[SETTINGS TO REDUCE TEMPERATURES] Some settings to lower temperatures and increase performance

sri369
sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
edited October 2023 in Predator Laptops
My laptop:
G3-572
CPU: i7 - 7700 HQ
GPU: 1060 6GB

Don't put power plan to max, it only sets processor on max at all times, and this only increases heat. Many might argue, but in my custom plan, I even have cpu cores parked at all times, and it still gives me nice performance even when playing intensive games. I processor min is 0, and my EPP is 128.

See my CPU usage at low-little more than low loads.

Power Plan Settings (install Park Control software to enable all options shown below)

Park Control Settings

Throttlestop

MSI Afterburner curve

.... and the results ....

Karma...
LIKE - if helpful
ACCEPT - if helped resolve
---------
Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Best Answers

• sri369
    Answer ✓
    VERY IMPORTANT

When doing undervolting, do not turn on "start with windows" option. Set the values, apply, and then test using ThrottleStop tests for CPU and benchmarking tools for GPU for atleast 5-15 minutes. Only if the system endures that without failing, you can be sure that values selected work and apply them at system startup.

MSI Afterburner: GPU: Windows 10 seems to need a little more voltage for GPU compared to Windows 7. So my MSI would have it at 925 since I am on Windows 7. For people on Windows 10, 975 would be a safe bet to flat out the curve.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    I do have a new profile.
    Testing your setup and not messing any of the extra features of the 8750H (extra registries in power menu) I also found a very slight delay when opening a program/game but very neglidgable.

Score of cinebench before your settings:
    Score after:

Very impressive optimization brother! Barely any drop in cinebench is very cool indeed.

Also I've noticed that this "Park Control" software merely adds the registries to the power menu and uses it's GUI as a visual way to change it.
    You can alter the profile as you like then save the power plan (I named mine Parked Performance) and you don't need to run "Park Control" to have the same effect(s).
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Answer ✓
    Here's what I'm using now.
    Used the included Bitsum profile since it started high performance.

- Hotel Hero

Answers

• MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Good job you did there!
    Do you think this power plan settings will fit i7-8750H? Or they should be different from 7700HQ
  • Red-Sand
    edited September 2018
    MrGrudev said:
    Good job you did there!
    Do you think this power plan settings will fit i7-8750H? Or they should be different from 7700HQ

The i7-8750H has extra features added to the power menu and even running this software it did not effect my parked CPU speeds but it did however park cores completely.

Reduced my cores active when idle to 2 @ 2.2ghz (actual 4.1ghz)

It seems rather useful and I would be interested to learn how you came up with these values.
    I like to understand what a program does before I go into utilizing it all the time. 😀
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    MrGrudev said:
    Good job you did there!
    Technically, it should fit any processor since the settings are generic and not core specific. Only exception could be the undervolting of CPU cos that's CPU and laptop specific.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369
    Red-Sand said:
    MrGrudev said:
    Good job you did there!

The i7-8750H has extra features added to the power menu and even running this software it did not effect my parked CPU speeds but it did however park cores completely.

Reduced my cores active when idle to 2 @ 2.2ghz (actual 4.1ghz)

It seems rather useful and I would be interested to learn how you came up with these values.
    I like to understand what a program does before I go into utilizing it all the time. 😀
    It would not effect parked core speeds; parked cores are pretty much put aside - parked like a car - won't be working. This allows those cores to be in a state where its like sedated - on, but not working, thus reducing heat generated, but always ready at a split second notice.
    The other settings are what decide what state the CPU can go into - light sleep, deep sleep, etc and at what processor utilization levels it moves between levels.
    I experimented with the values - at times i found lag, at times i found it super responsive - more than what i actually need - even with epp at 128.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Thanks, I am going to read a little of its functions and when I understand what they do I may try it..
  • So in combination with parking cores, speed shift epp resulted in a "lagged performance" at times?
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Red-Sand said:
    So in combination with parking cores, speed shift epp resulted in a "lagged performance" at times?
    Nothing like this, atleast based on what I saw. Performance is pretty much the same with no noticeable lag. Only place I noticed a little lag is when I suddenly start an intensive process... in this case there is a slightly noticeable lag after click to when the program opens. But once open, there is no more lag.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369
    Answer ✓
    VERY IMPORTANT

When doing undervolting, do not turn on "start with windows" option. Set the values, apply, and then test using ThrottleStop tests for CPU and benchmarking tools for GPU for atleast 5-15 minutes. Only if the system endures that without failing, you can be sure that values selected work and apply them at system startup.

