Failed BIOS update 1.15 for Aspire S5-371

Might
Might Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I recently ran the latest BIOS update for my Aspire S5-371 from the support page (B3ZMS115.exe) and I haven't been able to boot up the system since. When I switch it on the screen never shows anything but I can hear the fans spin and I can see the keyboard lights. I understand I can update the BIOS without getting into Windows by booting the system in CRISIS mode (powering the laptop up with Fn+ESC keys) but I don't have the FD or bin files for any BIOS update to do that with. Where can I get these files/instructions for the S5-371? I can't seem to find any info on that. Is there anything else I can try? 
Thanks

Best Answer

• Might
    Answer ✓
    Update on this. I was able to resolve the bios issue.
    • I downloaded the oldest version of the bios available (1.03) and ran the executable from another PC
    • extracted the bios files from the %temp% directory
    • got the "isflash.bin" file and renamed it to "B3ZMSx64.fd"
    • copied all the bios files to a Fat32 formatted flash drive
    • booted the dead laptop in CRISIS mode (Fn+ESC)
    It took about 2 minutes for the bios to restore.
    After re-installing everything I successfully updated the bios to 1.15 with no issues.

Hope this helps someone - I was stuck for ages.

Answers

• Might
    I can't get into BIOS - I don't think the laptop is getting through POST. I've tried disconnecting the battery, booting up with a Live USB, plugging in an external monitor - nothing works. I've even tried copying the extracted files from the BIOS executable to USB and booting in CRISIS mode but that hasn't worked. In other forums for other Acer laptops it was necessary to rename some files from the BIOS update to a specific name based on the laptop model - I haven't been able to find any such instructions for the S5-371. Seems I have a rather expensive door stop on my hands  :/
  • Might
    Answer ✓
    • I downloaded the oldest version of the bios available (1.03) and ran the executable from another PC
    After re-installing everything I successfully updated the bios to 1.15 with no issues.

• alexp0
    alexp0 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited April 2020
    Might said:

Hi. How did you find out the correct ".fd" file name coming from the isflash.bin? is there a list based on the computer model?
    Did your laptop had the Insyde BIOS?