PH315-51 showing black screen after one hour of web surfing

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    @sri369: this seems like the only boot mode i have 
    @badaltharayil can you please get into boot screen, and take photos of the various tabs there for me.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • badaltharayil
    badaltharayil Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
    @sri@sri369 this seems like the only boot mode i have shownnin my bios. I am sorry to bother you I am not so good at these things
  • sri369
    @sri@sri369 this seems like the only boot mode i have shownnin my bios. I am sorry to bother you I am not so good at these things
    Always happy to help. Did you set up master password first? What is your bios version?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • badaltharayil
    edited June 2018
    @sri369: i have set the suprevisor password

i have also created a bootable usb with Rufus.

[Edited post to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]
  • sri369
    Your supervisor password is not set. Try setting it and see if it shows up the new boot options.
    Is the bios version 1.12 the latest for it?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369
    Below are the screenshots from mine. Ignore the order please. Also, when you post pictures like this, make sure to remove the serials and uuids. These are unique to devices.

cur

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369
    Also, creating a boot with rufus... i would first recommend to see if it works. I had to use another program to make the usb bootable. Rufus did not make it bootable, though it said it did.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I just thought I'd share my current progress in working on a fix. 

I personally do not own a 8th gen Helios so troubleshooting has been a bear as I've had to relay my actions to other users many of which are not in my time zone.. 

In any case it appears I've narrowed it to a windows issue. 

The reason I say this is because if Linux is installed on the 8th gen Helios then NO issues or black screens happen. 
    Which can only mean it's something windows is conflicting with. 

Not much I know but I thought I'd share. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    edited June 2018
    I'd like to ask anyone who's having this issue... 

What windows version do you have? 
    Did this error occur out of the box? Or did you update windows completely prior? 

Would someone with the 8th gen mind rolling back to Windows 1709 or perhaps 1703 and see if the error persists? 

Here is a link to a third party source that stores Windows ISOs as they are released, I've gone to them for years with no issues. 

http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-creators-update-1703-download-build-15063/windows-10-creators-update-1703-iso-download-standard/

You can use Rufus or an equivilent USB media installation tool to install the previous version. 

https://rufus.akeo.ie
    - Hotel Hero
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    @sri369 setting a supervisor password enables the greyes out options below it but boot mode is still only UEFI, legacy doesn't show up as an option...
    I guess I'll just try without this step, with MBR at windows install.

Could you perhaps link to the latest BIOS for PH317-52&PH315-51? I just noticed I NEED the BIOS to support Legacy in order to be able to install with MBR...
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    😫😂😫😂 I don't even know whether I should cry or laugh anymore...
    So I was looking on my laptop model's support page on acer...
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7602?b=1
    Turns out:
    1-There's no official BIOS update uploaded...(though it seems like there might be a 1.08 version, newer than the stock 1.05)
    2-I won't even get to test windows 7 cause they don't offer any drivers or support with windows 7 :) Talk about getting with the times, I know windows went over to 10 only with support in the future but THEN MAKE THAT WORK...or at least provide drivers and stuff for windows 7, the last stable and liked OS version since xp -_-

So my option now is to risk downloading 1.08 from a third party, hoping it won't brick my system even more...and hoping it offers boot mode:legacy to have a CHANCE at maybe getting it to work...this is some big league bull...

Instructions for FIX

💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    OH! So PH317-52 has NO BIOS updates...but PH317-51 has FOUR!
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7309?b=1

I see...Brilliant.

Any chance they are compatible and I can use the updates from there for my system?...

Instructions for FIX

• Hash6000
    Hash6000 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

i contated acer care ..he tells me reinstall the os....? will that solve?

• badaltharayil
    @Hash6000:i have reinstalled the os for 5 times so far. Nothing changed
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    edited June 2018
    Update: so apparently last thursday they released an updated version of predatorsense for my laptop model (another issue we've been dealing with on the forum - will post the uodate to the relevant threadbas well) only for me to find out now by myself.

Nobody gave a flying duck from them to say "hey...were workig on that and you'll see uldated predatorsense downloads for the following models / all by xyz date..." 

Like...are my standards and expectations REALLY that unrealistic here? What is this bull?...

Instructions for FIX

• raagkush
    raagkush Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Is it only me whose predator ph315-51 is running fine?
  • Red-Sand
    Have you guys tried using Driver Booster to update all your driver's to see if that fixes? 

https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php
    - Hotel Hero
  • Marathi_Manus
    Marathi_Manus Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Alright, a lot of discussions since I last looked into this.  TL;DR
    Few random points:-
    1) Just to be clear, MBR partitions won't stand a chance with UEFI. Acer is *****$ enough to disable falling back to legacy BIOS. So if you want to make bootable USB installer:- a) your ISO should contain UEFI bootloader. b) GPT partition. RUFUS will work nicely on windows.

2) All Indian units sold via flipkart are PH315-51 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7603?b=1&pn=NH.Q3HSI.005
    No BIOS update for them at all. 

3) Win 7 is possible with some tweaks:- http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-7-installation-help-for-intel-skylake-and-kaby-lake-laptops.803630/
    Downside it onboard UDH won't work. You can run on GeForce dedicated graphics all time.

BTW, where is @Acer_Manny? You're being missed, darling/dude. :D 

OH! So PH317-52 has NO BIOS updates...but PH317-51 has FOUR!
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7309?b=1
    I see...Brilliant.
    Any chance they are compatible and I can use the updates from there for my system?...
     Don't. Not until you get it thoroughly verified from Acer. No point in bricking your machine. If you're good with recovering BIOS etc, then feel free to try.
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @Marathi_Manus
     Don't. Not until you get it thoroughly verified from Acer. No point in bricking your machine. If you're good with recovering BIOS etc, then feel free to try.
     I'd have to be some insane level power-user and write my own code for it probably to accomplish it though since universal BIOS backup toolkit 2.0 doesn't even recognize the BIOS :)
    And Acer doesn't provide a proprietary BIOS backup tool or backed up stock BIOSes for each model...

Instructions for FIX

• inFAMOUS
    inFAMOUS Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

overheating can be solved by changing maximum processor state to 99% (and minimum to 0%) or you can download Intel xtu to disable turboboost @praveen001
This discussion has been closed.