors doing it at an ROG booth is very minimal if it was only some units.
  • Uzap
    Uzap Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    kot0005 said:
    I was at PAX AU and visited the ROG booth which had Three Pg35VQ's . Opened this image :https://pcmonitors.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/snowy-village.jpg 
    and behold scanlines on all three and all of them flickered like mine when I moved the window arround. So anyone saying this doesnt happen on theirs is 10000% Lying. The chances of 3 monitors doing it at an ROG booth is very minimal if it was only some units.
    Do you mean opening this link on a X35?
    I tried and on full screen i do not see any flickering on mine.
    I do see flickering on games as i had explained in the earlier threads of this post.
  • spoonermcgee
    spoonermcgee Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    Hey guys,

I had been looking into the x35 for awhile and noticed the cheap price at my local Micro Center where they were currently sold out. I reached out to them asking when the x35 would be back in stock last week and I got an explanation that "that monitor has been discontinued, sorry". Ok fine, I knew there were issues. Fast forward to earlier today I go to the micro center website just to see once more and there are 2 in stock! I reserved it and picked it up and noted on the serial number sticker this unit is marked june 2019. So if it was "discontinued" and stock ran out...where did this monitor come from? I was hoping it was going to be a new batch, but it is not. I have confirmed scan lines using both the Tree Photo and the hdmi mode trick. Very sad to see it, because I would love to keep this monitor if it only worked as expected :( I'm going to keep using it for a bit longer in hopes that magically Acer or Nvidia find a way to fix it, but I am grateful I bought this locally through Micro Center for an easy refund :/..
  • Feklar
    Feklar Member Posts: 20 Networker
    It has not been discontinued. In fact Newegg got a shipment and they are in stock there right now.
  • spoonermcgee
    spoonermcgee Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Feklar said:
    It has not been discontinued. In fact Newegg got a shipment and they are in stock there right now.
    It's quite odd what is happening here. There's clearly an issue with every panel, or at least close to every panel. Third party sellers have informed customers multiple times now that the item has been discontinued/recalled, but then the next batch re-stocks and the bad panels continue to make it out to the public. I wonder where the miscommunication from Acer to the third parties is happening. This all just looks worse and worse :/.
  • kot0005
    Uzap said:
    kot0005 said:
    Do you mean opening this link on a X35?
    I tried and on full screen i do not see any flickering on mine.
    I do see flickering on games as i had explained in the earlier threads of this post.
    yo wont see flickering if you arent moving the image. there will be scanlines though.
  • HAL_9000
    kot0005 said:
    and what was their conclusion ? will they keep ignoring the issue ?
  • kot0005
    HAL_9000 said:
    kot0005 said:
    and what was their conclusion ? will they keep ignoring the issue ?
    They are just regular staff, they prolly dont even know about this whole situation. They looked shocked though.
  • HAL_9000
    edited October 2019
    so now they know there is no properly working monitor and they are knowingly selling defective monitors with 2500$.
    If i will decide to purchase a X35 or PG35, and it is defective with this well known issue, i wont return it, i will sue Acer or Asus for knowingly trying to trick customers by selling defective products, hoping they will not notice. Its like selling out-of-date food hoping we wont notice the maggots.

This is unacceptable even for a half priced monitor !
This discussion has been closed.