Weak HiFi signal - Acer F5 571

Kev55
Kev55 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Since downloading Win 10 I cannot get a decent signal other than about 1M from the Hub. Tried most things suggested on help forums etc. No success. What info would you need to advise me?
Thanks
Kevan

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    It would help to know what kind of ACER model you have and what was the operating system  on it before installing Win10. You probably just have to change the wifi bands in Device Manager from 2.4GHz or 5GHz or viceversa. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kev55

Tinkerer

Is it safe to post my system details copied from Settings? Acer F5 571 model N15Q1
  • Kev55

Tinkerer

Windows 8 I believe. Model above. Have two channels at mo one on each 2.4 - 5GHz. Just swapped the black and white aerial cables over. No change I'm afraid. I get full 48 Meg about a metre away but lose all signal in the next room which is about 8-10m away.
  • JackE
    This is normal. Nothing wrong with your wifi adapter or antenna. Put cables back the way they were. The lid orientation, wall construction materials, and any wires or metal columns inside wall, can make a big difference relative to the router antennae. You might get slightly better reception by setting only 2.4GHz or only 5GHz not automatic.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kev55

Tinkerer

Sorry t's no where near normal. I had good signals all through the house before. Are you joking?
  • Kev55

Tinkerer

Can somebody with more knowledge please assist me?
  • JackE
    >>>I had good signals all through the house before. Are you joking?>>>

Sorry. You didn't mention this fact before. Was it with this machine? Or some other machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kev55

Tinkerer

It was with this machine. My iphone and (old) ipad are fine and record between 30-45M. My BT internet is infinity at 49M. I have a HomeHub plug at the other end of the house. Please ask if you need any info you need that I can copy from the machine.
  • JackE
    (1) Did you re-seat the wifi card a few times when you switched the antenna wires?
    (2) What wifi card model does DeviceManager reveal?
    (3) What ACER drivers have you tried in Win10 and Win10's Win8.x compatibility mode?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kev55

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    (1) Did you re-seat the wifi card a few times when you switched the antenna wires?
    (2) What wifi card model does DeviceManager reveal?
    (3) What ACER drivers have you tried in Win10 and Win10's Win8.x compatibility mode?

Jack E/NJ
    Hi
    1. Took wires offf while card was in. I presume you mean take out and put it back? Bit wary in case I damage something but if yo think it may be worth it I can.
    2. Pics attached.
    3. Just used Avast Driver update. Get message they are up to date now.

Thanks K

• Kev55

Tinkerer

WiFi Card Pic

• JackE
    >>>Since downloading Win 10 I cannot get a decent signal >>>

Looks like the generic Win10 version installed a newer generic atheros driver. See if you can install this older ACER-specific driver without uninstalling the newer generic driver. You might get an error message that you're installing an older version but we can try to deal with later. https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless LAN/Wireless LAN_Atheros_10.0.0.62_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=635735782478357178&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE F5-571&OS=10M1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kev55

Tinkerer

I uploaded the driver application OK  Ive attached the relevant screens. It hasnt made much a difference Im afraid.
    Cheers Kevan

• JackE
    If the ACER driver works the same, the most likely culprit is a broken coax center wire in the hinge areas from wear&tear of opening/closing the lid. While the coax (see below) or coax+circuit assembly ( 50.MVHN7.005) are relatively cheap and also fit many other ACER models,  the screen lid must be disassembled to replace the cable. If it was mine, I'd probably try to live with it rather than risk possibly worse collateral damage trying to replace it. Sorry. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Before I forget again, with the ACER driver installed, open DeviceManager and check the properties tabs under PowerMgt, Advanced etc for any power save or roaming options have been set to use too little transmit power and receive sensitivity . Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kev55

Tinkerer

Sorry could you explain steps I need to take to check re your advice above. Other than that Ill have a fiddle with the cables maybe and leave it at that. Thanks for your time.

Kevan
  • JackE
    edited October 2019
    Do you mean checking  DeviceManager ACER wifi driver property settings? Or checking the wifi card, coax and antenna hardware? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kev55

Tinkerer

Sorry checking device manager
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    Kev55 said:
    Since downloading Win 10 I cannot get a decent signal other than about 1M from the Hub. Tried most things suggested on help forums etc. No success. What info would you need to advise me?
    Thanks
    Kevan

First, uninstall the driver that you have, through 'Device Manager' then install the latest driver that I've given you below! Because and while looking at the drivers versions that you uploaded, they are all old drivers, the latest Win-10 Atheros QCA9377 driver is the 12.0.0.832 and the driver file is labelled 'win10-12.0.0.832-whql' you can download this file from this direct link here: https://www.ath-drivers.eu/download-driver-for-Atheros-chipset-with-id-104-and-Windows10-64bit.html then see if that works, if not, then it could be as 'JackE' said a 'broken coax center wire in the hinge areas' or you might have shorted the Atheros QCA9377 mini card, while you changed wires, with too much static. These WiFi/BT cards are very reliable and very rarely go wrong!
  • Kev55

Tinkerer

!. Should I delete all the 5 drivers in the list?
    2. Ive downloaded the file which is a whql file. I dont know how to update this??????