Strange freeze bug - Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52

BogdanX904
BogdanX904 Member Posts: 51 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited January 2021 in Nitro Gaming
As always, I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52, with an i5 8300H, GTX 1050, Windows 10 Home 64bit and 8 GB of ram. I was playing CS: GO, and then the laptop froze, and a sound played, someone was shooting. Well, every other sound stopped and the one that was played just before it froze started to repeat, like a buzzer sound. I touched the laptop and it was barely warm, it surely didn't overheat, but why does that happen? I hate it, I have to force shut it down and then booting up takes a long time, and after that, my icons, taskbar etc load slowly, not like usually. Any help on what it might be? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search 'power plan'. In the left panel click 'choose a power plan'. Change the power plan to high or maximum performance from either Balanced or Power Saver plans. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BogdanX904
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search 'power plan'. In the left panel click 'choose a power plan'. Change the power plan to high or maximum performance from either Balanced or Power Saver plans. Jack E/NJ
    It is already. It's not that.
  • JackE
    Did this always happen with CS: GO? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BogdanX904
    edited January 2019
    JackE said:
    Did this always happen with CS: GO? Jack E/NJ
    Hmmm, yeah, but idk surely, because it doesn't happen everytime. It just happened to me on Deceit, and on it I get decent temperatures, and by that I mean low and it just happened again. After some seconds the laptop restarted itself. I undervolted it to -150mV (-0.150V). But on CS: GO that time I didn't undervolt it and it still happened.
    Edit: Also after this restart the voltage resetted, I expected it to anyway. But if it matters I am saying it here
  • BogdanX904
    Recently, the graphic drivers of the GTX 1050 were updated. On 12 December 2018, I updated them. Could it be that? All that games used the GTX 1050...
  • JackE
    edited January 2019
    Try the Balanced power plan if you haven't tried it yet to see what happens. Still keep charger plugged in and battery near 100% charge level  BEFORE starting heavy gaming load. No undervolting. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Do one thing at a time. First try change to Balanced plan to see what happens. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BogdanX904
    1. It would overheat.
    2. My performances would be *****. 
    Even if it works like that it wouldn't help me. I will try it tho.
  • JackE
    >>>I will try it tho>>>

I like your attitude BogdanX90  even thought the odds are bad:)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BogdanX904
    Thanks!
    It may be the graphic drivers.... Before that update it never happened....
  • JackE
    Did you update from the ACER site  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7572?b=1  ? Check to see if you have a graphics driver rollback option available in Device Manager. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BogdanX904
    Nothing seems to work. It still happens. May it be the 1.22 bios version? Should I downgrade?
  • BogdanX904
    Can anybody help me? :(
    I am desperate :(
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    BIOS can't be downgraded.

From the previous thread that you have created you mentioned that the system freezes even without undervolt. At this point you can try a factory reset of windows and if that doesn't work you should contact Acer support.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JackE
    (1) You didn't answer my previous question. Did you update from the ACER site  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7572?b=1  ?
    (2) Did you also change the BIOS firmware?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• puzzlejuzzle
    puzzlejuzzle Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2019
    I think the problem is in the hard disk. I have Acer Aspire 7 i7 7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti, 8GB RAM and my HDD Wesern Digital Blue 1 terabyte is installed as file storage. I noticed that I have friezes in games (the so-called stuttering) when the action performed, for example, detonation of explosives in Hitman 2 - for the first time the action in the location occurs with a delay of about a second. In Mafia III, the frieze can occur during the first collision with another car after starting the game. In Watch_Dogs 2, I could not play due to the abundant number of friezes at the beginning of the game process in the first 15 minutes of launch, I transferred it to the SSD and this solved the problem. I think the problem with other games is precisely this - HDD mobile class and has the appropriate nuances like a very frequent head parking. However, this problem in the form of friezes does not apply to other games - such as BF1, GTA 5 or Far Cry 5. And some not very demanding indie projects may have a this problem, and some AAA projects are not. It's makes me think that the problem lies in the features of mobile HDD, because SSD or faster HDD (for example, WD Black series) should solve this problem.

(sorry for google translate, i'm not fluent in english)
  • JackE
    Thanks for your thoughts on this issue puzzlejuzzle

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BogdanX904
    I think the problem is in the hard disk. I have Acer Aspire 7 i7 7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti, 8GB RAM and my HDD Wesern Digital Blue 1 terabyte is installed as file storage. I noticed that I have friezes in games (the so-called stuttering) when the action performed, for example, detonation of explosives in Hitman 2 - for the first time the action in the location occurs with a delay of about a second. In Mafia III, the frieze can occur during the first collision with another car after starting the game. In Watch_Dogs 2, I could not play due to the abundant number of friezes at the beginning of the game process in the first 15 minutes of launch, I transferred it to the SSD and this solved the problem. I think the problem with other games is precisely this - HDD mobile class and has the appropriate nuances like a very frequent head parking. However, this problem in the form of friezes does not apply to other games - such as BF1, GTA 5 or Far Cry 5. And some not very demanding indie projects may have a this problem, and some AAA projects are not. It's makes me think that the problem lies in the features of mobile HDD, because SSD or faster HDD (for example, WD Black series) should solve this problem.

(sorry for google translate, i'm not fluent in english)
    Thanks, I thought of that too. I guess I should send it to acer or the retailer so they can replace it with an SSD, without losing the warranty.
    After I will do that I will tell you if it worked or not :)
  • RayRomulo
    RayRomulo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi guys, I have a acer nitro 50 desktop. Same experience while playing dota 2 and starcraft 2. Game froze and also the sound and keep buzzing. I think hard disc is problem because the gameplay slows down. Before this happened maybe 1 month earlier I notice the game lag for a split second and i heard unsual sound probably in the hard disc. Maybe parts installed in these product segment have poor quality.
  • BogdanX904
    Could it be the overheating tho? Some games work fine, including: (Some small indie games, haven't tried all out), My friend Pedro, Minecraft, Gunpoint, Islanders.