How compatible is Ubuntu with Predator Helios 300 series

Options
2»

Answers

• kaboume
    kaboume Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    If the problem IS the SATA raid mode, the live Ubuntu sessions from stick should Work ?

Another distribution Linux could work ?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    I agree. Worth trying. https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3669  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    Hello,

I don't have a Helios 300, but I did a little Google search.  Apparently, you must go in to the BIOS settings and change the touchpad from advanced to basic.  There's some more tips and tricks in link below.

https://marclandolt.ch/ml_buzzernet/2018/07/04/installation-ubuntu-auf-acer-predator-helios-300-nh-q3eez-001-ph317-52-7919/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    Options
    JordanB Might be worth trying too. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kaboume
    Options
    Yes !!!!  ;)
    With the touchbad classic, the installation process works ! 
    Thank you very much JackE & JordanB !
    Have a good day
  • JackE
    Options
    Congrats on your success. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kaboume
    Options
    Hi,
    Some news : ubuntu is now installed. 
    But everythink doesn't work as expected : when I click on the settings icon or when I choose to shutdown ubuntu, the interface freezes and  I have to do a hard reset to exit ubuntu.

• JackE
    Options
    >>>But everythink doesn't work as expected>>>

Heh-heh. This is to be expected for hardware that was mainly designed to support the Windows operating system. Most Linux installations are not 'turnkey' in which all or nearly all the hardware is properly detected & configured. Some manual tweaking is necessary. This is where the specific Linux distrubutions and their respective user forums can be critical to solving issues like this.

Also remember that the look, feel and operation in many Linux GUIs are different than Windows GUIs. Here's again is where the Linux distribution can be important. For example, from my own personal experience one of the better distributions is LinuxMint in terms of ease of installation, helpful forums, and GUIs such as Cinnamon that can be easily set up with basically the same look, feel and operation of Windows 7, arguably the best version released in the past decade.

Since you have a Ubuntu flavor already installed, I suggest trying to solve some of these issues one by one with help from one or more of the Ubuntu forums listed here. https://ubuntuforums.org/ . If they can't be easily solved, then you might want to consider installing another Linux GUI flavor like Mint Cinnamon. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• kaboume
    Options
    OK JackE, I understand.
    Thank you for your advices.
  • JackE
    Options
    Good luck kaboume. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kaboume
    Options
    After installed the nvidia drivers, everything works fine ! 
    Thank you so much for your patience

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install nvidia-384 nvidia-settings
  • JackE
    Options
    Congratulations kaboume  I am happy for your success! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• asperaa
    asperaa Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    kaboume said:
    Thanks JackE.
    I followed the instructions to install Ubuntu with a usb disk drive but the installation freezes on the first screen (the country choice) : the mouse doesn't move and the keyboard doesn't work :(

Hi I found work around from the link below
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2349782

1. When you see the loader to "Install Ubuntu" etc ... press "e" and edit a line:
    Replace "quiet splash" to "nomodeset" and press F10 to boot.

Then after the installation is complete, you will have to reboot.

2. This time you will now encounter the GRUB. Again, press "e" and edit a line:
    In the line that starts with "linux", add "nouveau.modeset=0" at the end of that line.

Your Linux should now boot.

P.S. Mark the thread as solved if this solves the issue
    3. After this, you need to install the nvidia drivers. Reboot. And then it's done.

• gustavosr98
    gustavosr98 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi!

I have installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on my Acer Helios 300 2019 Laptop with i7850h.
    I use a Samsung EVO 950 SSD SATA to boot Ubuntu and the default PCI NVe to boot Windows. 

- How do I know if I have an Optane Card installed on my laptop?
    - If I have it, will it be better to have SATA in RST premium with Optane mode than to have it in AHCI mode?
    - Why do you recommend disabling VTX and VTD? (Doest VT tech only work if I use virtual machines or it also works on a daily basis?)

Beforehand thank you very much. I will help me a lot.

Gustavo Sánchez from Venezuela
  • gustavosr98
    gustavosr98 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    It* will help me a lot. Sorry
  • JackE
    Options
    If you have a factory installed 2.5" SSD, you likely don't have an optane card installed since they're meant to speed up HDDs, not SSDs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beta6nine9
    beta6nine9 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    You still doing this?  Ok, here's the thing - disable HST in the bios and disable secure boot.  Ubuntu installer can resize those partitions for you.   Download rufus portable and put the iso on the usb.  Now, reboot and (I) hit f2 and f10 and booted to the USB.  I installed it and currently using it.  If you need my help I can either call you, TeamViewer to you (once online), or we can email back and forth.  I blew away my Windows partition because I can do everything in Linux.  I use the UnOfficial webapps for Office 2016 and Evolution and imported my .pst file.

Since I have to create documents on the fly for licenses, I copied the license templates over to /home/b3ta/Templates and can right click and copy it to the folder on the fly.  Then I just have a bash script to sed based on command line input.