Spin 5 SP513 shuts off randomly and now will not shut down at all

JesusC
JesusC Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
I have a Spin 5 SP513 series.
It has been randomly shutting itself down. This usually happens after first turning it on, closing it without shutting it down, then opening it again minutes later. After that, it randomly shuts itself down. Even after turning it back on, it shuts down randomly again. 
Last night, something different happened. After using it for about an hour, my chrome browser stopped responding and the screen, besides the toolbar and mouse that I could still move but not click, went completely black. I attempted to shut it down with the power button, but that only shut off the monitor. Closing it does nothing. I assume it is trying to shut itself down. I left it like that overnight to drain the battery and shut it off that way, but when I woke up the fan was still spinning and the blue light was still on.
I am not very knowledgeable about computers so I am not sure where to go from here. I assume these issues will continue and possible worsen. I only had this laptop for one and a half years now.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,651 Pathfinder
    @JesusC
    Just try this and let us know

power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the unit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • JesusC
    @Jack22
    Hello and thank you for the comment.
    Unfortunately, this did not help the randomly shutting down issue that I am still having. Even as I typed this response, my laptop suddenly shut itself down.
  • Jack22
    JesusC said:
    @Jack22
    Hello and thank you for the comment.
    Unfortunately, this did not help the randomly shutting down issue that I am still having. Even as I typed this response, my laptop suddenly shut itself down.
    Does the shut down happen when the unit is plugged in charge or without connected to charger?
  • Jack22
    @JesusC
    Cover caps memory card and hard disk drive are not tightly pressed micro push buttons generate unexpected and random shutdown laptop when it is powered by the battery. So some laptop ave this issue.
    So give a try if not please call Acer support and send it in for repair
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• JesusC
    It shuts down when unplugged. The second issue that I described in the second part of  my original post happened when it was charging.
    I will attempt your suggestion in the image. If it does not work, then I will consider sending it in for repair.
  • Adi0
    Adi0 Member Posts: 1 New User
    So I have an Acer spin 5 as well and Im and having the same issue as well. I was looking at the picture above and had trouble identifying the two buttons. I included a picture of my laptop and was hoping some would could point them out for me.

• mcaslan
    mcaslan Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2019
    On June 4th the exact same thing began happening to my Acer SP513-51 -57TP  Why do these things happen to groups of users in clumps or waves.  It's like it's software Windows related.  Starting on that date the laptop started to shut down and would only power on if I used when plugged in.
  • lekjart
    lekjart Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had one that randomly shut itself off. After a little investigation I narrowed it down to the screws underneath starting to be loose. Apparently there is a protection mechanism that switches off power when back is loosened or opened. After tightening all the screws, things went back to ok.
  • thedarkleaves
    thedarkleaves Member Posts: 1 New User
    same problem, i checked and several screws were loose on the underside. three were actually missing, i found one on my desk.