No access to UEFI after changing the boot order (VeraCrypt)

Options
ConnectName
ConnectName Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Acer Swift 1 SF114-32
Windows 10 Home Version 1803
VeraCrypt 1.23
---------
The system (ONLY the system partition; no other partition) was encrypted with VeraCrypt.
Everything works as desired. Access to UEFI is also possible.

But as soon as the boot order is changed in the UEFI (VeraCrypt to position 1, Windows position 2) you no longer have access to the UEFI. Unless you decrypt the system partition again. Then the access to the UEFI works again.
Error occurs with BIOS/UEFI v1.03 and 1.07.

For a detailed description of the problem, see here:
https://github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt/issues/400

---

It is incomprehensible to me how only changing the boot order permanently prevents access to the UEFI. And as soon as the system partition has been decrypted again, you have access. This is crazy.

---------

=== Deutsch ===
Das System (NUR die Systempartition; keine weitere Partition) wurde mit VeraCrypt verschlüsselt.
Alles funktioniert wie gewünscht. Auch der Zugriff auf UEFI ist möglich.

Sobald aber im UEFI die Bootreihenfolge geändert wird (VeraCrypt auf Position 1, Windows Position 2) hat man keinen Zugriff mehr auf das UEFI. Außer man entschlüsselt die Systempartition wieder. Dann klappt der Zugriff auf das UEFI wieder.
Fehler tritt mit BIOS/UEFI v1.03 und 1.07 auf.

Es ist für mich unverständlich wie einzig das Ändern der Bootreihenfolge den Zugriff auf das UEFI dauerhaft verhindert. Und sobald die Systempartition wieder entschlüsselt wurde, hat man Zugriff. Das ist verrückt.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    I can't use the github link. What do you mean by not having access to UEFI when you change the boot order? Why do you want to change the boot order anyway? What are you trying to do?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ConnectName
    Options
    JackE said:
    What do you mean by not having access to UEFI when you change the boot order?
    If I want to access BIOS / UEFI version 1.03 with F2, the interface appears without entries.

If I want to access BIOS / UEFI version 1.07 with F2, only a black screen with blinking underscore appears.

JackE said:
    Why do you want to change the boot order anyway? What are you trying to do?
    If you use VeraCrypt under Windows 10, it's only a matter of time until Windows changes the order and comes back to the first place. This ends with the Windows bootloader not being able to start Windows thanks to an encrypted drive and always starting its repair mode. This happens at every start, like an endless loop.

But if you press F12 at startup and select the bootloader of VeraCrypt there, Windows starts normally again after entering the password.

Which was also the reason to move the entry to the first place in the BIOS / UEFI. You don't want to take the detour via F12 at every start.

---------

=== Deutsch ===
    Wenn ich bei BIOS / UEFI Version 1.07 mit F2 drauf zugreifen will, erscheint die Oberfläche ohne Einträge.

Wenn ich bei BIOS / UEFI Version 1.07 mit F2 drauf zugreifen will, erscheint nur ein schwarzer Bildschirm mit blinkendem Unterstrich.

-

Wenn man VeraCrypt unter Windows 10 einsetzt, ist es nur eine Frage der Zeit bis Windows die Reihenfolge ändert und sich wieder an die erste Stelle setzt. Das endet damit, das der Windows Bootloader dank verschlüsseltem Laufwerk Windows nicht starten kann und immer seinen Reparaturmodus startet. Das passiert dann bei jedem Start, wie eine Endlosschleife.

Wenn man aber beim Start F12 drückt und dort den Bootloader von VeraCrypt auswählt, startet Windows nach der Passworteingabe wieder normal.

Was auch der Grund war im BIOS / UEFI den Eintrag auf die erste Stelle zu  verschieben. Man möchte ja nicht bei jedem Start den Umweg über F12 gehen.

• ConnectName
    Options
    At the next start the game starts from the beginning.
    ---------
    Beim nächsten Start geht das Spiel von vorn los.

• JackE
    Options
    ConnectName>>>If you use VeraCrypt under Windows 10, it's only a matter of time until Windows changes the [boot] order >>>

The ACER BIOS firmware does not have an option to lock the boot order. However, VeraCrypt apparently can be set in its efi file so that its boot order can't be changed even by the user since it essentially takes control of the BIOS as you have already found. In order to for you to be able to regain control of the BIOS, the HDD or SSD would then have to be removed. To me, this seems to be a very risky workaround. If it was mine, I'd probably put up with the F12 inconvenience. https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/technical/thread/daa9bb26/

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• ConnectName
    Options
    Starting with version 1.24 VeraCrypt will prevent Windows 10 from simply registering before VeraCrypt in the boot order.
    See change log: https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Release Notes.html

I rather wonder how Acer managed to deliver the EFI firmware so broken. And I wonder if this problem affects other Acer devices.

It can't be that the EFI firmware doesn't allow access to BIOS / UEFI just because you changed the boot order. By default, the EFI firmware is independent of the system partition.

You should ask yourself if you can use such a device to store important data.

---------

=== Deutsch ===
    Ab Version 1.24 wird VeraCrypt verhindern dass Windows 10 sich bei der Bootreihenfolge einfach vor VeraCrypt einträgt.
    Siehe Änderungsprotokoll: https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Release Notes.html

Ich frage mich vielmehr, wie Acer es geschafft hat die EFI firmware so kaputt auszuliefern. Und ich frage mich ob dieses Problem noch andere Geräte von Acer betrifft.

Es kann doch nicht sein, das die EFI firmware den Zugriff auf BIOS / UEFI nicht ermöglicht, nur weil man die Bootreihenfolge geändert hat. Die EFI firmware ist standardmäßig unabhängig von der Systempartition.

Man sollte sich fragen, ob man so eine Gerät zum Speichern von wichtige Daten verwenden kann.
  • JackE
    Options
    Ich beziehe mich auf die efi-Dateien auf der ESP-Partition, nicht auf Win10-System. Ich denke, dass die meisten, wenn nicht alle von uns in der ACER-Bbnutzergruppe weder VeraCrypt verwenden noch verstehen, wie es mit der ACER UEFI-bootstrap implementierung interagiert. Die ACER Implementierung scheint jedoch nicht vollständig mit der VeraCrypt-Technologie kompatibel zu sein --- oder --- VeraCrypt scheint nicht vollständig mit dem ACER-bootstrapper kompatibel zu sein. :)  Jack E/NJ

I refer to the efi files on ESP partition, not of Win10 system. I think that most if not all of us on ACER user group neither use VeraCrypt nor understand how it interacts with ACER UEFI bootstrap implementation. However, ACER's implementation seems to be not fully compatible with VeraCrypt technology --- OR --- VeraCrypt seems not to be fully compatible with ACER's bootstrapper.  :)   Jack E/NJ

ConnectName>>>You should ask yourself if you can use such a device to store important data.>>>
    Ja. Ich habe mich gefragt. Also drucke ich kritische Daten auf Papier. Und sichern Sie alles andere auf einem anderen Medium, das auf jedem Windows-, Linux- oder Unix-System verwendet werden kann, auch wenn es von ACER erstellt wurde.. :) Jack E/NJ

Yes. I asked me. So I print critical data on paper. And back up all else on another medium that's usable on any Windows, Linux or Unix system even if made by ACER. :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