PH315-51 showing black screen after one hour of web surfing

Answers

• Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    I wonder if it's even compatible with 317-52 :/ Thank you though @badaltharayil ! I may at least have a nice chance of fixing my girlfriend's unit.

Also - It's not like people in the service centers are writing BIOS code...so why don't they update their support page to have these files on there for us + announcement if any of them were made specifically to solve this current, severe issue?...

We have some BIOS updates but all of them with windows...what if someone has their windows updates disabled?...-_- 

I agree with Marathi: We didn't buy this laptop to be test rats, troubleshoot and update BIOS every other day...

I would appreciate if an Acer representative ( @Acer-Manny ? perhaps?...) would be decent enough to have a conversation with us on here... :)

But I guess it's just a dream...I guess ~50 peope having bought brand new units somewhere in the vicinity of $75.000-$100.000 is just not worth their time :)
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Hi.
    So I let windows update run for my system and it flashed me a new BIOS: Insyde Corp. V1.12, 6/6/2018
    Same thing came with windows update for my girlfriend's laptop. We'll test them this way and if hers acts up under this version, I'll flash her the BIOS from @badaltharayil.

Instructions for FIX

💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    @Roland_Lorinczi

I hope your issue gets resolved Roland. I'd prefer to see you on this side advising and helping others, and not on the side where you are struggling with this.

I am not sure where you are from? In US it is comparatively easy for replacements and such. In other countries like India, it is literally a run from pillar to pillar kinda thing. Plus, in US, a $1000 laptop is about 1/4 monthly pay on an average, where in India, at about INR 75,000, it is more like a monthly pay, and some times multi month pay. So its really hard on them, esp if they were students or in early stages of career of a less than decent enough job. And how do I know this -- I have seen both sides of the coin in both places. I wish Acer was atleast decent enough to post a pinned post on this forum keeping people updated on the progress of the issue.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    I agree @sri369, that version of me would be my preference as well...

Its just a bit hard after being kept in the dark for what seems so long from this side of the issue...😅😶

I don't mind letting you know that I'm from Eastern Europe, on par with India economically...so yeah...one laptop is about 3 decent salaries here, so 6 months of saving everything after bills and food without rent... 

I recently founded a company and working for someone abroad as a contractor so I'm making a bit more and managed to afford it...

But it's not like economically I can view it as a cheap toy or something, it's still a significant amount of money...

But even if it was 1/4 month pay for me i would mind somewhat...

I'll work on toning down my petiness and whining though 😅 (it doesn't really help get some relevant staff attention here anyway)

I agree with the pinned post idea. It'd be very appreciated :)

Thank you @sri369 ☺️
    And thank you all, this entire community for taking part in this conversation and everyone who tests and troubleshoots with us...
    This all would be even harder without you guys 😊🤗

Instructions for FIX

• therealsujith
    therealsujith Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    Yesterday received a mail from Acer customer support 
    In mail they assured problem will be fixed if i flash UEFI / BIOS 1.15 
    My Laptop model is PH315-51 I5 8300H, if you want to flash the BIOS please do it AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    I flashed it yesterday night and will update the status if i face any issue
    Below is the link to download file
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D0rXBvKx0kIHu4xEME7Ic1dn6ESwNwnz
    also mail received from Acer 
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @therealsujith could you inquire wether it's compatible with 317-52 models as well please?
    Thank you for the update and file btw!

Instructions for FIX

• therealsujith
    therealsujith Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

@therealsujith could you inquire wether it's compatible with 317-52 models as well please?
    I just sent him a mail.
    Will update you after his reply. Hopefully it will be compatible :):) .
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @therealsujith You truly ARE: THE REAL Sujith 😎 #Legend xD
    Thank you! 🙏

Instructions for FIX

• praveen001
    praveen001 Member Posts: 23 Networker
    @Roland_Lorinczi@therealsujith
    today, a service engineer visited from acer in my house and installed bios 1.15 in PH 315-51. he said problem is resolved . problem where actually in bios software. but before installing bios please update all your pending window update then install it
  • praveen001
  • badaltharayil
    badaltharayil Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hi all,

I think the problem is solved did 4 complete charge and drain cycle. No freezes. Bios v1.15 worked the best so far. 
  • praveen001
    hey @Roland_Lorinczi
    is your problem solved or not. 
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    So far I have BIOS v1.12 from windows update, not really willing to risk the 315-52 1.15 BIOS version if it might be incompatible.

Haven't had an issue for about 2 days now, I too used it on battery as well as plugged in and various tasks including browsing and youtube...
    We'll see.

Would be eager to update to BIOS 1.15 though just to be on the safe side, having the latest, but only if I get word that it's universal between 315-51 & 317-52 and indeed compatible.

Thank you @praveen001 for caring and thank you @badaltharayil for the update!

Instructions for FIX

• badaltharayil
    edited June 2018
    I have called the service centre and asked them to check and verify if the bios version v1.15 is compatible with ph317-52...they said yes! It is compatible. - just passing on the message. Final decision is yours
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @badaltharayil Thank you for relaying it!

🔔 Update: on the ACER Product Support page for both 315-51 & 317-52 there is a new BIOS uploaded yesterday! (6/13/2018)

Now the naming is off, so can't tell whether they're our current v1.12 or the v1.15 ones...
    But just putting it out there here that there are a couple of BIOS es available now on the support pages.

I'll try to check what version I think. Wish me luck 😃

Here they are btw, just for convenience:

PH315-51: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7603?b=1
    PH317-52: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7602?b=1

Instructions for FIX

• badaltharayil
    @badaltharayil Thank you for relaying it!

🔔 Update: on the ACER Product Support page for both 315-51 & 317-52 there is a new BIOS uploaded yesterday! (6/13/2018)

Now the naming is off, so can't tell whether they're our current v1.12 or the v1.15 ones...
    But just putting it out there here that there are a couple of BIOS es available now on the support pages.

I'll try to check what version I think. Wish me luck 😃

Here they are btw, just for convenience:

PH315-51: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7603?b=1
    PH317-52: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7602?b=1

Good luck buddy! Everything is going to be good hopefully. The link you provided for ph315-51 doesnt contain any official bios so far. 

• Roland_Lorinczi
    @badaltharayil Click "all" and it'll show up.

Instructions for FIX

• badaltharayil
    @Roland_Lorinczi : Oh! my bad ! you are a Saviour man :D. Bios with file size of over 300 mb wow! :astonished:
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    So it seem's like that BIOS is an Intel graphics driver :) ...cool

Instructions for FIX

• raagkush
    raagkush Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Can't see BIOS!
This discussion has been closed.