Wont turn/power on

Options
cuse165
cuse165 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
HIt's not looking good for my laptop and I know that. I am just looking for information and what it could be as I don't think there is any easy fix. I have taken apart pcs before so I am smart with pcs. The issue the OS was frozen so I pressed and held the power button till it turned off. When the turn it back on and only the keyboard black Light turned on the pc did nothing. Now the pc won't do anything nothing no lights no LEDS no screen power just lifeless. I tried two AC Adapters took battery out and took the RAM out still lifeless wont power on.Any thoughts?  

Best Answer

• cuse165
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's the motherboard got a technician to look at it. Thank you everyone for the help. In my opinion Acer is the worst brand of pcs I ever had. This one last a little over a year.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options
    ACER model and number? Meanwhile, remove the charger plug and battery again. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. Check in the RAM module compartment for BIOS clear jumper pins or solder bumps. Short those with a screwdrivr for about 10 seconds if you find them. Then plug the battery and charger back in. Cross your fingers.  Then turn it back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the exact model of notebook? 
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • cuse165
    Options
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Have you tried the procedures in my earlier post yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cuse165
    Options
    I am a student in IT I took the pc apart everything looked normal. I never have heard about your idea. Can you go over it again?

Thanks
  • JackE
    Options
    (1) Remove the charger and battery again. (2) Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. (3) Check inside the RAM module compartment for anything that looks like BIOS clear jumper pins or solder bumps.  Short those with a screwdriver for about 10 seconds if you find them. (4) Then plug the battery and charger back in. (5)  Cross your fingers.  (6) Then turn it back on.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    This model has internal battery! Try this: Unplug the notebook from the electrical power and press the battery reset hole for five seconds and then leave the notebook off for five minutes!

Then check out the tip of @JackE!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • cuse165
    Options
    That would simulate un-plugging the battery right? 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Yes! It's like you're disconnecting an external battery!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cuse165
    Options
    I am going to take the CMOS battery out tomorrow. I think the motherboard is done. 
  • JackE
    Options
    After removing the CMOS coin battery, short the terminals on the mainboard for about 10secs to drain any remaining charges on the BIOS hardware. Then replace the battery. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cuse165
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's the motherboard got a technician to look at it. Thank you everyone for the help. In my opinion Acer is the worst brand of pcs I ever had. This one last a little over a year.
  • cuse165
    Options
    I got to ask this if I wanted Acer to fix it. With shipping Parts and labor we are most likely looking at $200.00 and up just a guess. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry. At this point you have nothing to lose by trying a solder reflow. Preheat a toaster over to about 425*F. Put aluminum foil on the rack. Set the mainboard on the foil. And bake it for about 15 mins.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cuse165
    Options
    Would a POST card help or muitmeter 
  • JackE
    Options
    Your technician should've used at least a multimeter to give you the mainboard diagnosis. The "POST card" or power on self test is not a card but part of chip circuitry called the BIOS that's soldered to the mainboard. Really can't be replaced but, like many other soldered mainboard circuits, can be solder reflowed if a solder joint has cracked or loosened.  That why I suggested baking the mainboard to try to reflow all the solder connections. If you feel uneasy doing it, your technician should certainly be familiar with the technique. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cuse165
    Options
    No technician looked at it just over phone. But I took the laptop apart took out the CMOS battery for some time took the RAM and SSD out put it all together did some power things. I set everything up again still was lifeless but this time when I pressed the power button the fan kicked on then stopped the black light on the keyboard stayed on.  The blue LED up in front turned and stayed on and there is power going to the USB ports. The issue the screen is black and to turn it of you have to hold the power button down but then the blue LED light turns off and looks powerless. When it's on it hard to tell if it's doing anything as SSD don't make much noise the fan never spins. 
  • JackE
    Options
    If you press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds, that will shut the machine completely off and all the lights will go off. Then if you press the power button again for an moment, that will turn the machine and lights back on. If it's truly a black screen issue when it's turned on like this, you might be able to see faint screen images by using a flashlight. If you think you see something, you might want to try HDMI out to a TV set to see if there really is a screen. You might also have to use the toggle screen key combos FN+F5 or FN+F6 to turn the screens on and off. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