PH315-51 showing black screen after one hour of web surfing

Answers

• OGMike
    OGMike Member Posts: 123 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    @Roland_Lorinczi update on what I said about my BIOS in last post, did not help, I had a black screen when playing Battalion 1944, and then the laptop restarted, i may try finding an older version of win10 like 1809 and see if that is a more stable build, Im thinking it is a win10 issue as i have read about, also when my laptop rebooted, windows gave me a feedback option, and the first thing to report was "blank/black screen".
  • Duckrey
    Duckrey Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter
    @Duckrey @OGMike That's weird. For me it updated to 1.19 as well quite a while ago, through windows update ( I'm not certain exactly how long but it's been months, at least 2 or 3) and i've been - *knock on wood - black screen free ever since as well. Not sure what else may play a role. Graphics driver? windows version? 
    '

See if this helps. Let me know if you want me to send any other specific info that may help. Good luck guys!
     I have the same graphics drivers, even an update of Geforce from 5/22/2019, and windows version1809, should I update it to 1903?

By the way, my black screen issue isnt that it turns black while using the laptop. It is when I power it, the predator logo apears but then eternal black screen with the keyboard lights on. I can use the computer with an external TV. 
  • Duckrey
    Hi @Roland_Lorinczi @Acer-Manny  please help!
    I still have the black creen issue (the predator logo apears but then black screen with the keyboard lights on. I can use the computer with an external monitor) in my Predaor PH315-51 and I tried all this things.

• Batery Pin hole
    • Clean Ram pins
    • Update Windows latest 1903
    • Update Graphics driver 630  Date:  11/19/2018 Version: 25.20.100.6446
    • Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060   Date: 5/27/2019 Version 430.86
    • disable fast start
    • BIOS 1.26
    • Acer System Firmware 1.26    3/27/2019  Insyde 5.22.1.26
    • Intel SSD Version: 3.5.11 (Latest) Date: 5/21/2019

What else can I do? I´m desperate and I can´t believed I spent 1000U$S in something that did not work well from the first day.

• OGMike
    @Duckrey try going into your device manager, click on display adpaters, go yo your gpu, and look at the drivers, update drivers, and see f you can update drivers through onedrive, i had a microsoft tech go into my laptop and he did that and it seems to working fine *knock on wood*

• Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    @Duckrey yep, definitely looks like either display driver issue is the most likely in your case. Try OGMike's recommendation definitely and report back. If it didn't help we'll see what else we can do to troubleshoot. I mean you can rule out hardware at least easily by making a bootable linus stick and booting from that, with secondary monitor unplugged. If it still doesn't work, it may well be hardware and at least you know and can send it back etc. or if it works, we'll just have to narrow down what's causing it. But driver fix on display driver should work. Best of luck!
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Duckrey
    OGMike said:
    @Duckrey try going into your device manager, click on display adpaters, go yo your gpu, and look at the drivers, update drivers, and see f you can update drivers through onedrive, i had a microsoft tech go into my laptop and he did that and it seems to working fine *knock on wood*

What do you mean with "through onedrive"? I updated both drivers intel graphics and geforce with the device manager with the automatic search and it says "the best driver for your device is already installed"

Weird fact. I unplugged my inalambric mouse and turn on the laptop and the screen worked, then plug in the mouse and the cursor didn`t move.
    Then I shut it down, I repeated the previous thing, and the black screen appears. When I connect the TV and the mouse, the cursor was working fine.
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @Duckrey really sounds like some driver interference between them then. Try uninstalling the pointer device driver for the mouse and the graphics drivers and restarting. Windows will reinstall the now missing drivers upon restart and it could help. If not then look for older versions for them, maybe you can find a stable/compatible one.

Instructions for FIX

💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Duckrey
    I think i`m getting closer, it has something to do with the mouse. I closed the laptop, unplugged the mouse and power, when I opened again, it was working.  :open_mouth:
  • OGMike
    @Duckrey try a different mouse as well and see what happens.
  • Duckrey
    Well thanks for all the help, now update of the situation:
    I uninstalled the device of the Intel graphics 630, the Geforce 1060 y the mice pointer device from the Device Manager. Annnnnd
    It worked!! I restarted the laptop several times and always worked. 
    But now I have this two things in the Display Adapters, insted of the intel graphics 630 and the geforce.
    What should I do? update the drivers or keep it that way?

• Duckrey
    Something updated automatically, because I heared a sound and then the screen turn black, not even the external tv working.
  • OGMike
    @Duckrey i would make a restore point then update the drivers, and then if it messes up you have a restore point that you can fall back on.
  • OGMike
    Windows probably updated something automatically :/

• Duckrey
    Well final update, it has something to do with incompatibility between the two GPU?? because I can use the Nvidia 1060 perfectly with two monitors if I disable the intel graphics 630 with the device manager. But if I enable it (two gpu enable) it only appears the external monitor and black screen on the laptop. And the time I disable the nvidia 1060, I can use only de laptop, not dual monitor, and the discrete gpu remains idle.

• Roland_Lorinczi
    @Duckrey I'd definitely make a bootable stick with a different version of windows or even a linux distro, just to see and rule out hardware issue (or confirm). If you manage to rule it out, at least you know it's either windows version, driver...Or did you already do that to get back into the system and it still behaves like this? 

Instructions for FIX

• Duckrey
    Could you be more specific with that? I google it and I think a I´m not capable of doing that on my own.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited June 2019
    @Duckrey download a windows image abd burn it with rufus into a usb drive make the partition formatted as gpt/uefi the go into bios set a supervisor password disable secure boot and boot from the usb drive 

PS if you still have the acer factory recovery partition press ALT+F10 on boot and reset to factory do not keep your files but before that backup everything you would need (either taking the drive out and clone it or using a bootable os like hiren's bot cd/usb to be able to acess your drive and back it up) because it will delete everything

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Z_index
    Z_index Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Ok , soo, another frustrated user here, I got an "Acer predator helios 300 PH315-52" on the 22nd June 2019 ( about a week ago ) and now am having a black screen when trying to turn on the laptop(the keyboard backlight is on and the fans can be heard working but the screen is just black, as if the laptop is in an off state), I am currently typing this on the laptop but I am in safe mode, I don't know what is wrong, but when I check the device manager it looks like this : 
    Yeah, so looks like i got a lot of problems, i guess my question is ...... should i just do the bios update or wait and try to fix all these problems ?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited June 2019
    Z_index Acer factory reset clean install ALT+F10 on boot (No wonder its not working your missing/corrupted half of the important sys/hardware drivers ) if its not sorted after a clean install i would just send it for a replacement

PS: you can try to update all the damaged drivers first to see if it fixes it but for a 2 week old laptop this is not normal at all you either you did something to the OS that created this situation or it was the glorious windows updates that screwed it

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Z_index
    Z_index Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Ok Mr.Xapim , i will rather reset the laptop than deal with updates, Am Going offline (you know, to do the factory thing), pls stay around, and i am sure i havent done anything to the os , i stay in my area of expertise which is Gaming , programming and Digital Art. I never thought of messing with the os since this laptop is like a new model so i assumed it will have the latest of everything.
This discussion has been closed.