Predator 500 (AMD) sloooooow boot.

Ppur26
Ppur26 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
224-232 seconds boot time reported by task manager, and I can confirm, booting takes about 4 minutes. 30 seconds with lights on, but blank screen, then over 3 minutes with just the logo after it appears.  during this time, pressing bios entry keys does nothing until the remaining time is up, until at about the 4 minute mark, you get into bios.  

startup entries are next to nothing, windows defender, Realtek audio, WavMaxx audio. that's it. everything else is disabled or removed.
fast boot is on, and I have also reset bios to factory optimized defaults.
all drives (3 total) are solid state and report good performance and no issues in disk testing.
factory reset on windows attempted, issue persists.
rollback from 1903 to 1809 windows build, issue persists.
sfc /scannow and other integrity checks pass fine, no issues.
RAM checks out fine. no issues.

Exact specs:
Windows 10 1809.  issue began on 1903, and as 1903 has had widespread issues, a rollback was performed to try to fix this, but it did not.
Ryzen 7 2700 CPU
Vega 56 GPU
4x8GB DDR4-2400 RAM

primary (OS boot) 256GB M.2 NVMe, original OEM/Acer provided storage drive.
secondary 512GB ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA III, in the open SATA M.2 slot.
tertiary 750GB Crucial MX300 2.5" SATA III, in the 2.5" bay behind the battery.

all passed error checks and have reasonable speed (near or above the average for the device ID across user benchmarks)

System is very new, 2 weeks old.

What else can I try to fix this? 

Best Answer

• Ppur26
    Answer ✓
    I've confirmed the issue is with the NVME/SATA IO controller for the M.2 drives stalling during boot. 2.5 inch SATA slot does not suffer from this, only if drives populate in either/both of the m.2 slot does the issue appear.  apparently I need to send it back to get this fixed, but I need the device for 3d rendering for school work so that's not happening.

Answers

• Ppur26
    WPA/WPR (boot trace tools in windows 10 SDK) show the problem isn't with windows, the actual boot time for windows after BIOS is around 9-12 seconds. I think I need to call support.
  • Ppur26
    Answer ✓
    I've confirmed the issue is with the NVME/SATA IO controller for the M.2 drives stalling during boot. 2.5 inch SATA slot does not suffer from this, only if drives populate in either/both of the m.2 slot does the issue appear.  apparently I need to send it back to get this fixed, but I need the device for 3d rendering for school work so that's not happening.