Acer nitro 5 overheating with in 2 months usage where as my 3 yr old HP unit still works

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019
    ash997 said:
    GajaN5 said:
    @GOKUL1990 @mehradzf @AhmadZainideen @tonykakkar
    Hi,
    I have a simple solution for the over heating problem.
    The laptop overheating because of the cooling design it's mainly targeting the GPU not the CPU, So you have to do is lower the CPU performance by 20-40%
    according to the temp that you maintain. basically you need the temp around 70 below. So follow the instructions below to lower the temp.
    1. Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings -> advanced settings 
    2. the select processor power management -> maximum processor state -> plugged in -> change 100 to 80-60.

If this method works put a like and if you have any doubt on this tag me and then reply 
    Is this what they call undervolting? And just for the record, will this affect the life expectancy of my processor in any way?
    No its basically switching off turbo boost which is the primary reason for the processor hitting such high temps. If u r using it for games that are not that processor intensive but rather gpu intensive you can switch off turbo boost and it should run fine.

@GajaN5@GOKUL1990 @mehradzf @AhmadZainideen @tonykakkar
    Nitro and Predator Laptops are designed to run hot, up to 90 deg C not 70 deg so throttling back to that temperature would be needlessly sacrificing performance, throttle it back to average 85 deg

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jimster480
    Jimster480 Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
    My Nitro5 Ryzen doesn't run at 90C.
    The Ryzen models run at like 65C on CPU and 75C on GPU.
    Its only Intel models that run at 90C.
  • andylb
    I didn't say they run at 90, I said they are designed to run hot up to 90, the point being that if it's running anywhere below 90 there is no need to take any further action. 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jimster480
    andylb said:
    I didn't say they run at 90, I said they are designed to run hot up to 90, the point being that if it's running anywhere below 90 there is no need to take any further action. 
    Yes it is true, they can run upto 90.
  • andylb
    andylb said:
    Yes it is true, they can run upto 90.
    Mine is the AMD and it does run a lot cooler 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Dayday111
    Dayday111 Member Posts: 1 New User
    GajaN5 said:
    Hi,
    The laptop overheating because of the cooling design it's mainly targeting the GPU not the CPU, So you have to do is lower the CPU performance by 20-40%
    according to the temp that you maintain. basically you need the temp around 70 below. So follow the instructions below to lower the temp.
    1. Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings -> advanced settings 
    2. the select processor power management -> maximum processor state -> plugged in -> change 100 to 80-60.

If this method works put a like and if you have any doubt on this tag me and then reply 
    This lowered the temp of my nitro 5, i5 8300 from the high 80s down to the 50s.
    I undervolted and repasted, which dropped me from the high 90s to high 80s. But this was the most significant difference.
     My laptop also had an option for performance mode or balance mode, and I selected the balance mode as well. This tip probably saved my brand new laptop... Also games seem to run just fine after doing this
  • tkalfaoglu
    tkalfaoglu Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

LIMIT the FPS in the game to around 30. you wont feel the difference -- human eye sees anything about 25 as a stream and not images.. then the laptop will be cool as a cucumber :)
  • andylb
    Dayday111 said:
    GajaN5 said:
    Hi,

This lowered the temp of my nitro 5, i5 8300 from the high 80s down to the 50s.
    I undervolted and repasted, which dropped me from the high 90s to high 80s. But this was the most significant difference.
     My laptop also had an option for performance mode or balance mode, and I selected the balance mode as well. This tip probably saved my brand new laptop... Also games seem to run just fine after doing this

The Nitro 5 series is designed to run hot, up to 90 deg c with spikes above that. If you are not experiencing the CPU throttling back or other heat related issues, then there it is pointless to throttle back your CPU and loose performance, why would you buy a Ferrari and drive it at half speed?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• chasperr
    chasperr Member Posts: 1 New User
    i'm about to buy the acer nitro 5 AN517-51-72ZZ Azerty (€1299), but now i'm reading this and wanna know if there are still problems with the laptops or did acer fix something? some advice would be nice right now.
  • andylb
    chasperr said:
    i'm about to buy the acer nitro 5 AN517-51-72ZZ Azerty (€1299), but now i'm reading this and wanna know if there are still problems with the laptops or did acer fix something? some advice would be nice right now.

Please start a new topic for your question with the model number in the title

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    chasperr said:
    Since the latest post was in August and that user has significant improvement it sounds like it's been sorted...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ginnamann
    ginnamann Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    i have nitro 5 AN515-52 and max temp my device touches is 99 degrees! so today i finally decided to change the thermal paste and what i found is the factory thermal compound is totally dry and turned into powder then i replaced it with another paste and then 17 degrees straight drop GTA 5 is giving me above 60 fps with no thermal throttling. I highly recommend to change thermal compound if your laptop is thermal throttling.

