chromebook freezes and unable to shut off.

lbayless
lbayless Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 2018 in Chromebooks

In the last week my chromebook has frozen 3 times. I was able to shut off after awhile but not this time so far. Not sure if there is a reset or do I take the battery out and how?

Thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Does a long press of the power button help?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lbayless
    lbayless Member Posts: 2 New User
    No I tried that several times. After about 2 hours I was finally able to get it to go off. Why do you think it's doing this?
  • billsey

If the long press doesn't shut it off then there is likely a hardware issue involved in the freezing (software issues are bypassed with the long press). If you are still under warranty, contact Acer Support for a repair.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SouthernTrouble
    SouthernTrouble Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have 2 Acer Chromebooks that I originally purchased for my daughters. After my oldest went to college, she needed a full laptop so I took her Chromebook when my pc dies after power surge.

I must admit I have never had more issues with a computer/tablet/laptop in my life. I mentioned several issues I found and my daughter informed me 'it's always done that'. I wish she would have told me as soon as it happened but now I get to deal with it.

My Acer Chromebook will be in the process of loading a single page or running multiple things. All of a sudden everything freezes! It responds to nothing, not even pressing power power for long time. One instance I really thought I was going to have to make it's battery die before it will reset. I had it closed, off the charger for several hours before it finally shut down.

When it comes back up the only sign an issue was had is the warning strip across the top of google stating Chrome had to shut down unexpectedly. Do I want to restore?

Now I've learned my other daughters Chromebook does these thing. This is obnoxiously frustrating especially since I can't just go buy a new one!

Any suggestions?
  • Spicer
    Spicer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Kyky said:
    I had the same exact problem. Nothing would work. But, then I tried pushing the restart button (the little circular arrow) and the power button at the same time, and it restarted my chromebook. It has been working after I imputed my passcode and it logged me in.
    Where is the restart button
  • SilverDragon
    SilverDragon Member Posts: 1 New User
    My chrome book froze and the keyboard stopped working, so I can't shut it down. My mouse is also gone on the screen.
  • Murph1
    Murph1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Pushing the power button and refresh/restart button got my Acer Chromebook 14 to shutdown and when I logged back on it was working.  Is there a fix to this problem?
  • Arian
    Arian Member Posts: 1 New User
    My chrome book froze and the keyboard stopped working, so I can't shut it down. My mouse is also gone on the screen.
    Did you fix it? If so how? Or did you just wait until it died?
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Refresh/Restart is the top button with the circular arrow above the 3-4 keys.
  • dickallen
    dickallen Member Posts: 4 New User
    Mine is an Acer Chromebook 14 CB3-431. I purchased it about 10 months ago and have no issues until just now at the library when the screen froze and I could not shut down. So, I logged into this thread using a public computer at the library.  When I opened my laptop again, Google's homepage was displayed with a message that it didn't shut down properly and asked if I wanted Reset or Cancel. Anyway, it seems to be ok for now at least. But, there was about 15 minutes that the screen was frozen.
  • billsey
    Typically that type of freeze is related to the tabs you have open, one of them is trying to do something 'in the background' that it can't. A full power cycle (press and hold power until it shuts down) clears it out quickly or sometime you can wait it out.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    There is a setting in Chrome to allow apps on a webpage to continue until completion, think you have to turn that off.
  • calimari604
    calimari604 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have an Acer Chrome book R11 and none of the reset strategies listed above worked. However, I pressed and held the small power button on the right edge of my computer beside the headphone jack. After holding for about 5 seconds it got my computer to reset and finally work again! Hallelujah! 
  • Eesa
    Eesa Member Posts: 1 New User
    Spicer said:
    Kyky said:
    I had the same exact problem. Nothing would work. But, then I tried pushing the restart button (the little circular arrow) and the power button at the same time, and it restarted my chromebook. It has been working after I imputed my passcode and it logged me in.
    Where is the restart button

padgett said:
    Refresh/Restart is the top button with the circular arrow above the 3-4 keys.

Big big thanks
  • Aanand
    Aanand Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hi, Unplug the Charger and Try to Shutdown or Turn Off the Computer. if you're Unable to Turn Off the Computer wait for Computer to Turn Off by itself by draining out the battery Power.

Once your Computer Turned Off, Plug the Charger and Turn On the Computer. Once the computer get into login screen, do not login to the computer and Follow the Options Below.

*Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R.
    *Click Restart to restart your Chrome book.
    *In the box that appears, click Reset and wait for Reset to Complete and sign in with your Google Account and setup your computer and use it.

By Performing Reset local data will be erased but cloud storage will be safe.

Thank you.
  • kellenka1917
    kellenka1917 Member Posts: 1 New User
    padgett said:
    There is a setting in Chrome to allow apps on a webpage to continue until completion, think you have to turn that off.
    HI! I think this is what I need to do because everytime mine freezes and I eventually (I'm talking hours) it seems to say that the problem was in the webpage crashing. How can I turn off this setting? Please and thank you. 
  • Noton
    Noton Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

Press and hold the power button on the chrome book fro 30 seconds and check if it is turning off, if not then unplug the charger if it is connected. Let the battery discharge completely.

Once the unit is shut down let it power on and then press the Shift, Alt, Ctrl and the Letter R together for a few seconds and the screen will prompt you to initiate a power wash. It will delete all local information from the computer and that should fix the problem.

If none of this is helping you can call Acer In warranty technical support who can take in the unit for a repair ( The unit should be under warranty for a free repair or else the repair will be chargeable. )

• ErinOB1
    ErinOB1 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Someone commented this above "I have an Acer Chrome book R11 and none of the reset strategies listed above worked. However, I pressed and held the small power button on the right edge of my computer beside the headphone jack. After holding for about 5 seconds it got my PC working again! This worked for me too but I don't see a place to "comment" on an individual post... only see this at the end.  Which honestly makes NO sense because 1) seems other people have individual comments within the original comment.  I don't have any type "reply to post" type link/button!!  2) Would seem logical to comment on the individual post!
  • billsey
    ErinOB1 said:
    Someone commented this above "I have an Acer Chrome book R11 and none of the reset strategies listed above worked. However, I pressed and held the small power button on the right edge of my computer beside the headphone jack. After holding for about 5 seconds it got my PC working again! This worked for me too but I don't see a place to "comment" on an individual post... only see this at the end.  Which honestly makes NO sense because 1) seems other people have individual comments within the original comment.  I don't have any type "reply to post" type link/button!!  2) Would seem logical to comment on the individual post!
    The easiest way to comment on a post is to "Quote" the post you wish to reply to. The long press is usually our first suggestion, since that forces a shutdown, leaving it ready to turn on normally.