PCIe M.2 SSD support for Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-50WX

splendid
splendid Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Last week I bought Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-50WX (Johor Bahru, Malaysia) model which is equipped with 8th gen i5 8300HQ, 4GB DDR4 RAM and 1 TB hard disk, but without any SSD.

Booting and shutdown the notebook is such a painful and everytime it gulps above 3 to 4 minutes to boot up the system, since it's in hard drive obviously too slow...

I don't want to miss the hard drive's huge memory space and at the same time I need the performance. So I wants to use both hard drive and SSD simultaneously... If it supports SATA only, then no other way, have to swap the hard drive with the SATA SSD.

My question is, can this model supports PCI express M.2 SSD or not? If yes, can you please give me the correct PCI version.

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It supports both but check the pcie version using hwinfo64 and hit a photo!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    splendid said:
    Last week I bought Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-50WX (Johor Bahru, Malaysia) model which is equipped with 8th gen i5 8300HQ, 4GB DDR4 RAM and 1 TB hard disk, but without any SSD.

Booting and shutdown the notebook is such a painful and everytime it gulps above 3 to 4 minutes to boot up the system, since it's in hard drive obviously too slow...

I don't want to miss the hard drive's huge memory space and at the same time I need the performance. So I wants to use both hard drive and SSD simultaneously... If it supports SATA only, then no other way, have to swap the hard drive with the SATA SSD.

My question is, can this model supports PCI express M.2 SSD or not? If yes, can you please give me the correct PCI version.

Hi,
    You can install a NVMe SSD but it may work with 2 lanes enabled.
    http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Nitro-AN515-52/83703

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    splendid said:

Hi,
  • splendid

Tinkerer

I really appreciate your prompt response and substantial amount of information to make me understand that clearly... Thanks a lot...
  • splendid

Tinkerer

splendid said:

Hi,

As per your information, I wish to opt the NVMe SSD even though the price is slightly higher than M.2 SSD for the performance aspect.

I wish Acer should provide the complete User manual (which I got earlier with my old Acer Aspire laptop, at least the online version also highly appreciated).

Thanks a lot for your detailed information.

• raymundp
    raymundp Member Posts: 8 New User
    hi, i would like to know if my nitro 5 AN515-52 supports M.2 SATA as its boot drive?
  • raymundp said:
    hi, i would like to know if my nitro 5 AN515-52 supports M.2 SATA as its boot drive?
    Hi,
    Yes, you can use a M.2 SATA SSD as a boot drive.
  • rossathome
    rossathome Member Posts: 2 New User
    can a  M2 PCIe SSD also be bootable too ?
  • can a  M2 PCIe SSD also be bootable too ?
    Yes, it can be used as a boot drive.
  • Any type of ssd or hd can be used as a boot drive! However if you are using the computer in uefi mode, hd or ssd must be converted to gpt, whereas if you are using the computer in legacy mode, hd or ssd must be converted to mbr!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• superstealth
    superstealth Member Posts: 3 New User
    you will get x4 pcie speeds 
    try taking a look at the xpg sx8200 , it is around myr 450 and the speeds are mind bowing 

here is the full tech specs  if you have any questios about the laptop
    https://www.jmt.bg/productfiles/NEW_NITRO_5_AN515-52.pdf
  • Melonicious22
    Melonicious22 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Hi im currently having acer nitro 5 AN515-52 50WX and when And when I place the adata xpg sx8200 Pro my laptop won't detect it and the booting is taking forever what should I do? Reinstall the m2 ssd again? 
  • Hello @Melonicious22! Is your ssd identified in the bios information section?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Melonicious22
    No its not detected in the bios as well please help me T_T I think I'll try to reinsert my ssd first  
  • @Melonicious22 What is the exact model of your notebook? Example an515-51-75kz.Have you tried disconnecting hd? The problem is that your notebook has rst with optane and this could break the array! Was there an optane memory previously installed?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Melonicious22
    my model is ANS 515-52-50 WX . Nope i havent tried disconnecting my hard drive and the m.2 ssd slot is empty from the beginning if thats what you mean?do explain to me if i misunderstood your question >.< Thank you!!!
  • OK! With hd disconnected, connect the ssd m2 2280 and verify that ssd is identified here:

Also try changing the rst with optane option to ahci! This may break the raid array!
    Then send me a photo!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Melonicious22
    I did as you told and it still didn't recognise the ssd and now my pc is stuck at the loading screen because the hdd is plugged out 
  • OK! Put the sata mode in the rst with optane option again and then connect the hd! Disconnect ssd!
    Then try upgrading bios to version 1.19 and make sure ssd is recognized: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.19_A_A.zip?acerid=636685323754871864&amp;Step1=NOTEBOOK&amp;Step2=NITRO&amp;Step3=NITRO AN515-52&amp;OS=ALL&amp;LC=pt&amp;BC=ACER&amp;SC=PA_3
    Do not upgrade to version 1.22 as there is a problem with the keyboard lights!
    If ssd is still not recognized then ssd is in trouble and you should replace it!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Melonicious22
    sir my bios version is already 1.19 ill try changing the sata mode back to rst optane again 
  • HederC_Lessa
    HederC_Lessa Member Posts: 1 New User
    409/5000
    Good afternoon, I have the same problem with "Melonicious22". I have the Acer Aspire Nitro 5 Gamer Notebook AN515-51-78D6, I tried to install the ssd m2 kingston a1000 the operating system several times and I could not always, from some error, already tried in gpt format and in mbr. It even installs the system, but when it is completing the installation of the error and asks to restart, not proceeding to the other steps.