MSI Afterburner: GPU: Windows 10 seems to need a little more voltage for GPU compared to Windows 7. So my MSI would have it at 925 since I am on Windows 7. For people on Windows 10, 975 would be a safe bet to flat out the curve.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    So in combination with parking cores, speed shift epp resulted in a "lagged performance" at times?
    Nothing like this, atleast based on what I saw. Performance is pretty much the same with no noticeable lag. Only place I noticed a little lag is when I suddenly start an intensive process... in this case there is a slightly noticeable lag after click to when the program opens. But once open, there is no more lag.

Slight being how long exactly?
    If you can manually park cores and only receive a 1 second "lag" when opening a program I'd say that was a good trade off!
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369 said:
    VERY IMPORTANT

The reason for needing more voltage on Windows 10 opposed to Windows 7 is most likely due to the fact that Windows 7 doesn't have DirectX 12.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Maybe like a couple seconds.. a few examples:
    Browsers: not noticeable
    VMWare: not noticeable
    Steam: less than 1 second
    UPlay: not noticeable
    Steam games - small ones: barely any
    Steam games - larger ones - e.g., RUST: barely any
    Steam games - very intensive ones - e.g., Ghost Recon Wildlands - about 2-3 seconds
    This lag is only for starting the game and such, one started I did not notice any more lag.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369 said:
    Steam games - very intensive ones - e.g., Ghost Recon Wildlands - about 2-3 seconds
    This lag is only for starting the game and such, one started I did not notice any more lag.

Very cool!
    I'm gonna download this software and test (longer than I tested before) on my i7-8750H and share the results.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Red-Sand said:
    sri369 said:

Very cool!
    I'm gonna download this software and test (longer than I tested before) on my i7-8750H and share the results.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    If you want system to be more responsive, you can play with upping and downing thresholds... these would make the system less responsive or more responsive based on your needs.
    The values I put in are intermediate to help keep system temps down. Earlier I had to use multiple aids to keep system temps in the 70s while playing. Now the same game, without any aids, barely even touches 70-75 levels. And GPU... poor thing, it stays under 70.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • What if you set frequency scaling to 5%? Wouldn't that allow a minimum frequency to be running and maybe reduce that small lag your getting?
    It technically should allow CPUs to be parked even if frequency scaling is enabled.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Ok.. So at first my cores would not park at all so I switched power plans and my High Performance profile vanished lol

- Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    What if you set frequency scaling to 5%? Wouldn't that allow a minimum frequency to be running and maybe reduce that small lag your getting?
    It technically should allow CPUs to be parked even if frequency scaling is enabled.
    All your CPUs will be parked as needed, if they can, irrespective of what you select - just make sure to select minimum processor state to 0%.

I shall try setting this to 5% on AC and see if it helps reduce the startup lag.

Edit: 3% was enough for me :-) Steam and Uplay launched almost instantly.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    What if you set frequency scaling to 5%? Wouldn't that allow a minimum frequency to be running and maybe reduce that small lag your getting?
    All your CPUs will be parked as needed, if they can, irrespective of what you select - just make sure to select minimum processor state to 0%.

I shall try setting this to 5% on AC and see if it helps reduce the startup lag.

Currently at 0-1% CPU utilization and all cores are remaining active and cycling.
    There are additional power menu settings for the i7-8750H. 
    I'll try tweaking those.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    @Red-Sand
    I would suggest creating a new power plan and tweaking that, since you would be literally touching every parameter.

CPU cores utilization when parking at 3% (game running):

Same as above, but frequency scaling set to 0% now.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    Answer ✓
    I do have a new profile.
    Testing your setup and not messing any of the extra features of the 8750H (extra registries in power menu) I also found a very slight delay when opening a program/game but very neglidgable.

Score of cinebench before your settings:
    Score after:

Very impressive optimization brother! Barely any drop in cinebench is very cool indeed.

Also I've noticed that this "Park Control" software merely adds the registries to the power menu and uses it's GUI as a visual way to change it.
    You can alter the profile as you like then save the power plan (I named mine Parked Performance) and you don't need to run "Park Control" to have the same effect(s).
    - Hotel Hero
  • I have a concern though as before when I had tested this (few days back) I did notice that all my cores would park/sleep except for 2 threads (1 core) but now it seems all my threads stay active and fluctuate slightly. Very odd indeed.
    - Hotel Hero
This discussion has been closed.