BIOS 1.22 update

magnetoeric
magnetoeric Member Posts: 23 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an acer nitro 5 AN515-52-77S9 laptop. The driver page has listed a new BIOS update which says "1. Add ABST support. 2. Update Microcode to 0x96" Can someone please explain what does ABST mean? I assume microcode is something related to intel drivers. Is that right? Also, in case the new BIOS causes some instability, can i revert it back? Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
  • Kno63
    Kno63 ACE Posts: 15,226 Trailblazer
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓
    From a German user the same information: After flashing BIOS 1.22 the keyboard backlight goes out after 30 seconds, even though mains power is used.
    Really a strange idea from Acer, if it was intended. If there doesn't come a patch, I will not flash version 1.22 on my AN515-52!
    Edit: @magnetoeric: Fine, that the change of backlight timeout behaviour doesn't bother you, 'cause when you've flashed a new BIOS you can't go back to an earlier version!
    "There's more to the picture than meets the eye ..."
    Ich bin kein Acer Mitarbeiter!  :-)

Answers

• carzet
    carzet Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same question, same model
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
  • magnetoeric
    Thanks for the link. So this is related to UEFI boot. I'll update it nevertheless since there's a microcode update
  • Pif_Paf
    Pif_Paf Member Posts: 1 New User
    также оно (обновление) появилось и на странице ноутбуков Prredator PH 317-52 (Helios 300) с таким же описанием. После обновления изменился режим работы подсветки клавиатуры. До обновления она не отключалась сама, только через Fn-F9. Сейчас гаснет через 30 сек. бездействия и включается по нажатию любой клавиши. Вопрос к тем кто тоже обновился, у всех стало так?
  • magnetoeric
    You're right. The new update has changed the backlight timeout. It doesn't matter to me, since i use an external keyboard most of the time :#
  • Kno63
    Kno63 ACE Posts: 15,226 Trailblazer
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓
    From a German user the same information: After flashing BIOS 1.22 the keyboard backlight goes out after 30 seconds, even though mains power is used.
    Really a strange idea from Acer, if it was intended. If there doesn't come a patch, I will not flash version 1.22 on my AN515-52!
    Edit: @magnetoeric: Fine, that the change of backlight timeout behaviour doesn't bother you, 'cause when you've flashed a new BIOS you can't go back to an earlier version!
    "There's more to the picture than meets the eye ..."
    Ich bin kein Acer Mitarbeiter!  :-)

• magnetoeric
    Just what i thought. Thanks for answering. And i hope Acer would revert to the default behaviour in the upcoming updates.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited January 2019

Hi all,

We apologize for all the confusion this has created, I want to clarify that the intended behavior of the backlight on all Nitro's 5 and Acer models is to always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke, this is not a bug but a feature (is not new), and it is a power saver (it does save on battery life).

Please refer to the following knowledge article link: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34903 We will provide your feedback to our design/engineering team for future consideration, but at the moment theirs no information that this feature will be changed.

NoteThis thread will be now closed and this marked as the official solution.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause,

Acer-Manny

This discussion has been closed.