Nitro N50-600 D17ES upgrading PSU and GPU questions

dossdes
dossdes Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Morning all,
I have just got hold of a secondhand Nitro with the following spec;
I5 8400, 8gb ram, 256 ssd(m2 I think), 1TB HDD, GTX1050ti
Opening up the case I was expecting a 500w PSU however it only has a 300w one. I am wanting to upgrade the GPU therefore need to upgrade the PSU (the existing GPU as well as being underpowered for my upgrade doesn't have any 6+2 GPU power connectors, or if it has I can't for the life of me see them).
I am happy to take the front panel off, the DVD drive tray out etc, my question is twofold;
1, For the replacement PSU - I presume any standard ATX model will fit? Any specific brand (other than the cheapo ones) to avoid?
2, the existing cabling contains a couple of wires that go to the front panel (for the red light I believe). Are these attached onto the motherboard or as another thread alluded wired from the 20/24 pin power cable? If the latter is there any way of retaining the light after the PSU swap.

sorry for all the detail but I want to ensure I get the right model PSU etc and I go into the rebuild with as much information as possible.
thanks a lot

Best Answer

• david_eeee
    david_eeee Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Standard ATX PSUs CAN fit, but the one currently installed (presumably the same form factor as my own) is an mATX size. you can get an ATX size to fit, but there's something specific you need to do - if you open up the side of the case and look to the rear of the PSU (the wires might be in the way), there should be some sort of metal bracket attached to the unopenable side of the case. that metal bracket is holding the mATX PSU in place - you'll need to physically rip this bracket out from the rest of the case, because it will stop the ATX PSU from fitting in at all. It's been a while since i ripped it out, but if i remember correctly, it looks like a button, shaped like a D - you'll know it when you see it. After you get the bracket out, the ATX PSU will fit - it might take a little while and might require some awkward angles, but it can fit in place.

i HIGHLY recommend a modular PSU (that is, a PSU where you can take out or put in the wires as you see fit). there isnt much space inside the case, and having a non-modular PSU with random pointless wires clogging precious space will is incredibly unfun

the wires that go to to the front panel for the red light are NOT connected to the mobo power cable - but it is tied to close to said mobo connector, presumably for cable management. im not sure which power cord will connect to the red lights, but any decent PSU will have spare wires to connect to said light. if i had to guess, the same connectors as for optional fans is the same as the red lights

note that when you're removing the mobo connectors, DO NOT cut the wires that lead to the power button. its incredibly easy to do so if you're not paying attention

Answers

• david_eeee
    david_eeee Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Standard ATX PSUs CAN fit, but the one currently installed (presumably the same form factor as my own) is an mATX size. you can get an ATX size to fit, but there's something specific you need to do - if you open up the side of the case and look to the rear of the PSU (the wires might be in the way), there should be some sort of metal bracket attached to the unopenable side of the case. that metal bracket is holding the mATX PSU in place - you'll need to physically rip this bracket out from the rest of the case, because it will stop the ATX PSU from fitting in at all. It's been a while since i ripped it out, but if i remember correctly, it looks like a button, shaped like a D - you'll know it when you see it. After you get the bracket out, the ATX PSU will fit - it might take a little while and might require some awkward angles, but it can fit in place.

i HIGHLY recommend a modular PSU (that is, a PSU where you can take out or put in the wires as you see fit). there isnt much space inside the case, and having a non-modular PSU with random pointless wires clogging precious space will is incredibly unfun

the wires that go to to the front panel for the red light are NOT connected to the mobo power cable - but it is tied to close to said mobo connector, presumably for cable management. im not sure which power cord will connect to the red lights, but any decent PSU will have spare wires to connect to said light. if i had to guess, the same connectors as for optional fans is the same as the red lights

note that when you're removing the mobo connectors, DO NOT cut the wires that lead to the power button. its incredibly easy to do so if you're not paying attention
  • dossdes

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer, I’ll give it a shot at the weekend , cheers
  • dossdes

Hi, update on this. I ended up buying a Corsair modular psu, standard size. Luckily the exact same measurements as the existing 300w one it replaced. Modular was definitely the way to go as I only ended up using 1 Sata lead (although all four connections) and one PCIe lead. One point to note for anyone else doing this, the slimline dvd drive requires a specific connector which I had to buy from amazon to convert the standard Sata power lead into a small one.

thanks to the help from this forum I now have an upgraded psu with more than adequate power for any other upgrades I may do (perhaps a second hdd in future.)

thanks again
  • HeeLeong
    HeeLeong Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hey guy planning to replace my PSU 300w to possible 600/650w as well not sure it is the PSU also but occasionally got usb wireless mouse from acer hang and dragging. Video card change in the 1 month of getting as got weird sound.  Planning to upgrade some more ram and also future Video card change.  Now after the sound issue they change it to Asus Twin rtx 1650.
    My major concern as this is my first time what cable in the system that possible i need to install afraid after plug out then did not plug back
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    HeeLeong said:
    Hey guy planning to replace my PSU 300w to possible 600/650w as well not sure it is the PSU also but occasionally got usb wireless mouse from acer hang and dragging. Video card change in the 1 month of getting as got weird sound.  Planning to upgrade some more ram and also future Video card change.  Now after the sound issue they change it to Asus Twin rtx 1650.
    My major concern as this is my first time what cable in the system that possible i need to install afraid after plug out then did not plug back

Please start a new Topic for your question. This Topic is already marked SOLVED, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★