Aspire A315-51 touchpad problem

Digisoul
Digisoul Member Posts: 6 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
It's about 2 weeks I purchased Aspire A315-51. It is a great laptop except for touchpad that is problematic, and what I mean is:
Problem 1) I upgraded the laptop from Linux Endless to Windows 10. I don't know if the touchpad is ELAN or Synaptic and neither of drivers on the Acer download list seems to work as a touchpad in devices list is written as a generic mouse although I installed both drivers.
Problem 2) First of all, all the surface of the touchpad is rather clicky. Last days when I play a (flash) game that needs quick moves with the touchpad and synchro left click with the other finger moving the cursor, it randomly pops up right click menu.

What I am thinking is if it is a driver problem and downloading touchpad driver's program might fix the problem.
Otherwise, I am afraid is a mechanical problem of the laptop. :/

PS. I am sorry for my bad English.

Comments

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,101 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Go to BIOS settings, go to Main tab, check whether Touchpad is in Basic mode, if it is switch to Advanced mode.

• Digisoul
    I changed it in Bios and finally, I installed ELAN driver and now touchpad is even more unstable. 
    Now sometimes cursor even lags and stop moving while I move the cursor while touching left click. Is there any ELAN program installed with the driver I don't see?
    I think I have to get in contact with dealership...
  • brummyfan2
    Digisoul said:
    I changed it in Bios and finally, I installed ELAN driver and now touchpad is even more unstable. 
    Now sometimes cursor even lags and stop moving while I move the cursor while touching left click. Is there any ELAN program installed with the driver I don't see?
    I think I have to get in contact with dealership...

Hi,
    Are you sure that you are using the right driver? How did you find out it's ELAN driver? Please check in Device manager, expand Human Interface Devices and check whether ELAN mentioned, once you make sure, go to BIOS and change the Touchpad mode to Basic, then install the driver, then go back again to BIOS and switch back to Advanced mode.

• Digisoul

After I installed both drivers I can tell that neither show up in Human Interface Devices BUT it does show up in Mice and other pointing Device as an ELAN I2C Filter Device while Synaptics does nothing. After I choose Basic in Bios I can tell it moves better but still lags and sometimes pops up the right-click menu.
    Another problem I found is that whenever I install Synaptic drivers I don't find them anywhere as a program on my disk, so I cannot even uninstall them or isn't Synaptic install anything anyway?
  • brummyfan2
    edited January 2018
    Hi,
    I have shown my Device manager as an example, you don't need to install both drivers, the Touchpad in your laptop is HID Compliant mouse and provided by either Synaptics or Elantech, so I would suggest you to uninstall the drivers for Touchpad and start again.
    1.Go to BIOS and make sure it's in Basic mode for Touchpad.
    2. Go to Acer support site, download Elantech driver only and install it.
    3. Go back to BIOS and switch the Touchpad mode to Advanced.
    HTH.
  • Digisoul
    I cannot find Synaptics drivers to uninstall it although it is installed.
  • brummyfan2
    Digisoul said:
    I cannot find Synaptics drivers to uninstall it although it is installed.

Hi,
    Don't bother looking for it, it might not have installed.
  • Digisoul

I did as you said, still Advanced mode with drivers installed make the laptop have the problem when left-clicking while scrolling and right click still randomly appears.
    Also, I can't find ELAN drivers program, only a folder named "Elantech" and inside 3 files, an .ico, an unistall.exe and a.dll. Is it supposed to work like this?
  • brummyfan2
    edited January 2018
    Hi,
    Could you please go to Device manager, expand Human Interface Device and Mice & Other pointing devices, post the snip( like mine), also find out the driver version( by right clicking Elantech in Device manager) and post.
    You could also try changing settings for your Touchpad, go to Settings, click Devices, click Touchpad in left pane and try changing the settings and check whether it helps.

• Digisoul
    I can't post screenshots. It says:
    • You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links.
    Touchpad doesn't appear in Human Interface Devices, it appears only in Mie and other pointing devices as an Elan device.
    I changed the options you said too but they doesn't affect the stability. I think the problem is that the touchpad's surface is recognized as a full-surface and so when I have two fingers on it it (the one just to left click) it just glitches. 
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    Sorry, I have run out of ideas but please wait for someone else to chime in.
  • ANAKITTY
    ANAKITTY Member Posts: 1 New User
    Olá. Queria saber de o ACER Aspire 3 A315-51-33C9 apresenta problemas e se alguém sabe qual o ano de lançamento. Obg