Acer nitro 5 overheating with in 2 months usage where as my 3 yr old HP unit still works

AhmadZainideen
AhmadZainideen Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Nitro Gaming
why in hell is my "gaming" acer nitro 5 overheating when its still new, bought it 1 month and 2 weeks ago ... my old hp laptop never used to overheat and was 3 years old .. and don't recommend quick access coolboost because it doesn't even work , does anyone know how to increase laptop's fan speed manually since I tried msi afterburner and it didn't work, and since I regret the day I bought an acer thing .. don't recommend acer apps as they literally are all useless. BTW I forgot to mention I also have 3 extention cooling fans under my laptop. Still overheating as [Content Removed]

[Edited the thread to add issue detail and to hide sensitive information]

Best Answer

• tonykakkar
    tonykakkar Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    I would recommend Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste. The thermal paste is easy to apply and it will fix your overheating issue. It fixed mine so hopefully, it will work for you too. 

Answers

• tonykakkar
    tonykakkar Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    I would recommend Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste. The thermal paste is easy to apply and it will fix your overheating issue. It fixed mine so hopefully, it will work for you too. 
  • AhmadZainideen
    AhmadZainideen Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

***** I actually didn't expect such a good answer, was expecting 'try cleaning it from dust' and stuff lol, thanks.
  • Spallie
    Spallie Member Posts: 1 New User
    How i can put thermal paste in laptop??
  • mehradzf
    mehradzf Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    why in hell is my "gaming" acer nitro 5 overheating when its still new, bought it 1 month and 2 weeks ago ... my old hp laptop never used to overheat and was 3 years old .. and don't recommend quick access coolboost because it doesn't even work , does anyone know how to increase laptop's fan speed manually since I tried msi afterburner and it didn't work, and since I regret the day I bought an acer thing .. don't recommend acer apps as they literally are all useless. BTW I forgot to mention I also have 3 extention cooling fans under my laptop. Still overheating as *****
    bruv relax. i have the nitro 5 and the fan placements are cancer. go watch dave lee's video on the nitro 5 and u will understand why it overheats
  • GOKUL1990
    GOKUL1990 Member Posts: 1 New User
    mY ACER NITRO 5 OVERHEATS PLAYING GAMES WHILE CHARGING THE LAPTOP.IT DOESNT OVERHEAT WHEN THE LAPTOP CHARGING IS NOT ON.
    Please help for any settings so that it heats less playing games while charging
  • Jimster480
    Jimster480 Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Which version do you have and when is the overheating occuring specifically?
  • twopoint71
    twopoint71 Member Posts: 3 New User
    tonykakar has the right idea with the thermal paste, sometimes, paste jobs are, uncommonly, ***** from the factory from every single laptop maker without exception.  A re-paste will do you good.

GajaN5 is also right, but slightly off in the explanation.  By reducing the maximum processor load, turbo boost is disabled, and that's where all the heat comes from, but you can still keep the processor at 100% without turbo boost using a registry hack as explained here https://www.geeks3d.com/20170213/how-to-disable-intel-turbo-boost-technology-on-a-notebook/#_24

Yes, there is a performance reduction, but you won't notice unless you are doing really CPU heavy tasks like hours of video / audio encoding, compression, or calculations for the genome project, so basically, you won't notice, and the laptop will run a lot cooler.

hth,
    Bob

• You could try undervolting the CPU.

No removal of turbo boost required.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Barkingbiker
    Barkingbiker Member Posts: 1 New User
    I bought a Nitro 5 as a cheap laptop for 3D cad modelling and was disappointed with the high temperature of the CPU (85 to 95). It would only be a matter of time before it went pop.
    Having messed around a bit, I've found that dropping the CPU performance to 98 percent and setting the Nitro Sense app to 'Balanced' power settings, it'll run at a steady 45-50 deg. C, and doesn't seem to affect the performance particularly.
  • Jimster480
    I bought a Nitro 5 as a cheap laptop for 3D cad modelling and was disappointed with the high temperature of the CPU (85 to 95). It would only be a matter of time before it went pop.
    Having messed around a bit, I've found that dropping the CPU performance to 98 percent and setting the Nitro Sense app to 'Balanced' power settings, it'll run at a steady 45-50 deg. C, and doesn't seem to affect the performance particularly.

What Nitro5 do you have?
  • Lamesheep
    Lamesheep Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited November 2018
    Its problem in Hard disk ! 
    I too had same problems,
    I had nitro 5 with ryzen 5 cpu and RX560X gpu 
    my laptop takes 5 to 10 mins to start.
    And installing repack games take 4 to 8 hrs !! Lol!!
    I feel heating in right tie! It means under hard disk!
    Its because i received the product with poor health hard disk. 
    I replaced my hard disk with new HD and SSD. And reboot my OS.
    I know its kind cost more! But its the only solution to solve the problem permanently.
    Dont waste your time in youtube videos  like ' How to increase gaming perfomance in acer nitro 5' and ' How to install Nitro sense in acer nitro 5' .

https://youtu.be/NrMEb8yL8H0

https://youtu.be/hNhGc-bpnM4

Its may helps bit ! More youtube post videos , only if they had a same problems ,  May be they had a solutions ! But its not permanent.

Replace your hard disk.

