PH315-51 showing black screen after one hour of web surfing

Answers

• Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Speaking of overheating...Didn Didn't wanna actually post this as I already commented under one of their facebook posts and didn't wanna become that guy...but i'll go ahead and share this gag at least with you guys xD 
    @inFAMOUS welcome to the forum / thread :) Thank you. Yes so far thatst how iveIbeen able to mitigate it as well: max processor state 95% & -0.100v core voltage offset (undervolt). Plus a cooling pad...and that I think we could live with...the freeze/ boot to black screen though....... it's a bit too much to accept in a brand new $1k+ system...
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • inFAMOUS
    inFAMOUS Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    for black screen i used event viewer it showed event id 10016 and it was dcom error for shell service host idk wth is that but i found a fix on internet but even after that new event id popped up and black screen problem came again does anyone know how to do a total clean install from pen drive .   the bios doesn't show legacy option and it is v1.12
    @Roland_Lorinczi idk wether to laugh or cry at the joke😂😅
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    @inFAMOUS Thank you for actually posting something relevant to working towards a solution. 

DCOM error can be system specific and apparently there is a privilege in the registry that needs modification. 

Here is an example read out from a Dell XPS system VIA "Event Viewer" which has the same error. 

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} and APPID 
    {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}  to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

And here was the fix. 
    Note: If applied to your own system you need to check event viewer for the CLSID & APPID and change the fix posted below to match. 

1. Open Regedit
    2. Go to HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID\{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} 
    3. Right click on it then select permissions  
    4. Click Advance and change the owner to Administrators group. Also click the box that will appear below the owner line. ("Replace owner ...")
    5. Apply full control 

6. Go to HKEY_LocalMachine\Software\Classes\AppID\{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97} 
    7. Right click on it then select permission 
    8. Click Advance and change the owner to Administrators group
    9. Click the box that will appear below the owner line 
    10. Click Apply and grant full control to the Administrators group

11. Go to Administrative tools 
    12. Open component services 
    13. Click Computer, click my computer, then click DCOM 
    14. Look for the corresponding service that appears on the error viewer [Immersive Shell]
    15. Right click on it then click properties 
    16. Click security tab then click Add User. Add Local Service then apply 
    17. Tick the Activate local box 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Aqeel09
    Aqeel09 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

I too own a same laptop . When ever black screen occurs after resetting battery through pin hole . If u check windows event log it shows CRITICAL ERROR - KERNEL POWER EVENT 41 
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @Aqeel09 same. That however seems merely to indicate the forced shutdown event. I couldn't pinpoint to a pattern of what event occurs right before that. In all cases there were different events preceeding the cache that don't seem to have anything to do with the crash itself... :/

Instructions for FIX

💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Red-Sand
    edited June 2018
    Hey guys this might be the fix for you. 
    Respond here if successful. 

Solution: For PH315-51

Check for the Graphics type that is present in the system (NVIDIA or Intel Graphics)

If NVIDIA graphics is present use the below link to update the drivers.

If Intel graphics is present use the below link to update the drivers. (download zip file and update manually

Please find Manual Driver update process e.g. link below.

If Step 1 troubleshooting is NOT successful then need to update the latest BIOS.

BIOS Version: 1.12

BIOS Update available in FTP site and please find the below mentioned link.

Updating BIOS from FTP:

Extract the file DH53F_112.zip

Open Windows Folder and then select the .exe file - DH53F105.exe to install the BIOS.

Restart the system and check if the issue still persists.

Wifi Latest Driver:

- Hotel Hero
  • badaltharayil
    badaltharayil Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    @Red-Sand: There is a latest version available for the Intel graphics than the mentioned one. Should I go for it or the one mentioned by you. Rest of the drivers are already up to date for me. Bios v1.12 was updated through a windows update somehow. should II try reinstalling the bios with the given setup? 
  • badaltharayil
    edited June 2018
    @Acer-Manny
    @Acer-Dan
    @Acer-JoeRoot
    @acer-jose
    - You guys please at least show the diligence of replying or updating your users over here. We didn't pay for this attitude. Don't make the customers ***** off, please. It wouldn't be so nice :)
  • Red-Sand
    @badaltharayil
    Install the ones mentioned. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • badaltharayil
    @Red-Sand
    : Thanks for your help I tried your instructions issue persists. I think it happens when I use Internet or play you-tube videos. Just a hunch. 
  • Marathi_Manus
    Marathi_Manus Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    @Red-Sand
    : Thanks for your help I tried your instructions issue persists. I think it happens when I use Internet or play you-tube videos. Just a hunch. 
    So u updated nvidia drivers as well as bios to 1.12 and still feeling the issue. 

