Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Notebook with external 144hz monitor

luigiiscrubeluigiiscrube Posts: 4Member New User
Hello guys,
2 days ago i bought a Viewsonic XG2402 (144hz monitor) and I connect it through the HDMI to my laptop Helios 300 PH315-51-74RH. But there is a problem, CPU is overheating. I am enclosing screenshot of the temperatures when I was playing Fortnite at 120Hz on medium settings https://prnt.sc/kbdq04 . The temperatures before I bought this monitor were around 87 degrees CPU and 82 GPU on High settings in Fortnite. Also, when i am on the desktop or I am on facebook the CPU degrees kinda jumping from 55 degrees to 70 or even 75 degrees. I know the temperatures are kinda influenced by that 120Hz, but i dont know, if it is ok. So could you tell me guys if it is normal or not? ty for answers .

FAQ & Answers

• Red-SandRed-Sand Posts: 1,763ACE Pathfinder
    It's normal for the increase in temperatures because now your system is operating two screens at once = for CPU power/processing required.
    Also now that your utilizing increased framerates in order to maintain the 120fps required for 120hz to be used, you have doubled the frames rendered.

You can disable the laptops screen to help a little but overall your doubling the work load (kind of) so the increased temps are to be expected.
    - Hotel Hero
  • CsipparCsippar Posts: 12Member

Tinkerer

I have same "issue". How can I disable the laptop screen?
  • SkreeSkree Posts: 97Member Fixer
    Csippar said:
    I have same "issue". How can I disable the laptop screen?
    Windows key + P. Then select the option to disable the laptop monitor :)
  • JackEJackE Posts: 17,071ACE Trailblazer
    You can also use the FN+F6 or FN+F5 toggle key combos to turn either or both screens on and off. Any CPU/GPU temps below about 95°C is normal under high load.Jack E/NJ

• Red-SandRed-Sand Posts: 1,763ACE Pathfinder
    JackE said:
    You can also use the FN+F6 or FN+F5 toggle key combos to turn either or both screens on and off. Any CPU/GPU temps below about 95°C is normal under high load.Jack E/NJ

GPU on Helios 300 throttles at 85 C. 
    - Hotel Hero