my Aspire 5 A515-51g 51MU abruptly shuts down on battery operation

Venkatraman
Venkatraman Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
When I working on battery,  i observed my 2 days old laptop getting shutting down (sudden blank). I saw it few times today.  I saw once on when charger connected as well . Also after work, I close the lid and came home and saw it shutdown. 
Should I return the laptop or is there a fix.

rgds

Best Answer

• Venkatraman
    Answer ✓
    Call Acer Support. They updated BIOS first and then lubricated the battery sensor switch by repeatedly pressing it. They say its a known problem, when the laptop lies unused for long time in Stock, this switch get stuck.

Answers

• Venkatraman
    Hi,
    When I working on battery,  i observed my 2 days old laptop getting shutting down (sudden blank). I saw it few times today.  I saw once on when charger connected as well . Also after work, I close the lid and came home and saw it shutdown. 

rgds
    note: I put the system on sleep before closing the lid
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You try updating the BIOS. Download the latest BIOS from here, which 1.12. Before executing the installation make sure battery is fully charged and laptop connected to charger. The device may restart several time during the installation, so don't turn it off.

If updating the BIOS doesn't help, return the laptop.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Hi,

rgds
    Hi,
    You could also try a battery reset, switch off the laptop, disconnect from mains(remove AC adapter) and follow the instructions in the video:https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    First try to do a simple power reset by disconnecting the AC adapter. Turn off the computer and remove the battery pack. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then release the power button. Connect the AC adapter and power ON the laptop to check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, try to boot your laptop in safe mode. To begin entering Windows 7 Safe Mode, turn on or restart your PC.  Immediately after the computer is powered on or restarted (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key in 1 second intervals.

Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight either the Safe Mode and press Enter. After you login into windows, make any changes you need to make and then restart the computer. Assuming there are no remaining issues preventing it, the computer should boot to Windows 7 normally after a restart.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Venkatraman
    edited December 2017
    Thank you all for the quick responses. Yesterday I disabled the NVIDIA display driver, and put to sleep. Today I found, it is not down. Will observe for some time. If problem exists, I will try above options as well and update. 
  • Venkatraman
    note: my model have no plug and play battery option.  I think it is inbuilt.
  • Venkatraman
    Answer ✓
    Call Acer Support. They updated BIOS first and then lubricated the battery sensor switch by repeatedly pressing it. They say its a known problem, when the laptop lies unused for long time in Stock, this switch get stuck.
  • raj585
    raj585 Member Posts: 1 New User
    is there any solution for this issue as i also facing this problem in my laptop with windows 10 ???
  • Alannglopez
    Alannglopez Member Posts: 24 Networker
    i have the same problem with this! the computer shut down!
  • Alannglopez
    no solution i update the drivers, the bios still shuting down!
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    edited August 2018
    Hi,
    There's a micro switch just above the RAM module, when you open the memory door, it cuts the power to the motherboard, there's a rubber pad on the door and when you close the door it presses this button and switch on the power for motherboard.
    Open the memory door at the back, inspect whether the rubber pad is worn out or the switch is damaged. If the rubber pad is worn out or damaged, use some electrical tape to expand it's thickness so that it can make proper contact with the switch.
    Microswitch is marked with red square and the pad is with yellow rectangle in my snip.

• Alannglopez
    Hi,
    There's a micro switch just above the RAM module, when you open the memory door, it cuts the power to the motherboard, there's a rubber pad on the door and when you close the door it presses this button and switch on the power for motherboard.
    Open the memory door at the back, inspect whether the rubber pad is worn out or the switch is damaged. If the rubber pad is worn out or damaged, use some electrical tape to expand it's thickness so that it can make proper contact with the switch.
    Microswitch is marked with red square and the pad is with yellow rectangle in my snip.

brummyfan2 thank you very much! yesterday I put a little piece of rubber and used it all day in battery and for the moment it has worked perfectly...for the moment I'll tell you if it fails again, but for the moment it´s working pefectly sorry for my bad english!.!
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,

brummyfan2 thank you very much! yesterday I put a little piece of rubber and used it all day in battery and for the moment it has worked perfectly...for the moment I'll tell you if it fails again, but for the moment it´s working pefectly sorry for my bad english!.!
    You are welcome :)
  • Paulo_Alvarenga
    Paulo_Alvarenga Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi,

Thank you very much. This was annoying me and the problem was in that switch!
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,

Thank you very much. This was annoying me and the problem was in that switch!
    You are welcome, that switch is fragile and take care when you open the RAM door or the back cover for any maintenance.
  • Syedakif
    Syedakif Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited October 2018
    Is the issue resolved now?
    I have the same laptop and sometimes it shuts itself down unexpectedly.
  • habeeb1998
    habeeb1998 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I had the same problem but I didn't notice the problem when the laptop was connected to AC, I tried resetting the battery, uninstalling that Microsoft thing in device manager but nothing seemed to work, I saw tightening the screws was a solution, so i tightened all the screws slightly and it worked
  • JCM77
    JCM77 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Reviving this old thread to ask a question. I have an Acer Aspire A515-51 with a C5V01 LA-891P Rev 1C motherboard with no power, no lights coming on whatsoever. 

I believe that the issue is that I am completely missing the SWG1 switch, it is NOT soldered to the board.  I have the foam backing on the door, it aligns to the spot where the switch should be but no switch.

It has been hard to find schematics or even pictures of Rev 1c  to compare to Rev 1a but from what I can tell it appears to have broken off.  It's not in the case but I am also not the first to take it apart.

Am I able to jump the terminals to bypass the switch?  Even if only to test.

• mlapenna
    mlapenna Member Posts: 1 New User
    Looks like this problem still exists.  This was exactly the problem for me.  I pasted a thin rubber piece onto the back of the plate and screwed in the plate firmly.  Fixed.  Thanks - I would never have thought of this.
This discussion has been closed.