Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51G-54PF) is shutting down randomly on battery power.

PranavVyas
PranavVyas Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have bought the laptop from Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51G-54PF) with intel i5-8 Generation, 2 TB harddisk and NVIDIA MX150 Graphics about A year ago
After 10 months it started to shutdown at random times and will not start until I connect to AC Adapter, after checking with service center It was fixed they told me It was "BIOS Update Issue" and It was fixed but after 3 months It started again.and this time it is more frequent and It is really frustrating... It happens at any time and it runs on AC power adapter well but sometimes (Not Always but often) It shuts down.and IT IS ANNOYING AS I HAVE DONE SOMETHING WHICH TAKES TIME AND IN LAST MOMENTS IT SHUTS DOWN (like video rendering, etc...) 
Laptop is not in the warranty now so suggest something before going to service center...
I need to fix this ASAP so Any help is appreciated

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PranavVyas

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Thank you @JackE for Your Answer,
    I have done as you have asked and attaching file here
    I have noticed that my full charge capacity is much less than design capacity and I have observed that laptop sometimes shuts down while it is moved or given jerks sometimes causes shutdown... 
  • JackE
    I think your battery is OK. It seems to show normally expected loss of capacity. Because the laptop shuts down with physical movement, I suspect that a spring-loaded normally-off safety switch  (SWG1) is not being pressed hard enough by a protrusion inside the bottom cover. The purpose of this safety switch is to cut power to the mainboard if the bottom cover is taken off or not properly assembled. It might  also need to be repeatedly momentarily depressed to help clean its contacts. You must remove the bottom cover to access this switch. While the cover is off, you might as well repeatedly depress the normally-on battery reset switch (SWG2) to help clean its contacts as well. You may have to tape or glue a spacer to SWG1 or the bottom cover so the switch is pressed harder to keep it activated when assembled. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PranavVyas

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    I think your battery is OK. It seems to show normally expected loss of capacity. Because the laptop shuts down with physical movement, I suspect that a spring-loaded normally-off safety switch  (SWG1) is not being pressed hard enough by a protrusion inside the bottom cover. The purpose of this safety switch is to cut power to the mainboard if the bottom cover is taken off or not properly assembled. It might  also need to be repeatedly momentarily depressed to help clean its contacts. You must remove the bottom cover to access this switch. While the cover is off, you might as well repeatedly depress the normally-on battery reset switch (SWG2) to help clean its contacts as well. You may have to tape or glue a spacer to SWG1 or the bottom cover so the switch is pressed harder to keep it activated when assembled. Jack E/NJ

Thank you for your response @JackE for your support! 
    I wanted to ask if this operation needs to open whole laptop back or just SSD slot or Hard disk slot? I do not have tools to oepn laptop right now so I would try if I have to open only slots...
    Thanks and Regards,
    Pranav Vyas
  • JackE
    SWG1 is directly below the RAM door. You may be able to reach it but it is also being depressed by the bottom cover. So you can't really push and release to try to clean its contacts. Sorry, the bottom cover should be removed for proper inspection, cleaning, and placement of a spacer on the cover or switch if it's not being pressed hard enough when the back cover is re-assembled. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AdityaPundir
    AdityaPundir Member Posts: 1 New User
     JackE said:

I have similar issue as stated by PranavVyas. I have tried generating the report as you suggested above. Can you please check and help. 

Aditya
  • JackE
    Battery seems OK. Open DeviceManager. Click 'batteries' folder. Right click and uninstall ALL drivers you find in this folder. Exit DeviceManager without reinstalling anything. Shut down Windows normally. Turn machine back on and let Windows auto re-detect charging contraol devices and auto install drivers. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sayandip
    Sayandip Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I have similar issue as stated by PranavVyas. I have tried generating the report as you suggested above. Can you please check and help.
  • Sayandip
    JackE said:
    Battery seems OK. Open DeviceManager. Click 'batteries' folder. Right click and uninstall ALL drivers you find in this folder. Exit DeviceManager without reinstalling anything. Shut down Windows normally. Turn machine back on and let Windows auto re-detect charging contraol devices and auto install drivers. Jack E/NJ
    Help me out!!
  • JackE

Your charger doesn't seem to be working anymore. What is the voltage output of the charger's plug between its outer ring and center hole? Should be 19v dc. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sayandip
    JackE said:

Your charger doesn't seem to be working anymore. What is the voltage output of the charger's plug between its outer ring and center hole? Should be 19v dc. Jack E/NJ
    Yes my original charger wasn't working,so i'm using someone's Dell Charger O/P is 19.5V! What should i do now? if i remove the charger sometimes laptop gets shut immediately and when it doesn't if i try to move it even slightly it gets shut
  • JackE
    You need a new charger specifically designed for your ACER's battery. https://www.amazon.in/SellZone-Adapter-Acer-Aspire-A515-51G-7850/dp/B084788LWF
    The Dell charger may not respond correctly to the battery's internal charge controller circuitry. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sayandip
    Are you sure battery is totally okay? i can buy this charger but will it resolve the shut down issue when i move it, completely? Or should i change battery or something else? What do you suggest?
  • Sayandip
    JackE said:
    You need a new charger specifically designed for your ACER's battery. https://www.amazon.in/SellZone-Adapter-Acer-Aspire-A515-51G-7850/dp/B084788LWF
    The Dell charger may not respond correctly to the battery's internal charge controller circuitry. Jack E/NJ

?
  • JackE
    I would try the correct charger first.  It's possible that the Dell charger hasn't damaged the battery yet. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sayandip
    JackE said:
    I would try the correct charger first.  It's possible that the Dell charger hasn't damaged the battery yet. Jack E/NJ
    Okay! in case the battery is damaged where i can get the battery?
  • I advise you to check the battery for wear with the hwinfo64 as well. Also, try putting a few layers of electrical tape over this button:
    Acer a515-41g-1480 no liga boto power  Acer Community
    Notebook Acer A515-51g-72gb Desligou sozinho e no liga mais
    I would also try to purchase the original power adapter.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kishore7227
    Kishore7227 Member Posts: 1 New User
    JackE said:

I am also facing the same situation my laptop is suddenly switching off due to physical moment, recently i have registered a complaint and given to acer servicing center and the problem was solved , but from now onwards i.e after 6 days , again it was giving trouble , should i follow the same process.
  • JackE
    You might first try to tighten each of the base cover screws a bit more. They may be a little bit loose and the cover may not be pressing hard enough against SWG1. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EpicUserIN
    EpicUserIN Member Posts: 3 New User
    I Have the same problem my laptop is an Aspire E5-573 my laptop is almost 5 years old and I have replaced the battery as the battery died and the new battery I had checked all the details of the old and the new battery and it was same so is battery fake or orignal if original then what should I do?file:///C:/Users/vijaygarje/battery-report.html this is my battery report