How to Underclock my CPU

Themanishsarraf
Themanishsarraf Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have Acer Predator g9-593 (Predator 15)
My CPU base frequency is 2.8 GHz, but since I gave my laptop to my friend, the frequency is now more than 3.4 GHz. When the laptop is plugged out, the frequency goes as low as 0.9 Ghz, but since I always keep my laptop plugged, I am worried. The fan did not use to run fast during normal usage but now I can hear the fan noise even when it is completely idle.

I searched a lot but I cannot find any way to get my clock speed to its base value.
Please Help!
Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Hi,
    Have you tried switching to Balanced plan in Power Options? If not, give it a try.

• fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018
    I have Acer Predator g9-593 (Predator 15)
    My CPU base frequency is 2.8 GHz, but since I gave my laptop to my friend, the frequency is now more than 3.4 GHz. When the laptop is plugged out, the frequency goes as low as 0.9 Ghz, but since I always keep my laptop plugged, I am worried. The fan did not use to run fast during normal usage but now I can hear the fan noise even when it is completely idle.

I searched a lot but I cannot find any way to get my clock speed to its base value.
    Please Help!
    Thanks in advance.
    The g9-593 laptop is using an Intel Core i7 6700HQ CPU. 
    This CPU's base frequency is 2600 Mhz, but it can turbo up to higher. Depending on the used cored you can see the below core frequencies:

3500 MHz (1 core)
    3300 MHz (2 cores)
    3100 MHz (3 or 4 cores)

The laptop has been designed to work without any issues (BSOD, overheating, freezing, etc) even when all 4 cores are 100% used and the core frequency lock on to 3100 Mhz. 

tl;dr: do not worry if you see your core frequency jumping between 2600-3500 Mhz, as I said the frequency depends on the CPU usage and what you see is perfectly normal. 

However if for some reason you want lower performance of your CPU, install Intel Extreme TUning Utility:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

And under the "Advanced Tuning" page you can disable Turbo boost. If you do this the CPU will lock on its base 2600 Mhz value. 

The reason why you probably hear the fan noise is because your fan is probably full of dust and the thermal paste dried out and thus the CPU and GPU is running on higher temps. Instead of reducing your performance I suggest cleaning and repasting your laptop.