Would I be able to user pci express 16X graphic card slot for M.2 SSD adapter

john92
john92 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I would like to get M.2 SSD adapter but don't know if it would work on pcie  16x slot, which may be designated for graphic card.  
https://www.amazon.com/GLOTRENDS-Adapter-Aluminum-Heatsink-Support/dp/B07GDFX3YJ/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=m.2+adapter&qid=1549975601&s=gateway&sr=8-13

thanks in advance

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Even if the the PCIe bus of the M.2 expansion card is shorter than the x16 port, it should work, theoretically. As long as the card fits, it should work. The x16 port isn't designed for GPUs only, it just has 16 PCIe lanes. The GPU usually is connected there, because it can take advantage of the extra bandwidth provided by the x16 port.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    The colleague ven98 has already replied! I think this kind of adapter will work, but I think ssd will not reach its maximum performance!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• The ssd m2 2280 pcie nvme gen3x2 or gen3x4 can only be connected to the m2 port!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • john92
    I have only one M.2 slot for SSD. If I want to add more M.2 SSD, then I have to use M.2 adapter. Do you think this pcie 16x supports M.2 SSD adapter?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Even if the the PCIe bus of the M.2 expansion card is shorter than the x16 port, it should work, theoretically. As long as the card fits, it should work. The x16 port isn't designed for GPUs only, it just has 16 PCIe lanes. The GPU usually is connected there, because it can take advantage of the extra bandwidth provided by the x16 port.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Is this type of adapter you are looking for?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• john92
    yes, thanks,
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    The colleague ven98 has already replied! I think this kind of adapter will work, but I think ssd will not reach its maximum performance!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer