PH315-51 showing black screen after one hour of web surfing

Answers

• bsriram
    bsriram Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've experienced the crash issue only one time (last week) and no problems since (don't know how).I don't know if undervolting is the issue. Can the guys who have the crash problem check with the undervolting disabled?
  • raagkush
    raagkush Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Aqeel09 said:
    Please give me exact steps to install windows 10 from MS site.
    Mine is predator ph315-51 BIOS v1.05

How to get original key from the present installed os to use it on fresh installation of windows 10 . I got windows 10 preinstalled . So will i loose my genuine version if i install from MS site
    I am newbie i  don't have much knowledge about these things
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-windows-product-key
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    @bsriram my crashes started before I even installed XTU :| But reinstalled windows 10 yesterday and let automatic updates install the drivers and this time no blue screens or green video so maybe there were some fixes to some drivers. Hopefully enough so to fix the blackscreen issue as well.
    So far no crash but then again it took a couple of days for it to start happening the first time before it becoming more or less daily. I'll keep you all posted on how it's going with the automatic updates enabled though now.
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Aqeel09
    Aqeel09 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

bsriram said:
    I've experienced the crash issue only one time (last week) and no problems since (don't know how).I don't know if undervolting is the issue. Can the guys who have the crash problem check with the undervolting disabled?
    How to do it ?
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @Aqeel09 Well if you don't know how to disable undervolting it's safe to assume you didn't undervolt your system in the first place :P 
    It's a process done either via intel XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility) or Throttlestop mainly, and you can set a "Core voltage offset" of about -0.100v, basically allowing less volts to your CPU (hence the name). It helps your CPU not heat up as much.

Sometimes and if you undervolt too much it can result in weaker performance or even system instability. But usually there's a sweetspot where your system can still be stable under load and your CPU keeps cool enough that you don't end up sacrificing performance either (your CPU performs better on lower temperatures).

So that's hat undervolting is. But I don't think you have that set up and I don't think that causes the issue either :) But thank you @bsriram for trying to help 😊 

BTW no crashes for me so far - clean windows 10 install, same as before, only difference is that i let windows update install the drivers instead of me installing any manually. No issues so far (but it's only been a day so...*knocks on wood) .

Hopefully they solved whatever caused it and pushed some updates. Solved the green video issue with the intel UHD (video works fine now with latest windows pushed driver) and hopefully no blue or black screen will come either...Only time will tell though. In case anything happens though I'll let you know :)

Instructions for FIX

💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • badaltharayil
    badaltharayil Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
    @Roland_Lorinczi
    : Good luck bro! looking ahead to a positive outcome. I still don't understand the logic behind allowing windows update the drivers resolve the issue. Fingers crossed :cold_sweat:

• badaltharayil
    @Roland_Lorinczi
    : Good luck bro! looking ahead to a positive outcome. I still don't understand the logic behind allowing windows update the drivers resolve the issue. Fingers crossed :cold_sweat:

Adding: which is the version of windows u installed 1709. If so did you update it to 1803?

• Roland_Lorinczi
    @badaltharayil 1803, same as before. actually used the same stick...only difference is i let windows take care of the drivers this time and it did so without any hiccups arising so i didn't install any manually...curious to see if there were any fixes done or if it'll act up again :/ time will tell...

Instructions for FIX

• badaltharayil
    @Roland_Lorinczi : I was about to reinstall windows one last time, but I got another bios update through windows update. Now my bios is running at v1.14. I will get it tested and update you.
  • Marathi_Manus
    Marathi_Manus Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    All,
    This thing is getting funny day by day. Y'day someone posted a BIOS 1.15 on whats up group. The claim was he got it from Acer Taiwan. I mean what next. BIOS update 100.15 soon on radar? :P. 

Please do answer a simple question:-
    How many here updated the BIOS manually and are still facing issue? Last time I checked with BIOS 1.12 the issue was still there.

Roland_Lorinczi 
    If I get you correctly, you reinstalled the windows and let MS update take care of all drivers (Including UHD 630 and Nvidia), right? 
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @Marathi_Manus correct. I really didn't expect much from this attempt but so far it's been okay...i'll see how it behaves in the coming days though

Instructions for FIX

• Hash6000
    Hash6000 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

hey...i let my pc install some updates (automatic) ...i wasnt facing any issues from past two days . i mean still the screen freezes while playing games . i mean when i use my xbox controller with bluetooth  and i open task manager to del it ...then shut it down by alt f4 ..then it turn on ....i mean is this a problem of bluetooth or hdmi, graphic card?? could you please help ? ..do i have to reinstall windows again ? drivers and all? ..will that solve ?? help!
  • Marathi_Manus
    edited June 2018
    ** ALERT ** ** ALERT ** ** ALERT **
    Just encountered the same issue while running on the Linux. Need to put a pin in battery hole.....again!! God da*n Acer. This is definitely a hardware issue (or poor firmware)
    ** ALERT ** ** ALERT ** ** ALERT **

• Roland_Lorinczi
    edited June 2018
    Thank you @Marathi_Manus for ruling out linux solving it! Wow...what a ****show...

Instructions for FIX

• Aqeel09

Tinkerer

How to do hardware checkup on acer laptop to check for faulty hardware ??
  • Marathi_Manus
    edited June 2018
    Anyways, i am done knocking head on the issue. My other work is getting affected bcoz of this non sense.

I will gift this predator to someone else in family I think.

God help other chaps here who are stuck with this machine. I pray ur sufferings will end soon. 

Acer sucks.
  • badaltharayil
    Hello All,

I just go another BIOS update from a service center near me. It's V1.15 and came specifically to avoid freezing issue. Thats what I was informed :/
    I have attached the bios setup if anyone wants to try out 

• Marathi_Manus
    Hello All,

I just go another BIOS update from a service center near me. It's V1.15 and came specifically to avoid freezing issue. Thats what I was informed :/
    I have attached the bios setup if anyone wants to try out 

Duh.....That's what people do with their new laptop. They update bios of brand new system every alternate days. 

I think we have all become laboratory rats for Acer. Correct me if I am wrong. 
  • Aqeel09

Tinkerer

Is this for ph 315-51 model ? 
    Pls confirm
  • badaltharayil
    Aqeel09 said:
    Is this for ph 315-51 model ? 
    Pls confirm
    Yes, it is  :)
This discussion has been closed.