What is wrong with my Acer Predator 17 when the battery won't charge but laptop works plugged in?

zortec7
zortec7 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I bought this laptop around June of last year and just now saw this problem. My laptop itself will not charge (no charging light or on the screen) but it works when plugged in, the charging icon just shows it to be plugged in but says "not charging" at 2%. When I unplug it, the laptop immediately turns off without me being able to turn it back on. When I plug it back in the laptop reboots several times (3) until it fully turns on and works perfectly (except for it not charging). What should I do? Thank you for your help.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Does Device Mgr show any red or yellow warnings? If yes, uninstall the drivers. Exit. Then do a cold boot to let Windows automatically re-detect and re-install the drivers. If no warnings, uninstall the battery driver only and also do a cold boot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    zortec7 

Please perform a power reset and check if the issue is resolved.
    Disconnect the charger. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.
    The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds.
    Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop to check the charging issue.

If the issue persists, open device manager, under the Batteries category, Uninstall "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery". Then in Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes. After device manager detects Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery component and restores it, restart your computer and issue should be fixed.

Please post back and let me know if you need more help.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • SUNV_Revenge
    SUNV_Revenge Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    theres a little micro switch hidden away next to the ram slot there is a little tab on the ram cover that pushs it in if that tab breacks off the laptop will not work on battery till you find a way the push the micro switch in

Answers

• JackE
    Does Device Mgr show any red or yellow warnings? If yes, uninstall the drivers. Exit. Then do a cold boot to let Windows automatically re-detect and re-install the drivers. If no warnings, uninstall the battery driver only and also do a cold boot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    zortec7 

Disconnect the charger. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.
    The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds.
    Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop to check the charging issue.

If the issue persists, open device manager, under the Batteries category, Uninstall "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery". Then in Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes. After device manager detects Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery component and restores it, restart your computer and issue should be fixed.

• SUNV_Revenge
    did you fix it if not i may have a fix?
  • JackE
    @SUNV_Revenge Well don't hold us all in suspense, what's your fix? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SUNV_Revenge
    Answer ✓
    theres a little micro switch hidden away next to the ram slot there is a little tab on the ram cover that pushs it in if that tab breacks off the laptop will not work on battery till you find a way the push the micro switch in
  • JackE
    @SUNV_Revenge Thanks for the tip! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zortec7
    Sharanji said:
    zortec7 

I did these things and it is still not working. 
  • zortec7
    did you fix it if not i may have a fix?
    where is the ram slot and this micro switch?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited May 2018
    Hi zortec7,

These randomly shutting off/power issues may be cause by the chassis intrusion switch located under the RAM door, you can try the following troubleshooting steps to identify if this the case. If this fixes the issue then we can identify that they might be an issue with the chassis intrusion switch and is recommended to contact you local Acer repair center to have the notebook sent in for repair.

The purpose of the chassis intrusion switch is to disable the power if the RAM door is removed, it prevents accidental removal of RAM while the Notebook is powered on.

1.      Make sure that the door on the bottom of the unit and FULLY screw the door in place. Just snapping the door in place is NOT sufficient. 

2.      The chassis intrusion switch may vary depending on WHICH Predator 17 Notebook model you have. But in general the switch is located in the upper right hand corner of the bottom RAM and storage bay (see arrows). You may want to try adding a piece of double sided FOAM tape to the RAM door rubber post that aligns with the hole with the chassis intrusion switch.  If the rubber post is not completely depressing the chassis intrusion switch, the sponge tape can help fill the gap.

Note: keep in mind that If your notebook is under warranty and you don't want to try this steps, it is recommended to contact your local Acer support and set it up for repair for better assistance. 

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 

• Memfis85
    Memfis85 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi,
    I have the same problem with my G9-791
    It wont charge. 
    Did battery reset and uninstall of drivers. 
    After unplug and plug it, s charging for like 10 sec and stops. 
    It wont charge even with power off. 
  • JackE
    @Memfis85 Open Device Mgr. Under the Batteries folder, try uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-compliant Battery control method. Exit and reboot machine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Memfis85

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    @Memfis85 Open Device Mgr. Under the Batteries folder, try uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-compliant Battery control method. Exit and reboot machine. Jack E/NJ
    Did it. Charges for a few sec and stops
  • JackE
    @Memfis85 Is the time or percent remaining on the batt app continuing to drop? Does it warn plugged, NOT charging? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Memfis85

Tinkerer

Nope its on 6 %.
    It says plugget, charging. But the animation of charging stops after 3 cycles. 
    If i unplug and plug again its doing 3 times charge animation and stops

• JackE
    It stays on 6%? If yes, unplug the charger and use normally on battery alone. If it's actually 6%, it should start to automatically shut down within about 15 mins or so because it's near critically low level. If it doesn't shut off, the battery app may need to be re-calibrated. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Memfis85

Tinkerer

Ok it droped and shut down but still no charging
  • JackE
    OK. Check the output voltage of the charger's plug with a multimeter. It should be at least 15v. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Memfis85

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    Cannot i think its an impulse charger.
    But when it is pluged and on i can unplug battery and its stays on under a game.
    One more if its power off it wont charge too
  • JackE
    @Memfis85 >>>But when it is pluged and on i can unplug battery and its stays on under a game. One more if its power off it wont charge too >>>

Good observations!  Does it turn on with charger only and unplugged battery? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Memfis85

Tinkerer

Yes i can boot it with charger only
This discussion has been closed.