My Acer switch 3’s blue light indicates it’s on but screen is fully black

User10000
User10000 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2018 in Switch Series
It was working fine this morning. I just turned it off and about an hour later I went to turn it on again and the blue light turned on but the screen stayed exactly the same; black. I’ve tried all methods such as hold down on button, on button and volume down and it just wont boot up. I tried to leave it to go flat and charge it again but the blue light just stayed on all night, please help !! I’ve left it alone all day without touching it in hopes it just needed time to process everything and tried to turn it on again but it still stays the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thankyou.

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    User10000 
    First try a power reset and check if the issue is fixed.
    Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device. The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. It simulates removing and reinstalling the battery. 

Post back the status for further assistance.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    User10000 
    First try a power reset and check if the issue is fixed.
    Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device. The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. It simulates removing and reinstalling the battery. 

Post back the status for further assistance.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Zambino
    Zambino Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I am having the same problem as the poster described above. I cannot however locate a battery pin hole anywhere on my switch 3 device. Could anyone provide some guidance on where the pin hole is located or another fix to the problem raised above?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    Try to turn the display on and off with the Fn+F6 or Fn+F5 toggle key combos. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• User10000
    User10000 Member Posts: 2 New User
    With the accepted answer, I accidentally clicked “accept” not knowing what it meant and now do not know how to reverse so I apologise and know how frustrating this is. In the end, I took it back to the place I purchased it and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it and said they would need to send it away for further examination, however, I chose not to have ot sent away as I needed a laptop at this time And repair would take several weeks, so I opted to get my money back and get a new laptop. My advice would be to take it back and get it repaired or if it was as new as mine (3ish weeks old) to ask for a refund as this was a huge inconvienience. I have not heard back from the supplier what was wrong with it. So sorry 😐 
  • JackE
    @User10000>>>if it was as new as mine (3ish weeks old) to ask for a refund >>>

Best advice if possible because warranty repairs will take longer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Zambino
    Zambino Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Thanks for the reply @User10000, mine was unfortunately ~8 months old so still in warranty but it would have probably been a fight for best buy to refund me. I ended up sending mine into Acer, no response yet.
  • Benponsonby
    Benponsonby Member Posts: 4 New User
    How do i power reset as there is no battery reset button? Dont want to send laptop back just want it to work 
  • JackE
    @Benponsonby Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds or more to make sure the machine is completely turned off. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to try to access the BIOS menu. Can you access the menu? If not, do you see an ACER startup logo? If you see nothing on the screen at all, make sure the FN+F6 toggle key isn't turned off and then try to HDMI out to a TV. Jack E?NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Benponsonby
    @JackE still not working mate, screen is just always black, no idea what is happening
  • JackE
    Did you also try to HDMI out to a TV? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Benponsonby
    @JackE the laptop has no hdmi output
  • JackE
    @Benponsonby Then better tell us your full model name & number. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Benponsonby
    @JackE

Acer Switch SW312-31 

N17H1

• JackE
    @Benponsonby >>> Dont want to send laptop back just want it to work  >>>

"You cain't always get want you want....." Well, you must know the rest.  Sorry, unless something like a BIOS setting or update messed things up, it sure looks like a graphics adapter failure and not much more you can do about. You can try to press the F2 key to get into the BIOS menu when you turn the machine on. Then exit the menu while loading BIOS defaults. If still no joy and it's a recent purchase, you need to return it to the vendor for a refund or exchange or seek ACER warranty service pronto. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cockneyjock
    cockneyjock Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same issue. The screen is not coming on. Tried power resets. No battery reset pin hole. The laptop is not even 4 months old. 
  • JackE
    cockneyjock Don't waste any more time with this if you've already tried getting into the BIOS menu as suggested earlier without success. Arrange for an ACER warranty repair ASAP. No troubleshooting steps are available to this forum for screen failures in this particular model. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PandaMom
    PandaMom Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had this problem within 3 weeks of buying, sent to to Acer for repair, it has happened again today. It is really disruptive for work and costly. Really regret buying it I bought it in a shop who will not refund it once opened and Acer only offer to repair. It took 3 weeks in all to sort last time, i had to be in to have it picked up and delivered, I had to reinstall everything. Biggest waste of tome and money i have ever experienced.
  • JackE
    PandaMom>>>I bought it in a shop who will not refund it once opened >>>

This is very unusual for a vendor not to have a return policy on new laptops that are defective. What is the name of this vendor? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gadite
    gadite Member Posts: 1 New User
    HI all
    With the switch series i had the same problem just now try this close the lid the open the lid again the press the power button for 5-6 seconds and it should power off, what caused the problem is it was not powered off properly, its not it causes this problem.

Gadite
  • Smachar
    Smachar Member Posts: 1 New User
    The same issue here, i tried plug in the hdmi cable but the tv said "No Signal" maybe I need to edit some settings in my pc wich I can't do with that black screen, abd I tried the battery reset (from the hole) didn't work, so I just want to know if broken so I can change it, I'm so far from nearest acer magazine to me,I don't think about sending it to them.