How to turn power on without power button? G1-710

samuelB
samuelB Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Hello 

My G1-710 is currently not turning on and I have no idea which pins of the front power button I am supposed to short to turn it on.
Can anyone identify which two go to the led and which to the button itself? 

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It might be possible. But unfortunately we on the user forums neither have access to board schematics nor firmware modding tools. While the power button switch can be pulled  apart to see which pins were supposed to be connected and/or not connected, I think the evidence you've presented so far suggests that the power circuits have likely been damaged beyond this forum's ability to come up with a practical repair. Accordingly, google shows that the new and re-mfd mainboards with part number DB.B4W11.001 are in stock from several vendors. New board quotes about $250USD. Re-mfd quotes on request. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, it looks like you pulled the traces up on two of the pins. It's likely repairable, but would be enough work that a technician that is skilled enough to do the work is going to charge as much or more than a replacement board. If we knew the pinout you could wire a switch in between two vias that connected to the pad and that would let you run, albeit without the power LED shining. If I were to guess, I'd be comfortable guessing the blue and green wires were the power switch and the back and red wires were the power LED (Black ground, red 5V). The switch is just a switch so it shouldn't matter which is which.

Answers

• Is your desktop under warranty? Have you tried checking with another cable? Check this link too: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/552337/what-is-wrong-with-my-computer-acer-predator-g1-710-has-constant-beep-upon-start-up-and-no-display
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • samuelB

Tinkerer

Hello

Sadly no warranty, tried with 3 power supplies with different cables, did reset the bios. Nothing happens when I try to power it, no sound from motherboard. I figured it must be the power button.
  • Was there any blackout in your home before the desktop presented? Have you tried a power reset by unplugging the desktop from the socket and pressing the power button for 30 seconds?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • samuelB

Tinkerer

I tried the power reset, but no results. It stopped working without any external causes, no blackout.
  • Have you tried to disconnect all hardware and then connect them individually and go testing?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• samuelB

Tinkerer

I ***** up, it was the power button, but I managed to remove the base for the pins by pulling too hard. Now the motherboard returned CMOS error when the pc booted when I randomly shorted them. What am I supposed to do?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited September 2019
    Have you tried disconnecting the rtc battery and reconnecting it again? Which pins did you shorted? It would be interesting to have this information so that other users can know how to proceed.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• samuelB

Tinkerer

Yes I have done that. Trying again the pc boots up with no cmos error from just connecting the power. After that 20 more tries with no success. 
  • What were the pins you caused the short?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• samuelB

Tinkerer

I have absolutely no idea because I was shorting them very randomly and I couldn't see what pins I shorted. I have had no luck with reproducing it. 
  • I have already checked colleagues JackE and Billsey helping other users with a similar problem. I will ask them to check this thread. 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• samuelB

Tinkerer

Thank you. 
    Here are some pictures which might help. Last one is the button connector. 
  • JackE
    >>>Trying again the pc boots up with no cmos error from just connecting the power. After that 20 more tries with no success.  >>>

Wow. The mainboard traces were torn and delaminated. How did you connect the power like this the first time with no error? But was this error displayed the next 20 times on trying to boot? If yes, did you instead try to enter the BIOS menu with the F2 key, then save settings and exit to see if it then boots with no error? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• samuelB

Tinkerer

The first time I shorted was the cmos boot error, I turned power off after that, then WITHOUT shorting the pins when turning the power on for another try the pc booted automatically without error. 
    The tries after that were with trying to short it, completely nothing happenend, no sound from motherboard. Tried to reproduce the first one but failed. 
  • JackE
    Which two P5  traces did you short the first time it booted with no error? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• samuelB

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Which two P5  traces did you short the first time it booted with no error? Jack E/NJ

samuelB said:
    I have absolutely no idea because I was shorting them very randomly and I couldn't see what pins I shorted. I have had no luck with reproducing it. 
    Sorry for my bad practises. It was however most likely a pair of the four on the bottom. I currently dont have a schematic of the board, so I may have destroyed the signal ones when I retried by connecting them to the LED power. 
  • samuelB

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    From my own research, it seems like the BIOS may have an option to turn automatically on when powered or by pressing a keyboard key. The motherboard has a lpc_debug connector. Would it be possible to edit the BIOS or turn the PC on through the connector? I have a laptop and a rasperry.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    It might be possible. But unfortunately we on the user forums neither have access to board schematics nor firmware modding tools. While the power button switch can be pulled  apart to see which pins were supposed to be connected and/or not connected, I think the evidence you've presented so far suggests that the power circuits have likely been damaged beyond this forum's ability to come up with a practical repair. Accordingly, google shows that the new and re-mfd mainboards with part number DB.B4W11.001 are in stock from several vendors. New board quotes about $250USD. Re-mfd quotes on request. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• samuelB

Tinkerer

Thank you. I will be posting some updates in case someone else encounters the same problem. The motherboard also seems to go with the name PEGATRON IPMSL-GM, and all of the schematics for it are behind some premium member forum things or a paywall. One possible schematic could be https://d3yn.blogspot.com/2017/05/pegatron-ipmsl-gm.html?m=1.
    Buying a new one at this point would be crazy, because the price I paid for my used system is smaller than the new mobo with shipping. When I get to the schematic I will also try to confirm the old question of whether the 2 psu:s are connected or not in the g1-710. I think I will figure it out on my own, and if anyone more beginner than me has any questions related to the G1-710, I might be able to answer them. 
  • JackE
    OK, yes I see that. Thanks. You might have a bit more luck googling and poring over the image files for the Pegatron mainboard. Good luck with it. The only other description that's associated with that part number on the specsheet and some vendors is "MB Kit G1-710 Intel H170 16MB Qualcomm E2400   Acer Logo Proprietary LF" Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