PH315-51 showing black screen after one hour of web surfing

Answers

• badaltharayil
    badaltharayil Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
    @Marathi_Manus: hey brother,
    I have faced the issue with windows 10 build 1709 as well, so can't blame on 1803 build I believe. 
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    Roland_Lorinczi Member Posts: 126 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    @badaltharayil Thanks for the info. All these help us narrow it down further and exclude things that won't help so people don't have to attempt these futile troubleshooting steps... 
    ⚠️ If you're affected by the System Hang/ Black Screen issue:

Official Fix Announced by Acer_Manny
    Instructions for FIX

Currently owned Acer systems:
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) - Same specs and issues as above 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • vedang55
    vedang55 Member Posts: 21 Networker
    edited June 2018
    badaltharayil I have BIOS v1.05 as well. I'll look around for a newer version see if I can find anything. If you or anyone knows of a newer BIOS version please let us know and link it.

Also, @Acer-Manny if you can lend us a hand...it'd be appreciated...Or if you lack the capacity from your workload, please let another support know and have someone on our case and interacting here. We'd appreciate it, thank you! Let us know if there is a more recent BIOS please or any official update on this all...
    i am running on bios v1.09, i got it on windows update, also note that i have this checked in advanced options
    edit : i got the bios update cause i had windows insider builds enabled, i just reenabled windows insider builds and got another bios update.

• badaltharayil
    @vedang55
    : Thanks for your update brother! Are you sure if the bios update comes for i5 version of this series.?

• Roland_Lorinczi
    @vedang55 Thank you. And with that version are you or are you not experiencing black screen? How long have you used it without any black screen?

Instructions for FIX

💻 Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52) - i7 8750H, GTX 1060, Win 10 64bit (build 1803), 8gb Ram (single channel), WD Blue 256GB SSD in M.2 slot, 931GB Hitachi HGST factory Hard drive. [Owned New Since 2018, May 22nd - Overheating (solved-ish) , PredatorSense not working (solved) & BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (BIOS update 1.15) ] 
    💻 Aspire 5750G - 2nd Gen. i5 processor, 4gigs of ram, nVidia GT 540M [Owned new Since 2010 - in working condition]

:) Status: Been with Acer since 2010 - Was disappointed with the Blackscreen issue & lack of interaction from staff for ~1week
    But Acer_Manny and the Acer team came through with BIOS announcement and upload.
  • vedang55
    @vedang55
    : Thanks for your update brother! Are you sure if the bios update comes for i5 version of this series.?

those are beta bios builds, i got them by enabling windows insider(i just realized now)
  • vedang55
    @vedang55 Thank you. And with that version are you or are you not experiencing black screen? How long have you used it without any black screen?
    Fortunately i never had black screen issues,  been using this device since 21 May
  • Roland_Lorinczi
    @vedang55 I see. Thanks. The thing is, for now I have even regular windows updates disabled since I managed to solve the blue screen issues i was having out of the box by disabling the windows 10 provided "latest" drivers updates that kept overriding the UHD and nVidia drivers that are the latest stable ones from Acer... didn't have the courage to re-enable automatic updates before it's confirmed the ones win 10 pushes keep the system stable...

Instructions for FIX

• Roland_Lorinczi
    @vedang55 could you share any and perhaps all system specs you have if it turns out that the BIOS version is not the culprit? Drivers' versions, win version and build number...?
    Thanks in advance. But the BIOS thing is a nice lead, thank you. Especially if you had that from the getgo under windows insider without issues.

Instructions for FIX

• Roland_Lorinczi
    @vedang55 sorry, your screenshkt already has those info, just noticed :p

Instructions for FIX

• Roland_Lorinczi
    @Acer-Manny - This is my event viewer log of the critical errors, the system reboots from not clean shutdowns. There are no clear event in a pattern right BEFORE the black screen occurs. These event timestamps correlate with the time when the system booted up again (after I performed the pinhole reset).

Let me know if there's any specific info I / we can obtain that could help with the troubleshooting.

