Enable virtualization support - Gateway NE722

HEKPOMAH
HEKPOMAH Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I have Gateway NE722 notebook (AMD APU A4-5000 based). BIOS version 1.07. OS Windows 10 64-bit Home OEM.

Windows says that virtualization is disabled, Hyper-V support is enabled. I won't use Hyper-V but VirtualBox which don't allow to create 64-bit guests only 32-bits. So I assume that virtualization support is disabled in BIOS or Windows 10 Home block virtualization by enabling Hyper-V support and don't allow to use them in Home edition.

I didn't saw the virtualization-related items in BIOS so the question is to use another Windows edition (i.e. Pro) or ask manufacturer to release BIOS patch that show option and allow to enable the virtualization support.

Anybody knows about BIOS virtualization settings in Gateway NE722?

Answers

• aferraro21
    aferraro21 Member Posts: 37 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Acer is notorious for blocking the setting that allows for virtualization within the bios. Usually the only option is to locate a 3rd party or hacked bios from someone who has modified a version compatible with your chipset. First thing I would check for are any of the same machines that were sold under a different brand name. Then I would look on a site like bios-mods.com to see if someone unlocked settings on the factory OE bios.

I'm running a customized Acer aspire 5517 bios on my Acer aspire 5532, and I have the ability to customize some cpu settings like c1e and svm. Unfortunately no bios version to unlock virtualization which I know my amd Turion tl-66 supports.

Last thing to keep in mind, trying to flash with a 3rd part bios could potentially damage your computer. If the bios is corrupt, you could potentially brick your bios. Also if you change settings the factory blocked for a reason, you could potentially cause hardware damage like overheating, which a laptop unlike a desktop will be more prone to doing.

Good luck.
  • HEKPOMAH
    HEKPOMAH Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you for reply, I've already solved this trouble by setting appropriate BIOS variables default values from the UEFI console. Disrespect to Acer for those crippled BIOS settings. Smiley Indifferent

• walluswallus
    walluswallus Member Posts: 1 New User
    what was the commands u used to do that?
  • nkolvek
    nkolvek Member Posts: 1 New User
    HEKPOMAH said:

Thank you for reply, I've already solved this trouble by setting appropriate BIOS variables default values from the UEFI console. Disrespect to Acer for those crippled BIOS settings. Smiley Indifferent

Can you please post the steps you took to enable this setting please. It seems Acer in all their non-glory didn't feel this option was important...
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    @walluswallus & @nkolvek These BIOS features don't exist. Trying to reveal them with BIOS mods or  ---as stated above --- >>>trying to flash with a 3rd part bios could potentially damage your computer. If the bios is corrupt, you could potentially brick your bios.>>>. So I'd guess the reason you're both not getting an OP response is likely because the OP now has a bricked machine. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