[Edited the post due to personal or inappropriate content posted. Acer-Harvey]
  • Jimster480
    ginnamann said:
    i have nitro 5 an515-52 and max temp my device touches is 99 degrees! so today i finally decided to change the thermal paste and what i found is the factory thermal compound is totally dry and turned into powder then i replaced it with another paste and then 17 degrees straight drop gta 5 is giving me above 60 fps with no thermal throttling so i agree they did a very ***** job in thermal paste application i highly recommend to change thermal compound if your laptop is thermal throttling

How did you disassemble it?
  • andylb
    ginnamann said:
    i have nitro 5 an515-52 and max temp my device touches is 99 degrees! so today i finally decided to change the thermal paste and what i found is the factory thermal compound is totally dry and turned into powder then i replaced it with another paste and then 17 degrees straight drop gta 5 is giving me above 60 fps with no thermal throttling so i agree they did a very ***** job in thermal paste application i highly recommend to change thermal compound if your laptop is thermal throttling

Please start a new Topic for your question and I will post a video showing how to disassemble and repaste

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ginnamann
    ginnamann Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

ginnamann said:

disassembling this laptop is pretty easy i started from removing the back cover detached the hard disk from the slot then there are two heat sink fans for gpu and cpu i removed them and noticed there is a piece of paper attached to the gpu then i removed it and applied new thermal paste and voila! 
  • Jimster480
    ginnamann said:
    ginnamann said:

disassembling this laptop is pretty easy i started from removing the back cover detached the hard disk from the slot then there are two heat sink fans for gpu and cpu i removed them and noticed there is a piece of paper attached to the gpu then i removed it and applied new thermal paste and voila! 

Thanks, I looked up how to disassemble it and replaced the paste with Thermalright TFX. Now the laptop CPU doesn't ever exceed 71C and GPU no more than 77C.
    If the CPU is working alone; it typically doesn't exceed 67C.

• K0de
    K0de Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I run VR off my Acer Nitro 5, core i5 9th gen, 16gig Ram (not stock) GeForce 1650. Although I am under requirement for VR it still runs just fine! 
    You don’t know overheating on a laptop till you run VR on it.. to solve my heating issue, I’m temporarily using a thermal paste till my thermal grizzly comes in but here is my attempt that worked amazingly..

.Corsair xtm50 thermal paste
    .undervolt cpu -160 (XTU Intel tune)
    .undervolt gpu -30 (XTU Intel tune)
    .targus dual fan cooling pad
    .desktop fan

then desktop fan is to blow colder air under the cooling pad to give it more cold air. 
    My temps where pushing 96c and on average was in the 89-90c area sustainable.
    now I’m barely hitting 80c on CPU. I figured I would share my attempt which worked tremendously! Hope this helps.

• Utkarsh281
    Utkarsh281 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I would like to know that how should I fix my overheating issues while playing games while connected to power source.My laptop is Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen 5 Quad Core,Model number-AN515-43R2M9. My laptop is nearly 2 weeks old,but it overheats very quickly while playing games.Temperature rises to nearly 90c very rapidly.
  • Jimster480
    I would like to know that how should I fix my overheating issues while playing games while connected to power source.My laptop is Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen 5 Quad Core,Model number-AN515-43R2M9. My laptop is nearly 2 weeks old,but it overheats very quickly while playing games.Temperature rises to nearly 90c very rapidly.

Open the laptop and redo the thermal paste. If you just purchased it; its likely that its old stock and the thermal paste dried up. It seems that this model has paste which dries up in about a year. Therefore if your model was mfg a year ago; then the paste is likely dried up.
    Thankfully it takes 20 minutes and simple tools to repaste this laptop due to the very friendly to disassemble design.
    I suggest purchasing some Thermalright TF8 or TFX for re-pasting the laptop.
  • marko355
    marko355 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hello everyone...  first, sorry for my english... 

Last few weeks I had problems with my laptop   AN515-51 (nitro5, nvidia1050ti, i5 model)
    I wont tell you - do it yourself  but  you should MAYBE just clean your fans, ventilators.
    I was searching for  fan control software, undervolting how-to  and i was affraid to do that...  
    Also, have to mention, I send laptop to service  in store where I bought it, they didn't take my premium varranty and gave me a bill for nothing, told me that my OS installation is wrong.
    Today  I opened my laptop ,  half disasemble it,  lost my varranty, but I personaly, after bad experience - dont care for varranty anymore.

Before  - laptop ran around 55-60°C on idle   and while gaming temperature show 97°C (i assume that is maximum of sensor, but i think that was more than because i couldn't put hand on metal frame above F1-F12 part of keyboard)
    After-   laptop is at the moment runing on 43°C (while im typing this, i consider it idle state)  and about 65°C  while gaming.
    I consider this  solved in my case

There was NO undervolting needed,  also  NO re-paste with thermal needed.  Everything works like a charm
    But I have to mention few things

Do not  do this if you wanna keep your warranty
    Open and mainetance your hardware on your own risk
    Cleaning fan/ventilator  without disasemble two screws holding it - it wont remove dust - you have to "bend over" both fans  and remove "dust-particle-stick"
    Do not blow into your fans because it could produce electricity and send pulse to the motherboard (if you are doing this - block fan, dont let it spin)
    Be gentle with fan connectors, you can use eyebrow picker, or some tool, do not pull for wires while disconnecting.

also, here is image

Thank you, have a nice day...
This discussion has been closed.