acer predator g9 793 bios update v1.14?????

asad814
asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
any one who has updated his bios to 1.14 please do tell me what changes are made????? thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Not yet, may be tomorrow and thanks for your post :)
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited April 2018
    No, I always find it prudent to wait and see with such matters.  You should also be mindful of Windows updates as Acer has pushed BIOS updates in the past and that can lead to trouble...

Q-6
  • asad814
    Queen6 said:
    No, I always find it prudent to wait and see with such matters.  You should also be mindful of Windows updates as Acer has pushed BIOS updates in the past and that can lead to trouble...

Q-6
    right lets wait

• Queen6
    Not suggesting others should be "Guinea Pig's" more that Acer may issue a change.  As stated just need to be mindful that Acer may push the update via Windows update given 1.14 is fundamentally a security update.  Previously some have incurred issue when this has happened resulting in corrupted BIOS.

Performance impact is another consideration, although I believe the 7700HQ will fair better than most mobile processors being at the higher level. Seems that NVME SSD's and or other CPU-centric PCIe hardware will take the biggest hit.

Q-6
  • brummyfan2
    Queen6 said:
    Not suggesting others should be "Guinea Pig's" more that Acer may issue a change.  As stated just need to be mindful that Acer may push the update via Windows update given 1.14 is fundamentally a security update.  Previously some have incurred issue when this has happened resulting in corrupted BIOS.

Performance impact is another consideration, although I believe the 7700HQ will fair better than most mobile processors being at the higher level. Seems that NVME SSD's and or other CPU-centric PCIe hardware will take the biggest hit.

Q-6

Yes, I am having second thoughts on the update mainly for the performance impact, thanks for the reminder.
  • Queen6
    Queen6 said:

Q-6

Yes, I am having second thoughts on the update mainly for the performance impact, thanks for the reminder.
    Much will depend on the usage and hardware the link in my post points towards the biggest hit being NVME storage, if you don't have any NVME SSD's installed then very likely business as usual, even if you do probably wont see much impact unless your copying huge files from drive to drive.

Personally I will update to 1.14 as my system is used professionally, nor do I want some random update form Acer and or Microsoft screwing up the notebook.  Remember that the OS and Microcode are already now patched (if on 1.12 or greater) I'm willing to take a 2% - 5% hit to ensure further security.

Q-6
  • asad814
    Queen6 said:
    Queen6 said:

Q-6

Much will depend on the usage and hardware the link in my post points towards the biggest hit being NVME storage, if you don't have any NVME SSD's installed then very likely business as usual, even if you do probably wont see much impact unless your copying huge files from drive to drive.

Personally I will update to 1.14 as my system is used professionally, nor do I want some random update form Acer and or Microsoft screwing up the notebook.  Remember that the OS and Microcode are already now patched (if on 1.12 or greater) I'm willing to take a 2% - 5% hit to ensure further security.

Q-6
    Queen6 please do inform us after bios update....
  • brummyfan2
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Updated to 1.14 and no ill effects so far, it was fast and hassle free.

• Queen6
    Hi,

Good to hear, as I say doubt there will be much impact to individual computers, more the big Cloud Service Providers.  I have to find time to update probably late next week.  Right now too busy just don't want to have to restart the system, with that being a couple of weeks of being released.

Q-6
  • brummyfan2
    Queen6 said:
    Hi,

Good to hear, as I say doubt there will be much impact to individual computers, more the big Cloud Service Providers.  I have to find time to update probably late next week.  Right now too busy just don't want to have to restart the system, with that being a couple of weeks of being released.

Q-6

Thanks, yes take your time and do it at a convenient time.
  • Queen6
    edited April 2018
    Worth a read:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/543063/heavy-performance-drops-since-bios-update#latest

A bit more detail would be welcome, lets see how it develops, rapidly deletes 1.14 =)=)=)

Q-6
  • brummyfan2
    edited April 2018
    Deleted and moved to the other thread.
  • sherpagoodness
    sherpagoodness Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

i took a chance and tried to find it on the ms download catalog website. i extracted the cab and installed the .inf and it updated open_mouth
    use at your own caution

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2018/03/ac88b822-6e59-49c8-b8fa-a8b0513c4216_1524852fe62d434296a1be6a7e5e710f00191660.cab
  • Queen6
    What is the DL, driver or BIOS update? If a driver the OS will automatically update, if BIOS you want that from Acer, and to be able to control when and where to flash the BIOS.

Caution being the operative word =)

Q-6
  • asad814
    Queen6 said:
    What is the DL, driver or BIOS update? If a driver the OS will automatically update, if BIOS you want that from Acer, and to be able to control when and where to flash the BIOS.

Caution being the operative word =)

Q-6
    queen6 whats your cpu frequency in idle on predator sense???

• Queen6
    edited April 2018
    Approximately 3GHz - 3.2GHz, however my G9-793 is set for best performance, if I set for better battery life CPU will cycle down to 800MHz/900MHz.  CPU is 7700HQ, BIOS 1.13

Q-6
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

Hi all,

BIOS 1.14 update included  Update Intel Microcode version to 0xC2 from 0xBA for Intel Side-Channel security issue.   

GENERAL INFORMATION - Microsoft and Intel have published general statements indicating the changes to make the hardware more secure may affect performance.  Some SKUs shipped with Kabylake CPUs and others shipped with Skylake CPUs.  The impact to the security feature may impact one technology more than another.  So the user experience may vary.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• MrFriendism
    MrFriendism Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    edited July 2018
    @Acer-Manny Could you share the Windows Update Link for 1.14 Bios for the Windows 10 and Acer Predator 15 (G9-593)?

So that I can download the update automatically and don't have to do manual stuff.

Thanks.
  • MrFriendism
    MrFriendism Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    Hi @Acer-Manny, I don't know how to update the bios manually. Isn't there any Windows Update Solution for this?