Thanks

• JMTHEFOX
    JMTHEFOX Member Posts: 4 New User
    Lamesheep said:
    Its problem in Hard disk ! 
    I too had same problems,
    I had nitro 5 with ryzen 5 cpu and RX560X gpu 
    my laptop takes 5 to 10 mins to start.
    And installing repack games take 4 to 8 hrs !! Lol!!
    I feel heating in right tie! It means under hard disk!
    Its because i received the product with poor health hard disk. 
    I replaced my hard disk with new HD and SSD. And reboot my OS.
    I know its kind cost more! But its the only solution to solve the problem permanently.
    Dont waste your time in youtube videos  like ' How to increase gaming perfomance in acer nitro 5' and ' How to install Nitro sense in acer nitro 5' .

https://youtu.be/NrMEb8yL8H0

https://youtu.be/hNhGc-bpnM4

Its may helps bit ! More youtube post videos , only if they had a same problems ,  May be they had a solutions ! But its not permanent.

Replace your hard disk.

Thanks

That is really interesting information! I always thought that the overheating was caused by the fans which I have read online. I own the AN515-53-55G9 model and I was wondering if this solution can work with it.
  • arshiyanine
    arshiyanine Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2018
    I think Acer should figure out a cooling solution for this, new nitro 5 versions are using latest 8th gen i7CPU models alongside with GTX1060, I think this problem can be solved if they use the same cooling solution that they've used in Helios 300 (using latest AuroBlade 3D fans)
    but these are some solutions that you can do manually:

• Try undervolting your CPU (But this may reduce your CPU Lifespan)
    • Using thermal paste (Just don't do this on your own, find someone who is highly skilled at repairing laptops and thermal pasting. so you will not face any problem regarding to opening and pasting it).

• Limit your CPU usage (not recommended)
    • Using cool pad (highly recommended), there are some cool pads out there that can reduce your temperature up to 15Degrees

I'm using the ~2016-2017 version of nitro 5 (AN515-51) and I didn't have any thermal issues while using it (because my unit is using 1050Ti), and under heavy load when I turn on the VSync and using coolpad at the same time I will keep my temperatures under 80. Just try to keep it under 80 and you're good to go.
    hope this helps you.

I think the company like Acer that claims to cares about cooling solutions should figure out some better ways to cool its laptops. (just saying)
  • Josip2902
    Josip2902 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Guys I have some cpu probs in my Nitro 5. It's i5 7300HQ paired with 1050Ti version. My problems are too big CPU usage in games. My CPU sits always(in fortnite) on about 95-99% of Usage, while the GPU is on 70-100%. Temps're about 80C on CPU and 70 on GPU. When CPU hits 100% usage I get noticeable in-game stutters. I flashed latest bios but it didn't helped a lot .
  • Jimster480
    Josip2902 said:
    Guys I have some cpu probs in my Nitro 5. It's i5 7300HQ paired with 1050Ti version. My problems are too big CPU usage in games. My CPU sits always(in fortnite) on about 95-99% of Usage, while the GPU is on 70-100%. Temps're about 80C on CPU and 70 on GPU. When CPU hits 100% usage I get noticeable in-game stutters. I flashed latest bios but it didn't helped a lot .

Can you turn the fans up?
    On my Nitro 5 with ryzen.... it never overheats and the fans never hit max speed even under heavy load during gaming.
  • Speedster_ELuu39
    Speedster_ELuu39 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I have the i5-8300h with the GTX 1050. I've been getting temps of 180-215 degree Fahrenheit even during normal use. I placed it in the freezer (set at 32 degrees F) for 10 minutes last week and I'm now getting 100-140 degrees on normal use. I would also note that my Nitro 5 would suddenly spike in temps and the fans would kick in at max speed before I put it in the freezer. Now I'm getting consistent temps.
  • Comrade_Brad
    Comrade_Brad Member Posts: 46 Devotee WiFi Icon
    GajaN5 said:
    @GOKUL1990 @mehradzf @AhmadZainideen @tonykakkar
    Hi,
    I have a simple solution for the over heating problem.
    The laptop overheating because of the cooling design it's mainly targeting the GPU not the CPU, So you have to do is lower the CPU performance by 20-40%
    according to the temp that you maintain. basically you need the temp around 70 below. So follow the instructions below to lower the temp.
    1. Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings -> advanced settings 
    2. the select processor power management -> maximum processor state -> plugged in -> change 100 to 80-60.

If this method works put a like and if you have any doubt on this tag me and then reply 
    Is this what they call undervolting? And just for the record, will this affect the life expectancy of my processor in any way?
  • ARA3601
    ARA3601 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

@AhmadZainideen are you still having heating problem? Does heating affected you laptop's life, btw which model do you have. I'm planning buy acer nitro 5
  • ash997
    ash997 Member Posts: 2 New User
    GajaN5 said:
    @GOKUL1990 @mehradzf @AhmadZainideen @tonykakkar
    Hi,
    I have a simple solution for the over heating problem.
    The laptop overheating because of the cooling design it's mainly targeting the GPU not the CPU, So you have to do is lower the CPU performance by 20-40%
    according to the temp that you maintain. basically you need the temp around 70 below. So follow the instructions below to lower the temp.
    1. Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings -> advanced settings 
    2. the select processor power management -> maximum processor state -> plugged in -> change 100 to 80-60.

If this method works put a like and if you have any doubt on this tag me and then reply 
    Is this what they call undervolting? And just for the record, will this affect the life expectancy of my processor in any way?
    No its basically switching off turbo boost which is the primary reason for the processor hitting such high temps. If u r using it for games that are not that processor intensive but rather gpu intensive you can switch off turbo boost and it should run fine.
This discussion has been closed.