Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Acer Nitro 5 compatible HDD

Theinventor49Theinventor49 Posts: 1Member New User
edited March 2018 in Nitro and Aspire Gaming
Hello,

I have purchased an Acer Nitro 5 recently (Model No. AN515-5), and I noticed I could add another hard drive to it. I am aware I will need a mounting kit, however, I am not sure what hard drives are compatible with the computer. For example, will a 2.5 in Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB hard drive be compatible with the Nitro 5?

Thank you

Best Answer

FAQ & Answers

• brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 11,006ACE Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    Hi,
    Yes, it's compatible.
  • sdesiree09sdesiree09 Posts: 4Member New User
    edited January 2018
    I wish there was a compatibility checker that could be used, as I too an wondering if a different seagate drive will work in my nitro AN515.  

seagate 2tb firecuda gaming ssdh sata 6Gb/s 64MB cache 2.5 inch hard drive (ST2000LX001)

• brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 11,006ACE Trailblazer
    edited January 2018
    I wish there was a compatibility checker that could be used, as I too an wondering if a different seagate drive will work in my nitro AN515.  

seagate 2tb firecuda gaming ssdh sata 6Gb/s 64MB cache 2.5 inch hard drive (ST2000LX001)

Hi,
    Yes,you can install a 2.5" HDD up to 2TB in this model(AN515-51) and the HDD you have mentioned will work.
  • bkatsbkats Posts: 1Member New User
    I have the AN515 also with a 256 GB SSD. Could I add this drive: 

Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT525MX300SSD1

• bkats said:
    I have the AN515 also with a 256 GB SSD. Could I add this drive: 

Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT525MX300SSD1

Hi,
    Yes you can.
  • nitroAN515usernitroAN515user Posts: 2Member New User
    I spoke with chat support just now to ask if the new WesternDigital 2TB HDD, WD20SPZX, would be compatible with our AN515-51-705Q, and they said it would not be supported, and that our laptop only supports up to a 1TB HDD in the secondary.

This discussion thread would seem to indicate this is not correct. Could I have a official second opinion on this.

If the 2TB is supported, any idea why chat support said otherwise?
  • nitroAN515usernitroAN515user Posts: 2Member New User
    I contacted Acer chat support again to get clarification. According to that second conversation, the AN515-51 does support a 2TB secondary HDD. She provided the following information if it's helpful to anyone else:

"These are the specifications of the 2TB HDD that has been tested in your computer: HDD SEAGATE 2.5" 5400rpm 2000GB ST2000LM007 , 1R8174-188 , Rosewood 2TB ,7mmzh HDD SATA III 128MB LF F/W:ACM1."
  • frigginjoefrigginjoe Posts: 1Member New User
    Sorry to bump the thread, but the mounting kit; I saw a couple links where support linked the Predator Helios 300 kit to add a second drive, but I would like to be certain that's compatible with the Nitro 5 AN-515 I bought.

I don't recall having such a tough time finding a specific piece of info for what is likely a very commonly sought after upgrade on a laptop like this.
    Is there a known good part number or compatible piece for this anyone's used themselves?
  • Tommy1001Tommy1001 Posts: 1Member New User
    I had a question myself on external hard drives. so I got a acer nitro 5 for Christmas and I've ran out of storage and was wondering about buying a external hard drive. will the Buffalo MiniStation Metro Portable 500 GB Flex work on my laptop and if so what cable would I need to connect it