CB5-132T-C32M) Chromebook R11 - Tablet/Pad mode keyboard issues

JJB009
JJB009 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I purchansed the Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T-C32M) and it has been great so far. However, I noticed two days ago that when I put it into tablet or pad mode the keyboard is no longer switching off - which causes all kinds of issues.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know of a fix?

It talkes a lot of the fun (and convertability) out of this Chromebook.

Best Answer

• Lanner_Falcon
    Lanner_Falcon Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi @FrannyFruit

Since you are the latest one to post about having this issue, let me address you. 

Check if you have disabled this option:
    1. Sign-in to your Chromebook.
    2. Click the status area, where your account picture appears, or press Alt + Shift + s.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Show advanced settings.
    5. In the "Accessibility" section, check or uncheck the box to turn on or off any of these options:
    • Show accessibility options in the system menu: Adds the Accessibility menu item to your status area.
    • Turn off Enable on-screen keyboard: Disable this option if its turned on.
    Please do inform us, if this didn't resolve the issue so that we can look for alternatives. 

Note: An user in Google Forums who faced the same issue, informed that "A Complete re-image with the Recovery tool" RESOLVED the issue. It's worth a try after checking other troubleshooting steps. 

Please find below the Acer link which details the Recovery process. 
    Link: 
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27637

Answers

• tbmcdermott1
    tbmcdermott1 Member Posts: 1 New User

Mine also has recently started to do this. I have done a Powerwash and it still does not solve the problem. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it. I've done searches all over and can't find anything on it.

• FrannyFruit
    FrannyFruit Member Posts: 1 New User
    I having this same issue! can anyone help??
  • Lanner_Falcon
    Lanner_Falcon Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi @FrannyFruit

Since you are the latest one to post about having this issue, let me address you. 

Check if you have disabled this option:
    1. Sign-in to your Chromebook.
    2. Click the status area, where your account picture appears, or press Alt + Shift + s.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Show advanced settings.
    5. In the "Accessibility" section, check or uncheck the box to turn on or off any of these options:
    • Show accessibility options in the system menu: Adds the Accessibility menu item to your status area.
    • Turn off Enable on-screen keyboard: Disable this option if its turned on.
    Please do inform us, if this didn't resolve the issue so that we can look for alternatives. 

Note: An user in Google Forums who faced the same issue, informed that "A Complete re-image with the Recovery tool" RESOLVED the issue. It's worth a try after checking other troubleshooting steps. 

Please find below the Acer link which details the Recovery process. 
    Link: 
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27637
  • amberlombardo
    amberlombardo Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same issue. When I enabled on-screen keyboard as you describe, now the on-screen keyboard appears every time, even if I'm in laptop mode. I've spent a lot of time setting up my chromebook and would love to avoid a reset. On other message boards I saw to press the refresh button along with the power button. That didn't work for me.  

Thanks for your help!

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

Hi all,

I am sorry to hear you’re having issues with the rotating feature in your Chromebooks devices. It looks like Google is aware and working on it, here is some links to the Bug reports:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=884096&desc=2#maincol

In some cases it looks like is being reported after the latest O.S. update (68) and in other instances it can be cause by a (Logitec) or any wireless mouse or device connected to the unit, Google should be releasing and update fix soon, in the mean time we can recommend to either disconnect any wireless device connected to your Chromebook and restart the unit or perform a "Powerwash and Revert":

If you have received the update to 68 and are experiencing no issues, you are good to go. If you are having connectivity issues or any other problems for the matter, you can attempt to roll back your device manually. Below you will find the steps but keep in mind that this will powerwash your Chromebook so make sure you back up and data you don’t want to lose!

1.   Reboot your device

2.   While rebooting, press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R

3.   When the Powerwash screen pops up, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R again and you should see a new screen that says “Powerwash and Revert.”

4.   Click the Powerwash button to begin the rollback.

If successful, your device should roll back to Chrome OS 67.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • rpreyes602
    rpreyes602 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I had the same issue, if you are using a wireless mouse unplug the usb.  I did that and it fixed my issue.  I hope this helps and they fix this issue in an update.
  • Pssst3
    Pssst3 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I have the same problem.  It's not just usb-connected wireless mice, its any perperals that use USB or Bluetooth.

This is an known issue caused by bad code common to Bluetooth and USB. Google is working on it.
    Until there's a fix, there's a reliable work around, although it's a PITA.

Each time you want to use tablet mode, disable Bluetooth, unplug all USB devices, reboot your Chromebook (power cycle). Sign in. You can use a capacitive stylus. 
  • Erinf923
    Erinf923 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I have a Acer Chromebook R 13 and it won't turn on how do I fix this ? Note: I haven't had it long :'( 
     Thanks to anyone with and info :) 
  • ThePeaceDude
    ThePeaceDude Member Posts: 1 New User
    When I turn on the keyboard it works fine for me but the built in keyboard keeps being able to type which is an issue. I have tried shutting it down and restarting many times as well as turning the keyboard settings on and off in all sorts of ways. I have only had my laptop for 4 days
  • zenon5940
    zenon5940 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had same issue with Acer Chromebook R11 not going into tablet mode and screen not rotating... Sure enough, even though I have the latest update installed, it was my HP wireless mouse causing it... Thank you for the help I found here.
  • Xxbacon_unicornxX
    Xxbacon_unicornxX Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've tried everything. I've had mine for a little over a year now. It's an Acer Chromebook R11 and this is the first time it's given me any problems. Please help.
  • BSSS
    BSSS Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I have the same issue with R11 and tried what ever was possible, except power wash as I read that several attempts doesn't work, none of the suggested solutions works! As it was working perfectly before Version 81.0.4044.94 (Officiel version) (64-bit) then it must be related to the update. I'm not so happy that Google/Acer doesn't fix this problem. Visiting links on Chromebook problems doesn't come up with a workable solution. I have no bluetooth mouse / keyboard or anything connected only SD card. 
  • BSSS

Tinkerer

On April 19. I posted a report regarding the lack of the tablet/auto rotate function, not working. Now a new update arrived Version 81.0.4044.127 (Officiel version) (64-bit) but this problem is still fixed... When will it be fixed?

• pkw
    pkw Member Posts: 69 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Google is aware of the issue and has recently re-opened a bug report. Please star it if you are affected: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1042541
    The problem occurs for me in beta 83.
  • BSSS

Tinkerer

Now a new update from google (Version 81.0.4044.141 (Officiel version) (64-bit)) and it's still not fixed. To bad!!
  • BSSS

Tinkerer

When does Google expect to fix this problem, it has persist since february, I think? Even with the last update Version 83.0.4103.77 64 bit it's still not fixed. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Have you asked on Google's support forum? If they don't get enough questions there they'll have it as a low priority...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BSSS

Tinkerer

I've posted the issue on "Chromebook Community"
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Let us know how they respond.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BSSS

Tinkerer

Latest update installed, no changes and still doesn't work :-(