Acer Nitro 50 N50-600EB14 - How to remove the LED red header light wires from the 24 pin connector?

david_eeee
david_eeee Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, am currently in the middle of swapping out a PSU on the N50-600EB14, and I've run into a bit of an issue

The LED red header light on the front connects directly to the 24 pin connector on the motherboard through the use of an adapter instead of directly to the motherboard itself. Is there a way for me to somehow transfer these wires to the motherboard instead? I'd like to keep the header lights if I can when I swap the PSU

If, in the unfortunate situation that I can't actually transfer over said header wires to the motherboard, would it be possible to remove the header wires from the case instead?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Can you post a picture of how the LEDs are connected to the 24pin. If only 2 cables are connected there, then it probably is 12V and ground.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• david_eeee
    david_eeee Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    Hi, @ven98

Here is an album of 6 images with relevant pictures

https://imgur.com/a/TKwezZl

pictures 1 and 2 are unedited
    pictured 3 is edited to show the red line, and the green line that connects to the psu
    pictures 4 and 5 are edited to show where the blue and red lines are

I turns out i may be wrong, and the led header lights are not connected to the 24 pin connector - i think. It is tough to see because of the adapter(?) is binded so closely to the 24pin connector through the use of a white zip tie (seen in image 3)

the way i think the current flows is 
    PSU -> wire (Green wire in picture 3) -> bottom adapter (picture 2/3) - > top adapter (picture 1) -> red wire (picture 5) - > adapter (picture 5) - > blue wire (picture 4/5) - > connected to the header from the back of the front panel

do you have any recommendations for how i could potentially transfer the led header lights to the new psu? I can't tell if the adapters happen to be peripheral based or something else. you mentioned something about 12volt wire and grounding, but how would i connect that?

I'm very close to transferring everything over to the new PSU (picture 6)
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It seems that is the cable for the leds(the one that you have marked), as there is nothing else besides the LEDs and the ODD at the front, which I assume you have already disconnected. I can't really anything out from the pictures really. You can easily find out if that is for the leds by disconnecting it.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• dossdes
    dossdes Member Posts: 4 New User
    david_eeee 
    sorry for resurrecting an old post. I've just picked up a secondhand Nitro with 300w PSU and a GTX1050TI installed (with 8gb ram, i5 8400, 256ssd and 1tb hd). 
    I want to do the same as you and install a faster GPU but it appears the existing 300w PSU doesn't even have connectors to power a GPU (the 1050TI is board powered) so I need to upgrade to a better PSU.
    Did you sort the issues with the front panel LED's ? any help / advice greatly appreciated.
    thanks