Acer Swift SF314-52 - Leave Backlight on all the time

C0BALT
C0BALT Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 2019 in Swift and Spin Series
Is it possible to have the Swift SF314-52 have the keyboard backlight on all the time. I don't want it to go out. What's the point of having a keyboard backlight if it's out when you need to find the first key?

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    C0BALT
    Currently there is no option  to keep the keyboard backlight always On. You can press FN+F9 to turn the keyboard backlight on and off. The default settings for keyboard backlight on battery power is set to OFF. The keyboard will always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke on battery power. The keyboard backlight settings will return to default after resuming from sleep or shutdown.
    The timer is fixed at 30 seconds to turn Off is to save power while on battery power.  It's a power saving feature, continuous use of Keyboard backlight will drain the battery and will reduce the usage time.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    Hello,
    It's not possible: "The keyboard will always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke."
    France
  • wolfy
    wolfy Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Acer should make a program for it , so thoose that want it turned on can have it mine goes off after about 15 seconds , and it is a pain i would like it on
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    C0BALT
    Currently there is no option  to keep the keyboard backlight always On. You can press FN+F9 to turn the keyboard backlight on and off. The default settings for keyboard backlight on battery power is set to OFF. The keyboard will always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke on battery power. The keyboard backlight settings will return to default after resuming from sleep or shutdown.
    The timer is fixed at 30 seconds to turn Off is to save power while on battery power.  It's a power saving feature, continuous use of Keyboard backlight will drain the battery and will reduce the usage time.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • danieltan23
    danieltan23 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    I prefer to leave it off as default to conserve battery rather than keep having to turn it off. any advice?
  • Bytemare
    Bytemare Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Sharanji said:
     It's a power saving feature, continuous use of Keyboard backlight will drain the battery and will reduce the usage time.

Yes ofcourse. But give us consumers the option to choose that. How much battery I want to save, should be up to me...none other. What battery-saving options, sceen bightness and other running apps in the background is something I manage on my own. Look at macbook's, other ultrabooks, most of them can manage their own backlit keyboard settings. But not on my acer swift 1. 

I do like this laptop, but fiddling in the dark to hit the right button when the light turns off is a pretty huge deal breaker for me.
  • wh0dunnit
    wh0dunnit Member Posts: 2 New User
    I've recently purchased a swift 5 and am now obligated to post here. It's pretty disappointing to see that this feature is seemingly absent across all of Acer's laptops despite being requested for years.
  • HobbitBluelabel
    HobbitBluelabel Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2019
    I have the same problem. It would really help if the backlight would stay on as long as i use the trackpad. On an Acer Chromebook this is the case and is really comfortable.
    So why do you not change this in the swift 3 version too?
  • MikeNZ
    MikeNZ Member Posts: 1 New User
    The more I use my Nitro NP515-51 the more annoying this feature becomes. I do a lot of work at night and don't want to disturb other family who are sleeping by having the lights on. When I bought the laptop I thought this was a great feature that the keyboard lit up, not knowing that it turns off after 30 seconds. Now I wish I had bought another brand. The option to set backlight permanently on  needs fixing Acer.

• Jinx01
    Jinx01 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2019
    This is irritating as hell. I'm a DJ and it's often dark in the booth. I got this partly because of the backlit keyboard. I need to be able to find the home keys in the dark.
    What is the point of a "power saving feature" being on WHEN THE LAPTOP IS PLUGGED IN?!
  • C0BALT
    C0BALT Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

The answer which is claimed to be an answer is not an answer.

On my laptop even when it is plugged into AC Power the keyboard backlight ALWAYS turns off after 30 seconds.
    How can I make it so that my laptop keyboard when it's using AC and BATTERY power NEVER EVER EVER turn off?

ACER, there is something wrong with your drivers or software.
    Please fix this.
  • Bytemare
    Bytemare Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    C0BALT said:
    The answer which is claimed to be an answer is not an answer.

On my laptop even when it is plugged into AC Power the keyboard backlight ALWAYS turns off after 30 seconds.
    How can I make it so that my laptop keyboard when it's using AC and BATTERY power NEVER EVER EVER turn off?

ACER, there is something wrong with your drivers or software.
    Please fix this.
    Yes exactly! 

I use med Acer Swift 1 90% with AC power plugged in. It doesn't matter if the backlit was on 100% when on AC power! Power saving feature?

ACER, please take this request into the devs and make it happen for all the models that this "auto turn off 30sec"

I really love this computer, but acer please make it even greater! :) 
  • Robstout
    Robstout Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hello all,

I'm experiencing the same inconvenience on my otherwise awesome brand new Swift 3 laptop. I'd like to see an option as well to choose between a time out or always on for the keyboard backlight. Please provide it. Many thanks.

Rob Stoutjesdijk
  • mobser
    mobser Member Posts: 1 New User
    still no solution? I too would like to keep my keyboard light on at all times until i choose when to shut it off
  • wolfy
    wolfy Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

They will never fix this they dont really care what we think , this is a older problem i brought my swift 3 last year and have seen many post about this and another prom that the num pad does not come on with startup have to press the numlock button every time

• SighRH
    SighRH Member Posts: 2 New User
    Wow, I just received my new Acer laptop and I might return it solely due to this issue.  I need the light on the keyboard due to low vision.  Why can't we have control over it?
    I saw a note about there being a change in the Bios that can turn it on or off permanently, I'm going to see if that might work, otherwise, I"m returning a thousand dollar computer because of this.
  • lifi
    lifi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Credits to https://youtu.be/Wc7yMIRgP98

You simply go to BIOS and in the Main section Disable backlit timeout :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,444 Trailblazer
    @lifi you are camping out on a thread that is a year old, with info that only affects a very few models. Are you sure the video is addressing a SF314-52 model? It looks like one of the Nitro laptops.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.