Spilled coffee with creamer on my Acer Swift 3

bubbles123
bubbles123 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

As the title says, I spilled coffee with a bit of creamer on my Acer Swift 3 (now out of warranty) yesterday afternoon (extremely terrible idea having my mug beside it, learned my lesson). Anyway, so I unplugged my charger and turned off the laptop right away and tried to soak as much out of the liquid with a paper towel and tilted it/laid it flat etc, put it in rice for a bit (but was never fully covered so probably didn't work). 

Anyway, after letting it dry for a few hours, it wouldn't turn on by itself unless it was plugged in. My touchpad was messed up, it kept scrolling by itself, my fingerprint scanner wasn't working, the sound it makes when it's plugged in kept repeating, the laptop would suggest words for me when I type a letter and I couldn't delete the words, there was a bit of blue on the screen (blue screen, I guess but not the entire screen). So I turned it off again. The battery LED light indicator was purple and the power LED indicator was pink (?). 

After a couple more hours, I turned it on again and the touchpad was starting to work fine, there was no more predictive text I couldn't delete, etc. But then "power surge on USB port" or something along those lines kept popping up. So I turned it off again and laid it flat again. About an hour or so later, I turned it on again and my fingerprint sensor was back and the "power surge" message went away. The purple light for the battery indicator went away and was now blue (although not plugged in). Eventually, the blue light for the battery indicator went away and only the power indicator (blue) remained. I left it out to 'dry' again overnight. 

I just tried out my USB ports and they seem to be working. However, now the issue is even when my laptop is off the power indicator light remains on (at orange). Everything seems to be working fine as of now (better than yesterday afternoon) however, I know I should probably get it checked out. If anyone has had something like this happen to them (LED indicator, spill with sugary substance in it), what did you do until you can get it looked at and what were the issues you had with your laptop? I looked online and I'm worried about corrosion, battery issues (obviously) and other problems with the hardware. I feel absolutely horrible right now but I learned my lesson. Thank you for any help. 

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,651 Pathfinder
    @bubbles123
    You should leave the laptop in the rice bag atleast 2 days. At this point since you have this problem it might be a hardware issue as well since there was liquid spill. Even Acer does not take the unit for service if there is liquid spill on the unit.
    Just try the below step once and check:
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Hello! I already went through a similar situation when I spilled coffee on my v3-571! In my case, no coffee dropped on the motherboard, but I had to replace the keyboard. I think the best solution is to take it to a service center so the technician can assess the damage and clean the motherboard with 100% isopropyl alcohol! Sugar in coffee can cause corrosion!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bubbles123

Tinkerer

Jack22 said:
    @bubbles123
    You should leave the laptop in the rice bag atleast 2 days. At this point since you have this problem it might be a hardware issue as well since there was liquid spill. Even Acer does not take the unit for service if there is liquid spill on the unit.
    Just try the below step once and check:
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.

Thank you. I will put it back in rice and see what happens. Even though it's been about 24 hours at this point? I haven't plugged in my charger since yesterday but I will keep trying to "reset" the battery at the back of the laptop. I've tried this a few times but not for 30 seconds. 
  • bubbles123

Tinkerer

Hello! I already went through a similar situation when I spilled coffee on my v3-571! In my case, no coffee dropped on the motherboard, but I had to replace the keyboard. I think the best solution is to take it to a service center so the technician can assess the damage and clean the motherboard with 100% isopropyl alcohol! Sugar in coffee can cause corrosion!
    Thank you. Yes, the corrosion is what I am worried about so I will have to get it checked out. Did you experience any issues including LED indicator issues (battery/power) once you re-booted your laptop after the spill? 
  • No, because in my case, only coffee fell on the keyboard, that is, fortunately did not hit the inside of the notebook!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)