C720 Chromebook won't turn on.

Options
hedhunter62
hedhunter62 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
After being unused for a year or more it will not turn on. Has been charging for days but nothing works. I found a community response from back in Oct 2018 for a different model Chromebook, which suggests taking the back off and disconnecting the battery for 60 seconds. My question is: Is this recommended for the C720? Or am I risking damage to the motherboard or other hardware

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,764 Pathfinder
    Options
    @hedhunter62
    Try this

Hard reset your Chromebook

For most Chromebooks, follow the steps below:

1. Turn off your Chromebook.
    2. Press Refresh Refresh + Power Power. for 20 seconds. Than press the power button and check it should work, if not connect the charger and try.
    3. If still dont work try with different charger.
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • hedhunter62
    Options
    This doesn't really answer my question. I don't want to do a hard reset if it can be avoided. So I ask again, is there any reason not to try disconnecting the battery on a C720 which refuses to turn on after a year of inactivity?
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,764 Pathfinder
    Options
    @hedhunter62
    I do understand, but the hard reset is the troubleshooting to steps to fix few hardware issue. It might delete offline data but the google drive data will be safe. There are chances the hard reset may fix your issue without removing the battery.
    But still if you want to remove the battery than you need to remove the screws from the back of the laptop.

• hedhunter62
    Options
    I have tried the hard reset but it has no effect. The screen remains black. I have removed the back and disconnected the battery for 60 seconds; screen remains black when I try to turn it on. The indicator lights are both blue, even when not connected to the charger. What else is there that I can do?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    If it was discharged for that long it wouldn't be surprising if the battery were beyond saving. When these batteries get below a certain point recharging is disabled, due to issues with catching on fire if you try to recharge past that point. A replacement battery should get you back running.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hedhunter62
    Options
    I understand that the battery may no longer be re-chargeable, but shouldn't the Chromebook still boot up when on the charger? Clearly, the charger works since the lights are blue for power status.
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Options
    I understand that the battery may no longer be re-chargeable, but shouldn't the Chromebook still boot up when on the charger? Clearly, the charger works since the lights are blue for power status.
    Yes regardless to the battery the device should turn on with charger connected. 

I would recommend you to try the steps suggested by @Jack22 . Doing hard reset would not harm the device. Also, this is one of common solution given by google themselves.

Please share the result post hard reset.

Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • hedhunter62
    Options
    I have tried the Hard Reset. Nothing happens. Not even a flicker on the screen. I have tried it multiple times, with the charger on and with it off. Meanwhile, the LED indicators are blue both for battery charge and for power status. I even checked the screen brightness to be sure that the screen hadn't been turned off.
    I can't escape the feeling that there is something else wrong other than the battery, but I don't know what to try next.
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Options
    I have tried the Hard Reset. Nothing happens. Not even a flicker on the screen. I have tried it multiple times, with the charger on and with it off. Meanwhile, the LED indicators are blue both for battery charge and for power status. I even checked the screen brightness to be sure that the screen hadn't been turned off.
    I can't escape the feeling that there is something else wrong other than the battery, but I don't know what to try next.
    As you mentioned both the battery and charging indication is good. This looks more like display issue. Could you try connecting a monitor with HDMI cable and test the device. 
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer