Aspire GX-781 SSD is not recognized with error "Reboot and select proper boot device"

ala
ala Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives

Hi,

my aspire GX-781 is not booting. It gives error "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key". Based on the articles here and on the other forums I assume the bios needs an update. Unfortunately update download ( https://www.acer.com/ac/fi/FI/content/support-product/7092?b=1 ) gives only the update files, not the files/instructions to make bootable flashdrive. There is related article for different models here ( https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47093#_ga=2.177447333.1207951462.1507998793-1693232860.1507998793). Is it ok to use the same boot files for gx-781? Obviously update from the windows is not an option. Or do I really need to send the pc to the service centrer for bios update?

Could Acer team complete the update packages and instructions so that the update can be done from flash drive?  Now the update packages are not usable.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Hi,

I would suggest you to try the methods in this link before thinking about BIOS update:https://neosmart.net/wiki/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/ 

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

first thing i would try is to boot to BIOS pressing Del key at boot and check if your SSD is listed on BIOS, main screen or under SATA peripherals.

if not

you can try a CMOS reset:

unplug the AC power cord, open the left side of your PC case (front looking), look for a silver round battery and take it off.

press power button twice, wait 5 minutes and then put everything back and boot pressing Del key to enter BIOS.

if your SSD is listed, boot to windows and update the BIOS from windows.

the EFI way, suggested on your link, can be applied to your model too, but it needs some file tweaks.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ala
    ala Member Posts: 2 New User

SSD is not listed on the bios list.

Vendors website had many comments from customers describing the same problem and that they needed to sent the pc for service where bios was update to fix the problem. So I tried the update;

1) copied boor&shell files

Bootx64.efi

Shellx64.efi

Shell.efi

startup.nsh

from this package: https://us.answers.acer.com/euf/assets/images/answers/files/zip/g3_710_bios_recovery.zip

To flash drivefolder X:\EFI\BOOT.

2) Tested that it boots and starts the shell, OK

3) Copied the other files from actual upadate package BIOS_Acer_R02-A3_A_A.zip\ to the flash drive

4) followed the instructions (folder structure is different on the update guide than in the zip file, so tried few locations for the files)

5) result is that the update start right after typing flash.nsh (it starts right afuefix64 ..\rom\r02-a3.cap /P /B /N /R)

But is always stops for following error:

"4-Error: ROM fiel ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID"

5) First I tried to install the latest update, no success. Then, (just to make sure) trid to install the oldest update first, same result.

Need to call the vendor/acer service tomorrow I guess. 

This is my first acer pc and my first impression is the what ever is available on the support pages is pretty crappy on quality.... manuals are not matching to the distributed files, files missing from the distribution zip's, uncomplete manuals/guides...  

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

yes, contact Acer support service.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hello all,

The publication is closed due to its age, if you still have problems with your computer, I invite you to open a new question or post so that the users of the Acer community can guide you.

Thank you,
    Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.