Come to think of it Manny: Could you get some of us, willing participants in touch with developers/engineers so we can actually help them make headway with troubleshooting? :)
    Would something like that be in your power/capacity?

I would appreciate an answer to this, even if it's just letting me know that you can't do that (I'm hoping it might be possible though...) Thanks in advance. Any update or explanation of your or the company's position on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Instructions for FIX

• praveen001
    praveen001 Member Posts: 23 Networker
    from 40 hr , random freezing does not happen in my pc

• badaltharayil
    @praveen001
    : So far I haven't received the bios update. So should I sign-up for Insider Program?
  • badaltharayil
    I have opted for windows insider program and now my bios is updated to version v.1.12. I am testing out my laptop from now! fingers crossed :(

• badaltharayil
    edited June 2018
    @praveen001
    @Acer-Manny

@Roland_Lorinczi: bios update to v1.12 didnt help....froze twice in 15 minute of usage.  So fed up with this issue do something Acer. We cant keep on waiting forever and ever. :(

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Can you guys try disabling internal graphics card completely, and see if the issue still arises?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Roland_Lorinczi

@sri369 thanks for the idea. It's just starting to get a bit too frustrating as it's not an issue that we can reproduce at will so we might end up waiting a day or two for it to happen...

I think I still have a couple of days left to return it hassle-free, I've had it for less than a month and ordered online...seriously considering returning and getting it again if the issue is fixed....or rather not getting it at all...

Probably better off with a 1050ti rig and 7700hq from a different manufacturer at this budget but that works and has decent support...

I'm starting to question why am I even struggling with this still...this is not what I signed up for when I bought two predators for ~$2700...

And a company the size of Acer not solving this yet or at least announcing already what's causing the issue dissapoints me to be honest...

This is not some sweep-under-the-rug level mess...they just released the white versions for the Helios 300....so many people will be buying these every day...we're just the first of many...They should take this way more seriously...I really took some time and gave them a fair chance I think but I'm starting to get fed up...

Instructions for FIX

• Roland_Lorinczi
    So I've done some manual "scraping" for contacts on the forum. I've tagged all Community Administrators, Crew & Moderators I could find to get some more attention to this: If anyone can pull a string and get something done about this, it'd be appreciated. Thank you all for understanding. As @badaltharayil said:
    [...] So fed up with this issue do something Acer. We cant keep on waiting forever and ever. :(
    @Acer-jose@Acer-brad@Acer-Travis@Acer-Dirk@Acer-karp@Acer-Cory@Acer-carsten@Acer-mary@Acer-Micha@Acer-Tim@Acer-sam@Acer-dan@Acer-david@Acer-harvey@Acer-joeRoot@Acer-Moses

@Acer-Manny escalated to headquarters but if anyone has any other/better connections or authority/reach than he/she does, we'd appreciate any effort made on our behalf.

Thank you.

Instructions for FIX

• Roland_Lorinczi
    sri369 said:
    Can you guys try disabling internal graphics card completely, and see if the issue still arises?
    @sri369 I made that change though about 20 minutes after you posted the suggestion, just letting you know I'm looking out for if it still crashes or not. Perhaps we'll be able to narrow it down this time around...
    But yeah it's difficult with the error being random instead of us being able to try troubleshooting steps and trigger it somehow to see if something worked...I guess we'll wait and see...

Instructions for FIX

• Roland_Lorinczi
    edited June 2018
    Well @sri369 Thanks for the tip but it didn't solve it. At least we can exclude intel UHD as a source of the problem. I just had another freeze up and black screen while having intel hd disabled from device manager and using only nvidia...
    I'm trying it the other way around now: Intel HD enabled and nVidia disabled...

Circumstances and info gathered during this freeze:
    Machine wasn't under load - happened while browsing in chrome, scrolling on a website, 10-15 minutes the computer froze up.
    Edit(Added):Machine was not on battery power, it was plugged in.

Narrowing information: I tried pressing down shift key 6 times to see if perhaps only the display froze up and the laptop would still make the sound the sticky key notification makes when it's triggered. No sound though, leading me to believe it's not merely a display issue.

Instructions for FIX

This discussion has been closed.