Swift 3 touchpad won't right click Swift SF314-51-57CP

Zap_Rowsdower
Zap_Rowsdower Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Swift SF314-51-57CP running Windows 10.  The right-click and click-drag to select (e.g. to highlight a section of text or to rearrange the tab order on a browser) stopped working on my touchpad.  These functions still work fine if I plug in a USB mouse.  Left click functionality seems to work fine, and I can do the two-finger tap to bring up the left click menu, but clicking the lower right corner doesn't work.  
I have tried these steps:
  • Toggled touchpad off/on
  • Toggled the "Press lower right corner of touchpad to right click" option in the touchpad settings
  • Uninstalled/reinstalled the ELANTECH drivers using the drivers on the Acer support site
  • Reinstalled the HID-compliant touchpad driver (using the "Browse my computer" option for locating drivers)
  • Toggled the BIOS touchpad settings from "Advanced" to "Basic" and back again
  • Disconnected/reconnected the ribbon cable from touchpad to the motherboard.
  •  Cleaned the touchpad with compressed air and contact cleaner
  • Installed new touchpad (It exhibited same behavior as the old touchpad, so I put the old touchpad back in).
The only thing I haven't tried that I've seen suggested is to update the BIOS, but at this point, I don't see how this could be a BIOS version issue.  I feel like this could be a calibration issue (when the problem started, the right-click spot had "drifted" to the bottom middle of the touchpad before it stopped working entirely a few minutes later), but there is no calibration tool like I've had on older laptops.  I'm out of ideas.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  The warranty period has long since expired.

Answers

• Have you tried resetting the battery?
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Zap_Rowsdower

Tinkerer

Tried it just now.  Didn't work. 
  • You can use a live linux distribution and check if the problem persists. That way you could identify if it's a problem with windows or hardware.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Zap_Rowsdower

Tinkerer

That is a great suggestion.  I never would have thought of that.

I tried booting to Linux, and it behaves the same as it did in Windows.  If this indicates a hardware problem (and keep in mind that I already tried a new touchpad and it didn't work either), does this sound like a motherboard issue to you?  I already tried re-seating the ribbon cable from the touchpad to the mobo.
  • Did you also change the touchpad cable?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zap_Rowsdower

Tinkerer

Nope, I didn't.  I ordered one a moment ago, so I'll report back when it arrives.
  • Ok! Post the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zap_Rowsdower

Tinkerer

I've replaced the cable from the touchpad to the mobo and cleaned the ZIF connectors with contact cleaner, but that didn't fix it either. 
  • Have you tried updating the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zap_Rowsdower

Tinkerer

Updated from ver 1.07 to ver 1.11, but (you guessed it), it didn't fix the touchpad issue.   
  • This is weird. Have you checked if the same issue remains in safe boot mode?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zap_Rowsdower

Tinkerer

Same issue in Safe mode too.  Does Acer have a calibration tool for touchpads?  Some of my older laptops had a way to calibrate the touchpad in the Settings section.  
  • After upgrading the bios, have you tried changing the touchpad option to basic again and also trying to reset the battery again?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zap_Rowsdower

Tinkerer

Tried changing from Advanced to Basic, rebooted.  Then changed from Basic back to Advanced, rebooted.  Tried resetting the battery via the pinhole.  I checked for right-click functionality after each step, but no luck.  I feel like this is some kind of hardware-related problem with the motherboard, since that's about all that remains at this point.  If you don't feel like messing with this anymore, I don't blame you!  
  • Are you sure the mouse manufacturer is elantech? Can you enter the touchpad idhardware?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zap_Rowsdower

Tinkerer

Under Device Manager >>>Human Interface Devices >>>HID-Compliant touch pad >>>Details>>>Property: Hardware IDs, the Values in the first three lines are "HID\VEN_ELAN..." and "HID\ELAN...".  Under "Mice and other pointing devices", I had "ELAN I2C Filter Driver" both before and after I updated the touchpad driver.  I don't see anything that looks like "Synaptics".  
  • I need you to submit the complete idhardware, see:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zap_Rowsdower

Tinkerer

Here...

• Have you checked if clicking right in the bottom right corner if the right button works?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Zap_Rowsdower

Tinkerer

I've tapped all over the touchpad, and nothing makes it right-click.