Cloned harddrive for SSD TravelMate P273-MG-6448

Options
Orvieto
Orvieto Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have TravelMate P273-MG-6448 (Windows 10/500GB SSD). I just cloned the original drive to SSD and swapped them. It's working very well.
It has an old software that the company doesn't exist anymore. Luckily it's been running well with W10. I cannot risk to lose this software (don't have disc nor exe file).

Here is my questions:
I'm worried about hardware failure.
1) If I buy an exact same used Acer laptop, does the original hard drive above work on this used laptop?

2) If it doesn't work. How much does it cost to fix it? For example, Apple has fixed repair cost (I believe it's around $300 for MacBook, no matter what is broken). Does Acer has a similar program?

I'm using this software for my work everyday, so I'd like to prepare for major hardware crash (something reminded me about this).

Thank you!
Orvieto

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    The original HDD can be read and the data extracted from any PC using a USB to SATA3 adapter cable. There is no guarantee that the old drive will boot even from an exact same used model due to unique mainboard identifiers. Jack E/ NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Orvieto
    Orvieto Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thank you JackE, yes I know you can read it with the adapter (that how I cloned it to SSD), but my question is if you can boot and run from it.