Here is what happened
    I emailed Acer india MD yday. Within hours got email from with the same guide from inside technical manager . Since the bios update is coming from Google drive folder (and not official Acer site) i was reluctant to even consider it. Had they been sure about fix, they would have uploaded bios on official website. think what Acer doing is passing time. Doing trail n error. These ppl are clueless. Mark my words.

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    @sri369 setting a supervisor password enables the greyes out options below it but boot mode is still only UEFI, legacy doesn't show up as an option...
    I guess I'll just try without this step, with MBR at windows install.

Could you perhaps link to the latest BIOS for PH317-52&PH315-51? I just noticed I NEED the BIOS to support Legacy in order to be able to install with MBR...
    This is so very weird of Acer to disable that. I got lucky i had that option of legacy in my bios. In fact, if it didn't have the option of legacy, I would have returned this.

You could still go ahead with GPT for windows 10, but my way. 10 off MS site, and drivers via windows or some driver manager.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Well if it's only happening while watching videos or on the Internet have you guys tired disabling hardware acceleration...? 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Aqeel09

Tinkerer

Tried all above mentioned steps, still issue persists. Clueless about what to do ,acer service center took my laptop for 5 days and returned saying that everything is ok as they installed windows 10 1703 version, within an hour i received my laptop i got same issue . Its sad that acer team unable to find whats the problem ...
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Aqeel09 said:
    Tried all above mentioned steps, still issue persists. Clueless about what to do ,acer service center took my laptop for 5 days and returned saying that everything is ok as they installed windows 10 1703 version, within an hour i received my laptop i got same issue . Its sad that acer team unable to find whats the problem ...
    Did you try a fresh windows install (off MS site) and allowing drivers loading via windows or a 3rd party tool (and not installing acer drivers)?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • inFAMOUS

Tinkerer

@Red-Sand now 10016 error is fixed but under application tab in event viewer 3 new errors have popped up the event id are 1008,2004 and 1023 below i am posting ss as these are app specific imo
  • inFAMOUS

Tinkerer

the first ss
  • inFAMOUS

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    i guess ss aren`t uploading so here are the errors:
    1.  1008,Perflib:The Open Procedure for service "MSDTC" in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\msdtcuiu.DLL" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.
    2. 2004,Perfnet:The Open Procedure for service "MSDTC" in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\msdtcuiu.DLL" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.
    3. 1023,Perflib:Windows cannot load the extensible counter DLL rdyboost. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the Windows error code.
    @roland_loranczi go to eventvwr>windows logs>system and click on level tab
    this will group all errors together,now look for any error except for ones corresponding to your force restart
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @inFAMOUS thank you. A bit late though as I reinstalled windows and tried letting drivers install automatically.

Last time the drivers pushed by windows caused other issues that I managed to solve by manually installing older drivers (blue screen, green videos...).

The thing is, since I reinstalled windows: no issues...so far...but it took a couple of days to a week for it to start haplening the first time around too. Then it became about daily...

Glad that you still have your event viewer log though - anyone else still on the OS installation on which you have been experiencing the issue: try following inFAMOUS's instructions to check for errors and post them if you can somehow, let's see if there's a common thread/pattern perhaps...

Instructions for FIX

• Aqeel09

Tinkerer

Please give me exact steps to install windows 10 from MS site.
    Mine is predator ph315-51 BIOS v1.05

How to get original key from the present installed os to use it on fresh installation of windows 10 . I got windows 10 preinstalled . So will i loose my genuine version if i install from MS site
    I am newbie i  don't have much knowledge about these things
This discussion has been closed.