plugged in not charging when on low battery

Options
gr_reaper_20
gr_reaper_20 Member Posts: 111 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So i have been trying to resolve this issue for a long time now.
So far nothing has helped including calling acer support.

The thing is when i am gaming say under 30% while plugged in, my laptop won't charge and it says "plugged in not charging".
The good news is i don't lose any battery when this happens nor does it charge.As soon as I close the game, laptop starts charging.

On a lot of inspection i have found out that laptop stops charging as soon as the graphic card kicks in.
I can hear the fan noise and battery stops charging in spite of being plugged in.
Everything becomes normal as soon as the battery hits 40%+.

I have also tried playing with power management settings in nvidia settings but even that hasn't worked.

Any insights on this very peculiar problem are most welcome,
Thanks in advance.

PS:battery resetting doesn't work.

Hope that helped you.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited February 2018
    Options
    gr_reaper_20 

Discharging means that the laptop is consuming more power than PSU/motherboard is able to deliver. And then, when charge level of a battery goes down we need even more power to both continue working and charge the battery at the same time. 

You can try to fix the discharging issues by undervolting the CPU and GPU.  This helps with both temperatures and stable CPU and GPU clock speeds.. Nothing else to date has had any positive impact...

Also, you may check the current version of BIOS and update it to V 1.12 released to improve system performance.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • gr_reaper_20
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @Sharanji

battery doesn't discharge when it is plugged in neither does it charge as i have already mentioned.
    It just starts working directly on AC power cutting of the power from battery so it deosn't discharge.

I have already updated BIOS to v1.12.
    Didn't make a difference.
    Hope that helped you.
  • gr_reaper_20
    Options
    @Sharanji

Is this problem specific to my laptop?
    Hope that helped you.